This curve is being used as my work phone/email device, so that means I am ... BlackBerry Curve forum

rickgrob no está en línea Stack level 1

Problem loading media to media card

Advertisement

This curve is being used as my work phone/email device, so that means I am connected to our company's BES. As part of the security policy, the ability to turn on Mass Storage mode is prevented. I thought that I could still load media through the Roxio Media Manager, but it doesn't appear to be working. When connected, I see under "My Devices" the following:
    - BlackBerry 8300-PIN XXXXXX [Device Memory]
    - BlackBerry 8300-PIN XXXXXX [Media Card]

When I attempt to click onto the [Media Card] entry, it says "Please activate Mass Storage mode on your device". Which, of course, I can't do.

So how do I get anything on the card?

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: Problem loading media to media card

you cannot on roxio with out the ability to turn on mass storage. so 1) talk IT dept into allowing that ( not too likely) 2) download a desktop manager that does not include roxio ( not sure if there is one on the 8300 as i do not own one) 3) get a card reader that will plug into the usb and trans directly to the card (takes an extra step but will work)

Thanks for the response, it is surprising that they did it this way. I can't be the only enterprise user who is locked out of Mass Storage mode. Does anyone know what version of the Desktop might still work?

So, as a follow up, (and another request for help I am afraid) I have installed the 4.2.1 version of Desktop Manager that does not have the Roxio Media Manager and I now have a different problem. Perhaps I should start a new thread, but I will give it a shot here.

I have ripped an episode of Battlestar Galactica from my Season 1 DVD set and have it in a 350Mb file. Trying to transfer that file to my near empty 2GB media card is giving me an error every time. The transfer begins, and it gets perhaps one bar into the progress meter when the transfer stops and an error message appears. The message doesn't have anything helpful other than an error occured. The other interesting fact though is that when the error message pops up, I immediately get a dialog box asking for my device password. This is strange, as I have already entered the password when the device was initialy connected to USB. This BB is connected to my company BES, and has encryption turned on for the media card. On the other hand, I have transfered many mp3's without any issue.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great. If I took out the MicoSD and loaded an unencrypted media file on the card would it work? I would have tried this already but don't have a separate reader/writer to test. If it would work I would happily buy one.

Dream Rider no está en línea Stack level 3

You might be coming up against the max "device memory limit" so your solution of using a card reader to download the large file to your media card is logical. The cost of a card reader in minimal and worth a try.
    If you're going to dream - Dream Large!

Just to post the follow up to this particular issue, purchasing a USB reader/writer did indeed allow for large content to be moved to the media card. While it is unencrypted, the BB doesn't seem to care, it only encrypts what the device itself writes. This is somewhat cumbersome, as the location of the media card is very inconvenient. One word of caution for those going down the same trail, make sure you buy a true "High Speed USB 2.0" reader/writer. When purchasing mine, I saw many that were misleading (but not fraudulent) in claiming to be "USB 2.0". They simply comply to the 2.0 interface spec without supporting the 480 Mb/s speeds. Given the purpose of this is to move large blocks of data, you will want the true "High Speed" supporting device. Cost me $20 at Fry's.

Thanks for the help.