I have been in and out of the t-mobile store 3 times, talked with them ... BlackBerry Curve forum

seadd2005 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Pre-Sales Question Curve 8320 from t-mobile

Advertisement

I have been in and out of the t-mobile store 3 times, talked with them on the phone and I still can't seem to get the right answer.

What is the advantage of having the Curve with wi-fi capabilities if I do not subscribe to the t-mobile hotspot service?? Will I be able to use any wi-fi router for phone calls? Will I be able to use wi-fi for surfing the web??

I am trying to figure out what I need to talk using wi-fi at home and not eat into my cell minutes. Can someone help clarify since most sales reps seem to have no idea?!

Thanks in advance!

payoob no está en línea Stack level 2
    i have an 8320 and use the wi-fi without a @home plan. if you make calls, it just uses your cell minutes, but surfing the web with it is free assuming you have a data plan.

edit: the advantage is not having to rely on spotty service in certain places (ie my apartment that is completely encased in concrete) by using a wi-fi router. and it works with almost any router, havent had a problem with one yet

Dansnov1086 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    245FEDBE
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

With the @home service for 9.99 a month, all calls on wifi are unlimited and do not eat into your minutes. That includes calls made at home on wife, at an airport on wifi, or at a starbucks on their wifi. Its a neat deal. Another benefit to wifi is increased data speeds as well as ensuring the phone always has service, even if cell coverage is weak.

chsguyi69 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    215B74E3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Our family uses 3 Blackberrt Curves on a TMO family plan. 2 of the 3 are on the blackberry data plan. First of all the wifi part works with or without the hotspots plan or the data plan. Advantage for this feature is using the phone any place with open wifi. This is nice in places where the cell phone towers start to fail you. For my two sons the their phones work better on campus using the free wifi than the TMO towers. Add to that for my son without the blackberry plan he can surf the internet anyplace with wifi. I am not at as many places with open wifi so I like having the BB data plan. It's a good phone. For me the best I have ever owned. But I have learned to take full adavanatge of the different features. If you have TMO already check on Craigslist on buying a used one. There is not contract upgrade that way. Sometime before the holidays new phones will be released and the curve will be sold off by people changing just because there is a new one. You will love this phone.

Quote Originally Posted by chsguyi69 View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Our family uses 3 Blackberrt Curves on a TMO family plan. 2 of the 3 are on the blackberry data plan. First of all the wifi part works with or without the hotspots plan or the data plan. Advantage for this feature is using the phone any place with open wifi. This is nice in places where the cell phone towers start to fail you. For my two sons the their phones work better on campus using the free wifi than the TMO towers. Add to that for my son without the blackberry plan he can surf the internet anyplace with wifi. I am not at as many places with open wifi so I like having the BB data plan. It's a good phone. For me the best I have ever owned. But I have learned to take full adavanatge of the different features. If you have TMO already check on Craigslist on buying a used one. There is not contract upgrade that way. Sometime before the holidays new phones will be released and the curve will be sold off by people changing just because there is a new one. You will love this phone.
    This is where I think I am confused along with the reps at tmo. You say

"Advantage for this feature is using the phone any place with open wifi. This is nice in places where the cell phone towers start to fail you. For my two sons the their phones work better on campus using the free wifi than the TMO towers."

Can you make calls on a open wi-fi?? I did not think that you could. I thought that it had to be a tmo hotspot? If you could make calls on an open wi-fi, what would be the use of the $9.99 per month fee??

Thanks again for all of the repsonse. Sad that you can't get these kinds of questions answered by people who sell these things for a living!

PIN/ID
    215B74E3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ yes any open wifi. The calls are supposed to be better on a hotspot wifi, but I never even set up my hotspot router. Keep in mind the phone can use open wifi with or without the hotspot plan. Difference is how the minutes are counted. With plan use of the phone on open wifi is free. With no plan the minutes used are counted. In our case I pay the ten bucks and it covers all3 of our phones.My freind uses his without a plan just to have a clear call in his house. He also used it overseas with hotel wifi with no extra billing. Keep in mind if you have the password on secure wifi it works too.

PIN/ID
    215B74E3
    sent a private message to you on this. call me if its easier

Quote Originally Posted by chsguyi69 View Post
    sent a private message to you on this. call me if its easier
    Thanks for the info! Tried to pm you but it said I needed at least 10 posts to send a pm. Since I am new here, that is not going to happen today.

So, it sounds like I can use any wi-fi to make calls, but it will count against my minutes unless I have the hotspot plan for $9.99 per month, correct? Don't want to get into all of the details, but how the heck does TMO know the difference if I am using their router or someone else's??

Thanks for all of the replies. I am glad I found this forum today. You guys know more about the equipment than all of the TMO reps that I have talked with! I will be checking back in once I finally get my phone. I want to use it as much as possible with my pc and not let it become a paper weight like my pda.

Any better deals buying online as opposed to a local TMO rep?

Thanks!

PIN/ID
    215B74E3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ The TMO computer counts all mins. So without a plan you will be billed mins. The wifi part still works and is cool just goes against your mins. We also use favorite five along with grandcental numbers to stretch our mins. It all depends on your calling pattern. As to the internet, I use it all the time from my blackberry.

wyy183 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AAA616
    Sounds like you have a handle on how the hotspot thing works. I have a MyFaves plan so I don't need the hotspot thing...

As far as better deals on- line, there are places all over that offer good deals. One thing I did was I went through a couple of on-line places and the printed off the "deal" sheet that showed price of phone, service(s), etc., then I took it in to my local TMO store. They sweated for a while and then came "close" to the on-line price (they threw in some accessories to equal it out...)

Just my $0.02

David

bobbo7915 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2435AF29
    yes you can find much better deals online then through the store, wirefly.com . i just bought a curve and a pearl with car chargers on a new t-mobile family plan...cost me $26....

also with the hotspot plan, you do not need the t-mobile router (just something else they are trying to sell) with that plan,, it does not matter where you are getting the WIFI, it will not count against your minutes