I am looking at purchasing the 8320 for the use of international travel communications via ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Ericbl no está en línea Stack level 2

Portable Wifi Router

Advertisement

I am looking at purchasing the 8320 for the use of international travel communications via voip. I purchased the Apple Airport Express to use as a portable router (hooking directly into the Ethernet cable in the hotel room). I have seen on a couple of posts that the Apple router does not support UMA. Can anyone confirm, or recommend a portable router that is successful pairing with the 8320?

Thanks in advance.

Eric

pcwizpcwiz no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32ae40a5

Re: Portable Wifi Router

What is your definition of portable. I don't know how big the Airport Express is but the Linksys they sell is not huge and can easily fit in a laptop bag. If they still offer the rebate it's basically free pay $50 plus tax get $50 back, plus it has some features that make it easier to use with phone like hitting a button on it (missing from regular Linksys routers) sends the encryption key to your phone.

I airport express is about the size of a deck of cards, looking at returning it. just carrying so much in my backpack now, I have a 30 day return policy on the router, the rep at T.Mobile was the one who told me to hold off on the phone until I am ready to travel, I can set the system up and if it does not work I will be home to return it. I have zero issues with my 8700g but the voip is a great feature if I can get it to work on the road.

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Constant issues with airport express for me. I took it back for a linksys rangemax. Not really portable, but I had a constant drop of UMA and wifi connection with the Apple product, and zero since I switched to the Linksys.

Thanks Toddboy, I will hand it back over to Best Buy and purchase the router from T.Mobile with the rebate.

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    No prob Eric!

qbangringo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    302C0803

Hey I have a question for you guys that are using UMA! Does that really work and allow you to get free calls with the wifi anywhere in the world? Thanks! Cause I thought you had to buy a Tmobile router or use a Tmobile Hotspot in order to get the Wifi at home working ? Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by qbangringo View Post
    Hey I have a question for you guys that are using UMA! Does that really work and allow you to get free calls with the wifi anywhere in the world? Thanks! Cause I thought you had to buy a Tmobile router or use a Tmobile Hotspot in order to get the Wifi at home working ?
    Thanks!!!
    Ill let you know Im leaving for the middle east thursday.