Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So I was messing with my brand new 8900 using the camera and in the ... BlackBerry Curve forum

bofeity no está en línea Stack level 3

Pixels in camera?

Advertisement

So I was messing with my brand new 8900 using the camera and in the viewing mode I noticed that a set of 2 pixels were showing up ONLY in particular spots when I would move the camera. They would fade in and out based on what colors were being viewed. They don't occur in any other places (menus, or pictures) so I don't think they are dead pixels... It only occurs in some areas.

Has anyone had this happen to their 8900? What is it? A camera defect or rendering issue? Should I be worried? Also, I was using the camera viewer in relatively low lighting in my room at nighttime.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    it sounds like dead pixels. i would bring it back with the receipt and exchange it
    The BlackBerry Guru

[x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter

Yeah.. I am afraid it may be.. but thas's okay. I have 14 days so I will go exchange it. When I use the digital zoom, they get more prominent, and that's what makes me feel more like they are dead pixels...

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    digital zoom makes no difference, it would still be only the dead pixels, they would not get bigger or more prominate i dont think because they should still take up the same amount of space = being 1 pixel?

Do you have anything set on auto, such as flash, maybe it is some type of indicator or switching focus.
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

beefstew4 no está en línea Stack level 1
    im not sure about the policy on these phones, but i do know that on most lcd hi res screens most companies will not take back a product for only a couple of dead pixels. There is a limit, for example sony's psp, sony will not take back a psp (or most stores for that matter) for anything less than 5 dead pixels. I tried to return mine for the same issue and they said no way. something to do with the nature of the manufacturing process. Read the manual it might say something about it in there.

Well it shows up in my pictures now... It shows up in the same spot in 2 consecutive pictures that I took in a row... I am not sure exactly what they are...

Perhaps it's not dead pixels like you say.... but rather a camera rendering issue. That's why it gets bigger when I use digital zoom...

Needless to say, it's not normal.. I think Tmobile is usually good about exchanges...

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    Lol, maybe specs on your lens cover, use a qtip and try to clean it,,, that would make it bigger if you zoomed, and they would be in the same spot..... Outside chance but you never know... possibly you work in a place with sanding or painting going on, but then it wouldnt happen only some times, unless its reflective, and only feeding back when the light is rightand blends in when its dark. shrugs
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Thanatos504 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by rashard View Post
    Lol, maybe specs on your lens cover, use a qtip and try to clean it,,, that would make it bigger if you zoomed, and they would be in the same spot..... Outside chance but you never know... possibly you work in a place with sanding or painting going on, but then it wouldnt happen only some times, unless its reflective, and only feeding back when the light is rightand blends in when its dark. shrugs
    Yeah, sounds like a good deal to me. If it were a dead pixel it would stay constant size regardless of zoom. What clarifies the issue is that it shows up on the picture itself, meaning it is probably some dust on the lens.
    “There is no limit to the good you can do if you don’t care who gets the credit.”

--General George C. Marshall, USA

Cmon guys... Do you really think I would make a huge post about some 'lint' on the lens? No

It is a rendering issue. The 2 specks (yes AFTER I inspected the lens for physical pieces of lint/debris/etc/etc) stay in the SAME spot and flicker occasionally.

Several reasons why they are NOT dead pixels: 1: they don't show up on any other menus, colors, pictures, etc., OUTSIDE of the camera viewer and on the pictures taken from the camera, 2: digital zoom would enlarge a malfunction in the light being captured on/in the lens. It appears the camera is not rendering the light being captured in those 2 particular positions. Dead pixels that I have seen on LCD monitors, for example, appear on ALL entities displayed on the monitor. This is NOT the case here as the 2 specks don't show up anywhere else BUT things related to the camera/viewer.

ADDITIONALLY, 3 times now the camera viewer went into a haywire colored-noise (like white noise on your old TV's) bout after I either initialized it from start, coming back from taking a picture (via pressing escape key from having taken a picture), or coming back to the camera from the camera options.

My conclusion is that, the camera is messed up
    Last edited by bofeity; 02-12-2009 at 03:09 AM.

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    If the camera is messed up, that's more of a reason to exchange the phone.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by bofeity View Post
    Cmon guys... Do you really think I would make a huge post about some 'lint' on the lens? No

It is a rendering issue. The 2 specks (yes AFTER I inspected the lens for physical pieces of lint/debris/etc/etc) stay in the SAME spot and flicker occasionally.

Several reasons why they are NOT dead pixels: 1: they don't show up on any other menus, colors, pictures, etc., OUTSIDE of the camera viewer and on the pictures taken from the camera, 2: digital zoom would enlarge a malfunction in the light being captured on/in the lens. It appears the camera is not rendering the light being captured in those 2 particular positions. Dead pixels that I have seen on LCD monitors, for example, appear on ALL entities displayed on the monitor. This is NOT the case here as the 2 specks don't show up anywhere else BUT things related to the camera/viewer.

ADDITIONALLY, 3 times now the camera viewer went into a haywire colored-noise (like white noise on your old TV's) bout after I either initialized it from start, coming back from taking a picture (via pressing escape key from having taken a picture), or coming back to the camera from the camera options.

My conclusion is that, the camera is messed up
    Exchange your phone, its still brand new - no need to take chances.

Yeah I was going to this morning but they are sold out everywhere where I live. I called CS and she told me it is a defect, obviously, and that I should go next week and exchange it... sigh

So I will be returning this one for another 8900 either on Sunday or next week when the retail stores get a new batch.

Has anyone else noticed that the scrolling between menu items in the folders is sometimes sluggish? After I do a reset/reboot, it is smooth and fast scrolling like the home screen, but then the items in the folders get sluggish? Like the applications and instant messaging folders... ?

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Hmmm nothing here... maybe you just have a bad unit lol :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast