is it possible to do use the bb as a pin to pin messenger without ... BlackBerry Curve forum

DanXP no está en línea Stack level 2

pin messaging w/o sim?

Advertisement

is it possible to do use the bb as a pin to pin messenger without the sim card?

i have an old bb that i want to use strictly to send and receive msgs via bb pin messenger...

we could make an emergency call without a sim, can't we?

blkbryadict no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: pin messaging w/o sim?

Yes you can make an emergency phone call, but the PIN feature requires the unlimited data that the service providers have. The answer would be no, you are not able to PIN without an active SIM. I have worked for at&t for 4 years and never heard of anyone doing it.

DanXP no está en línea Stack level 2

thanks for the quick reply...

so does my pin message (or corp email or any msg for that matter) go through this path?
    - my bb > my carrier > bb ent server > bb server > recip bb ent server > recip carrier > recip bb

i have no idea, but i just wanted to see how msgs/emails travel...

jhowle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3115EE05

you phone has to be conected to some sort of service to use anyform of messaging. to be connected network you need a sim card inserted so your phone will get the required service books to be able to do so.
    Looking for new buddies. Add me pin# 3115EE05

vinmontRD no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by blkbryadict View Post
    Yes you can make an emergency phone call, but the PIN feature requires the unlimited data that the service providers have. The answer would be no, you are not able to PIN without an active SIM. I have worked for at&t for 4 years and never heard of anyone doing it.
    The ability to make an emergency call without a SIM is not universal. If you read the following article, you'll get a bit more of a sense of the issues involved:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_telephone_number

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Just as a test (and out of boredom) I was surprised at what numbers did come up as emergency numbers when I tried them on my BB. 999, 911, and 112 all operate as an emergency number in my 8700c.

Zo