Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Originally Posted by 2-4Trippin archer6 - do you know the other dimensions of the 8300 ... BlackBerry Curve forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Re: (Photos) The BlackBerry 83xx - Specifications

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by 2-4Trippin
    archer6 - do you know the other dimensions of the 8300 (height & thickness)?

Thanks
    Sure, here are sizes of the various models for comparison

114 x 66 x 14.0mm - 8800
    106 x 60 x 15.5mm - 8300
    115 x 56 x 18.0mm - 7130
    107 x 50 x 14.5mm - 8100

So as one can see by these dimensions that each of the four models listed is nicely differentiated from the others.

This is the precise reason I simply _do _not _understand _why they discontinued the 7130? (my favorite)

I have seen it argued that it was discontinued because it was replaced by the Pearl. Now, I would agree with that if indeed the Pearl and 7130 were of similar size both overall, and in the keyboard area. However the keyboard of my 7130c is substantially larger with bigger keys and wider spacing between them. As a result I can type faster, more accurately than the qwerty on either my 8700c or my 8800. I never thought I would like the SureType better as I was a hard core qwerty user with the previous devices I had, Treo's, a Moto-Q and Blackjack. However the combination of SureType and large keyboard on the 7130 is the best of all, as least for me. When put side by side the keys on the 7130 are larger with more spacing than both the 8700 & 8800.

By eliminating the 7130 from the lineup RIM just reduced the sales numbers. Instead I believe that if they would have promoted the 7130 or given the carriers an incentive to do so, when it was a current model, they would be selling very well today. Personally, the moment I got wind that they were going to be discontinued I immediately ordered a spare, as I plan on using the 7130 series as my main BB for quite some time.

I will wait until they have all the bugs out of the newer OS and devices before I make another purchase. Especially since I currently have the 8100, 7130 (2), 8700 & 8800 models.

The only model that currently is somewhat attractive to me is the 8300, that is because upon close scrutiny of close up pictures of the keyboard, it appears that RIM has once again returned to properly shaped keys, with spacing between them. But I've got to put one in my hands to see if it has the right ergonomics.

Quote Originally Posted by HotWax
    Wow, no GPS? I was hoping to give up my 8800, don't care for the keypad, but I hate to give up my GPS.
    I agree!

....... and by the way... Nice Avatar!

Cheers
    Last edited by archer6; 04-21-2007 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Automerged.

2-4Trippin no está en línea Stack level 3

Thanks for the dimensions archer6, that 8300 will be tiny for a full Qwerty, but I love how the width of the phone is just a little bit bigger than the screen. Maximum screen width in the narrowest possible package.

As for the 7130, I understand what your saying, but with the evolutionary success of the tiny 8100, RIM's future devices look to be small, slim and slick. The SureType keyboard will be utilized on RIM's smallest devices, but Qwerty will probably rule all sizes above that.

Some folks just won't give the proprietary SureType keyboard a shot, or they tried it and didn't like it. Hand someone your 7130 and ask them to dial 1-800-GOOG411... they'll have to think about it! That's a little, stupid example of a occasional situation, but it's those little incompatibilities and the learning curve of using a proprietary keyboard, that keep it from mainstream acceptance.

I'm with you, I'm waiting for the 8300, I think it will be the perfect BB for me... until Santa brings me a 9xxx at Christmas!

mcm180 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    mcm180
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddboy71
    I hear there will be no email function, BBM or Internet on this unit however.... oh wait, I guess I'm just still infuriated that my BB is still down!! =) LOL
    Hahahaha

In stitches over here!

I'm with you, I'm waiting for the 8300, I think it will be the perfect BB for me... until Santa brings me a 9xxx at Christmas!
    Ditto kiddo .... Can't wait for the 8320 to come out 4 T-mobile! Man!!!! Was Not even done drooling over that one and now you've gone ahead and mentioned the 9000 series! Lol gonna send you the bill, to get my Pearl fixed due to the water damage or should I say saliva damage! Hahaha
    Last edited by mcm180; 04-23-2007 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Automerged.

Thanks for the dimensions archer6, that 8300 will be tiny for a full Qwerty, but I love how the width of the phone is just a little bit bigger than the screen. Maximum screen width in the narrowest possible package.

As for the 7130, I understand what your saying, but with the evolutionary success of the tiny 8100, RIM's future devices look to be small, slim and slick. The SureType keyboard will be utilized on RIM's smallest devices, but Qwerty will probably rule all sizes above that.

Some folks just won't give the proprietary SureType keyboard a shot, or they tried it and didn't like it. Hand someone your 7130 and ask them to dial 1-800-GOOG411... they'll have to think about it! That's a little, stupid example of a occasional situation, but it's those little incompatibilities and the learning curve of using a proprietary keyboard, that keep it from mainstream acceptance.

You do bring up a very good point about people's reluctance or outright refusal to give a new input system like SureType a shot. Then conversely, I do understand and have no criticism of those who are simply sticking with qwerty. After all that's the beauty of the BB lineup and the choices provided. I have never viewed one BB over the other as the "best" because I do not see it as a contest. Rather a wonderful opportunity to have choices that allow each of us to find the BB best suited to our individual needs.

I am very eager to get my hands on an 8300. It will be very interesting to see what it's like to use two hands typing on the relatively small keyboard. However that said, and after I have spent some time scrutinizing the recent pictures, that show the keyboard very clearly, I'm thinking that it may very well be a pleasant surprize. It could turn out to be one of the best yet. In my personal opinion the keys are perfectly shaped and spaced, relative to the overall size of the device. Time will tell.

Cheers...

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

I'm in love with this BB. seriously. I visit this thread every morning lol

darryl71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    retired

how does the size of this, compare to the Treo? I am guessing they are about the same width??

I am SOOOOOO loving this device... want one bad !!

where are those steps again for stomping on the foot of the guy with the demo version??? Might need to make sure he is damaged before I bolt !! LOL
    Last edited by darryl71; 04-24-2007 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Automerged.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    Quote Originally Posted by hayden
    I hear you on that one hayden. I definately love this device. I look at pictures of it everyday. I admit it I'm a crackberry addict.

[IFC]Area51 no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by archer6
    114 x 66 x 14.0mm - 8800
    106 x 60 x 15.5mm - 8300
    115 x 56 x 18.0mm - 7130
    107 x 50 x 14.5mm - 8100
    WOW, a mm shorter than the pearl and a bit wider (of course for the full qwerty), cant freaking wait for this BB to come out. If any BB gets better than the 83xx series then RIM wants us to go to rehabilitation, hahahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by hayden
    You took the words right out of my mouth. Thanks!

And better yet, I showed your post to my wife..... so now she knows that I'm not quite as sick as she thought.....

Then the humor got better..... she says "at least it's not another woman"....LOL....

So little did you realize when writing your post, you would be helping out another BB Addict....Yay!

The truth be told, prior to owning my first BlackBerry, not even I would have imagined what a delight it would be to have a device that works so well, does so many things quickly, easily and makes my daily task of communicating with my employees, mgrs, customers, friends and family so easy and convenient.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by darryl71
    how does the size of this, compare to the Treo? I am guessing they are about the same width?
    106 x 60 x 15.5mm - 8300

111 x 58 x 22.0mm - Treo

BlackBerrys RULE!

BBschmuck no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E198CD
    Quote Originally Posted by BBNUT#1
    It looks like a 8320 to me. i thought that the 83xx was going to have GPS, WiFi, and a camera. I am also guessing its going to be CDMA.
    From what I understand, there will be different versions with different hardware. One, supposedly, is going to have GPS built in. 3 different versions is what I heard.

mi0j no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

I'd give my firstborn child for this phone right now.

taiisha no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23e965b9

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I work for Cingular and I haven't heard a hard date for the launch. But! All cingy users can request me and I will send out a mass pin first come first served!

kiltedtech no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    Ask me

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    This is what I have been looking for all my life! Ok maybe a bit of an exaggeration but not by much.

hls811 no está en línea I dress myself!
    PIN/ID
    30B8DA04

Quote Originally Posted by archer6
    Sure, here are sizes of the various models for comparison

114 x 66 x 14.0mm - 8800
    106 x 60 x 15.5mm - 8300
    115 x 56 x 18.0mm - 7130
    107 x 50 x 14.5mm - 8100

Here's a visual for how they stack up...
    Attached Images Attached Images

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast