Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have had the BlackBerry Curve now for roughly 3-4 days I believe I got ... BlackBerry Curve forum

M.J.H. no está en línea Stack level 2

Thumbs up After Owning the Curve 3-4 Days: Impressions, Questions, Etc.

Advertisement

I have had the BlackBerry Curve now for roughly 3-4 days I believe I got it in the mail on Monday I talked Verizon into overnighting me the phone so I don't take my business to AT&T. Anyway, long story short, here is what I think of the phone. And let's note - I went from the Pearl to the Curve.

The size and shape of the Curve is amazing. Not too big, not too small, sturdy, great keyboard, etc. Anyway the Curve doesn't have THAT much different than the Pearl. The biggest things that I am really concerned with are:

1. To text a random contact, let's say a friend of mine "Steve" in my phone on the Pearl - I would press the "S" key and it would load up my dictionary hit the menu key, then SMS Steve, etc. Now when I hit the "S" key on my Curve, it pulls up the "Search" function.

So what I had to do to make it easier was now make my Left convenience key the Address Book, so now I can press the left side key, then hit the "S" and then text him, etc.

2. What the hell is the easiest THEME to deal with! Right now I have the Icon style theme I downloaded from BPlay.com I believe it was. Great looking, etc. But I feel like it's a little harder to maneuver around this phone. I'm not sure why, but I feel like maybe a "Today" style theme would be easier. Just to see my emails, SMS messages, recent calls, contacts, etc. I feel like there should be SOMETHING to sum up everything like recent messages, etc.

3. The memopad on this phone can be frustrating! I wish there was just a quicker way of taking notes, while on calls, etc.

4. What are PIN messages? I'm always so confused about what that means, etc.

5. JiveTalk is an amazing IM program, all around. I have it set to a specific LED color flashing when I get a message. How do I turn off the vibrate when I get an IM? In other words when my phone is on vibrate mode I am okay with the LED flash going off, but I do not want it to vibrate. Can I change this somehow? I already tried in the JiveTalk options.

6. What do you guys find are the most HELPFUL absolute MUST DO's on this phone. In other words most people find that turning off the dial from home screen option so you can set your Speel Dials, etc. I mean what things are pretty much a no-brainer to do on this phone to make it more user friendly?

7. Is RIM ever going to compete with the iPhone and set up TRUE threaded text messaging? Where all the text messages from a contact are in one folder, etc. Or at least a 3rd party application that will do this?

Thanks!
    BTW, I recently tried out the OEM case that came with the Curve, and WOW! I am impressed! This case makes the phone feel slick as hell. It makes it seem smaller somehow, and has the magnetic part so it turns the screen off when I put it in, etc. I am definitely going to be sticking with this case. I'm assuming whatever I set as "In holster" is talking about the OEM case? Thanks!
    Last edited by doughdaddy; 05-11-2008 at 07:51 AM. Reason: removed linking to HF

tgowin no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32CF0B8B
    PIN messages are like IM but over the blackberry network. Each unit has a specific PIN and you can IM other BB owners. I find it quicker and more reliable than text or third party IM programs.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Absolute must do...read the manual. Read many threads here. We've outlined must have apps, uses and what pin messaging is. Have fun with the BB, try out everything in the settings menu, you can also cancel your changes.
    The texting issue looks like you have the "dial from home screen" feature turned off.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

zakz no está en línea Stack level 3
    Hi m.j.h, bout ur 5. theme question: ull find a variety of themes here to ur liking. Personally I like the today bphone found free @
    http://rogersmj.com/tech/blackberry/...Phone&mode=ota
    And dr_devious just posted a leopard today theme @
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...963#post724963. yea, bb cases depresses certain bb keys making the phone screen to turn off, cool huh!. So on the 'in holster' option, ur right it would mean when its inside the OEM case. Hope u like the new phone

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Quote Originally Posted by zakz View Post
    yea, bb cases depresses certain bb keys making the phone screen to turn off, cool huh!. So on the 'in holster' option, ur right it would mean when its inside the OEM case. Hope u like the new phone
    FYI
    This is handled by a magnet in the holster.

zakz no está en línea Stack level 3
    Gulp, someone told me recently its the keys combi...
    Still a nu-B 2 on bb's. Ill do a quick research for additional info. Thnx 4 the headz up Dcooksta

greystealth no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319DD34b
    Its is a magnet. You can just hold up the front screen to the case and it will shut it off.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by zakz View Post
    Gulp, someone told me recently its the keys combi...
    Still a nu-B 2 on bb's. Ill do a quick research for additional info. Thnx 4 the headz up Dcooksta

You're referring to the standby feature, which is pressing the Mute key to turn off the screen.

Vol 4 no está en línea Stack level 1
    does anyone else feel the battery cover press in just a little when they press the trackball in? Just an observance

meblahyou no está en línea Stack level 1
    Vol 4: yes i have noticed that too about the battery cover. originally thought it was the phone falling apart until i realized it was the battery cover

switters no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319E3227
    I posted this in another thread but does anyone feel the build quality of this phone is sub-par? My keyboard feels like it's been abused for years. Everything is loose, and it's loud when I type.
    It just feels sloppy and I'm not impressed at all. I've been waiting for this phone for months and am seriously considering sending it back and reactivating me Pearl.
    Damn.

jrusch no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31ADDE19
    Quote Originally Posted by M.J.H. View Post
    1. To text a random contact, let's say a friend of mine "Steve" in my phone on the Pearl - I would press the "S" key and it would load up my dictionary hit the menu key, then SMS Steve, etc. Now when I hit the "S" key on my Curve, it pulls up the "Search" function.

So what I had to do to make it easier was now make my Left convenience key the Address Book, so now I can press the left side key, then hit the "S" and then text him, etc.
    With dial from home screen turned off you can press the "A" key to go to the address book.

bluemoon1964 no está en línea Stack level 3
    trying to figure out how too turn the trackball light on isnt it suppose to be lighted its probably something simple im missing tyvm!!!

bigmclaren no está en línea Stack level 1
    trackball should by default be lighting up. ive had 3 blackberrys and im not sure if thats even an options.

jbairdjr no está en línea Stack level 2
    Having used about every model of Blackberry, I dont think the build quality is any worse on the 8330.
    I actually like the way it feels when using it as a phone better than any previous blackberry.
    Plus, when the Pearl, and any of the other new Blackberry devices come out, there are always posts on the "build quality", but they just keep working.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast