Well, I finally received my OtterBox 1935 for my 8310 and I put it on ... BlackBerry Curve forum

tryplecrown no está en línea Stack level 1

OtterBox Problem? making ECHO?!?!

Advertisement

Well, I finally received my OtterBox 1935 for my 8310 and I put it on the other day but now I have a really annoying problem. When someone calls they say "I keep hearing myself echo back in the receiver." Called the carrier and they downloaded updates, and we did a hard boot (pulled battery, blah, blah). Tried it out and it worked fine without the otterbox on. Well, I decided to test it out and applied one piece at a time with my wife on the line.

Installed the clear plastic screen/keyboard cover = No Problem

Installed the yellow plastic front = No Problem

Installed the yellow plastic back and snapped together = No Problem

Pulled on the black silicone cover= No Problem

PLUGGED IN THE SMALL SIDE COVER THAT PROTECTS THE HEADPHONE JACK AND POWER PORT = Echo was back!

OK so, I know that if I cut off this piece the echoing should stop, but that sort of defeats the purpose of buying a $50 phone case to keep out dust, junk (and ink since I own a screen printing shop). I emailed Otterbox and am waiting for a reply. But I was wondering if anyone else had run in to this problem. I'm considering trying to remove the plastic screen/keyboard cover to see if that helps, but again, sort of defeats the purpose since I was trying to totally protect the phone.

Love the Otterbox case, but this is pretty disappointing. Anyone had this problem or know of a fix?

Well, I think I figured out somewhat of a solution so I think I answered my own question. I found that if I removed the clear plastic screen/keyboard cover that the issue went away. This is one of the main reasons I bought this case was to keep junk out of the keyboard since I often times have ink on my hands in our shop.

First surgery was to cut the plastic cover just above the screen. Put it all back together and the echo was still there. So, as much as I hated to do it, I cut the clear cover just at the bottom of the screen so it would be exposed, but the keyboard is still covered. I figured if this works I could get one of those thin adhesive screen covers to just cover the screen. Well, it worked. So now the only exposed areas are the screen and the camera. I actually took the little white screens off of the clear plastic that cover the speakers and just applied them to the phone since they have an adhesive on them.

Hopefully this will help someone else if they run in to this problem.

Anyone have a recommendation on the best adhesive screen cover to purchase? Maybe one on eBay???

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Best skinz ever are really good.

Sorry to hear about the otterbox. Mine is supposed to arrive next week and I wanted full coverage.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Ems5000 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I have not experienced this problem with my otterbox case. Consequently I do not use the plastic shield, I find the BSE skins works better. Get the BSE the combination of the two works great. Keep us posted. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Thanks for the tips. Are the BSE skins one of the screen covers I could find on eBay?

I'm not sure, but I think my problem was coming from the way the screen cover sort of wrapped over the side edge of the phone. Thinking about it now, it may have worked to just trim the side edges a bit. Oh well. Hopefully you won't run in to this problem mjwood0.

jjasonwwhite no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by tryplecrown View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Are the BSE skins one of the screen covers I could find on eBay?
    www.bestskinsever.com

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by tryplecrown View Post

I'm not sure, but I think my problem was coming from the way the screen cover sort of wrapped over the side edge of the phone. Thinking about it now, it may have worked to just trim the side edges a bit. Oh well. Hopefully you won't run in to this problem mjwood0.
    Well, got the case late last week and am experiencing the same problem you describe. I haven't had a chance to take things apart and see exactly what's causing it, but I"ll be really disappointed if I can't use the clear plastic keyboard cover. That was one of the major selling points to me due to the shear quantity of dirt and dust my phone is exposed to.

My wife says it sounds like she can hear her voice but two seconds later when she's on the other end. She finds it really annoying. From what I can tell, it has something to do with the sound waves echoing around inside of the phone since they can't escape as easily with this case.

I'll update when I know more. Overall, it's still a great case. I think I'll just have to live with the echo as I don't see any other option for what I want / need as far as protection goes.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Well, I think I found the solution. I posted it in a new thread since I didn't want to confuse things here. Hopefully it helps those affected with this.

Here is the other thread.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade