I have a simple question. If I loaded a newer 4.2 OS than Tmobile's 4.2.2.180 ... BlackBerry Curve forum

money69 no está en línea Stack level 1

Os upgrade question

Advertisement

I have a simple question. If I loaded a newer 4.2 OS than Tmobile's 4.2.2.180 official version will the UMA still function? Also, whats the newest 4.2 OS out there?

Thanks

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    As lon gas the OS is for the 8320 it doesn't matter who it's from. Remember to remove the vendor.xml file or it wont load.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    Welcome to the Stacks!

As long as you use an OS package that is specific to your phone (i.e. 8320 only. 8310/8300 OS packages will not work) you're fine.

As mentioned above, delete the vendor.xml file and you're all set.

Here is a walkthrough that can help guide you through the process.

And here is a list of available OS packages.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

money69 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Much appreciated. Any real differences between the packages? Im only concerned with US English and Spanish. Are the languages dependent on the packages or does it not matter?

Thanks

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by money69 View Post
    Much appreciated. Any real differences between the packages? Im only concerned with US English and Spanish. Are the languages dependent on the packages or does it not matter?

Thanks
    Money,

I'm an 8320 user and I'm running 4.2.2.184 which is the latest release and all the functions work great. Unless you have A LOT of time to dink with your BB I'd forget about 4.5 until it comes out officially from RIM. In the mean time you can load the latest software here.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

ebanga no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24352F80

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Money,

I'm an 8320 user and I'm running 4.2.2.184 which is the latest release and all the functions work great. Unless you have A LOT of time to dink with your BB I'd forget about 4.5 until it comes out officially from RIM. In the mean time you can load the latest software here.
    see this puzzles me....
    why is the 8320 .184 up on RIM's site and not TMO's site yet, isn't the 8320 a TMO exclusive? TMO has great CS, but They're always hella slow with the damn OS upgrades, this is just ridiculous
    i bought my gf the new pearl, shes having fun making little videos and here i am on my Curve with 4.2, than a lil upgrade comes along .180 to .184 whoop dee doo, who ever is working in the RIM upgrade dept. @ TMO needs a fire set under thier asses
    Last edited by ebanga; 06-08-2008 at 07:12 PM. Reason: grammar
    "Make It Count" R.I.P. Jay D ~ 6-25-05

The point is that you don't have to wait for T-mo to issue the latest release of the software. As long as it's issued by RIM you can get it. The list I posted in my previous post has it. I never wait for T-mo or anyone else to post the latest software - I just get it from whatever carrier offers it. Haven't had a problem yet.

Use it if you want to. Don't forget to delete the vendor file BEFORE you install to your BB.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

ebanga no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24352F80
    Don't get me wrong I appreciate the info you gave jblackfish it just always seems that TMO is last to upgrade OS's, seems like someone is sleep at the wheel
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by ebanga View Post
    Don't get me wrong I appreciate the info you gave jblackfish it just always seems that TMO is last to upgrade OS's, seems like someone is sleep at the wheel
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I'm not offended nor am I disagreeing with you. I have no explanation for T-Mobile or any carrier and why they issue an OS when they do. My point is that if you're eager to go to a newer release (as many of us are) you don't have to wait for your carrier. I can't see any disadvantage to using a newer release for a device as long as it's issued by RIM.

If you want to get into a complaint session re: T-Mobile let's talk about their inferior coverage in non-urban areas and some of the smaller cities - then I'll go along.

Johnni no está en línea Stack level 2
    The version I have runs UMA and WiFi very good.
    BB 8320: Running OS 4.5.0.42 smoothly

crazy_cajun no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31b6fa46
    i second johnni's vote
    if you dont mind playing and digging into the new os,
    if you just want to set it and forget it use the released versions.
    Einstein's theory of relativity. Grab hold of a hot pan, a second can seem like an hour. Put your hands on a hot woman, an hour can seem like a second. It's all relative.

RiSKeY no está en línea Stack level 2
    c0ol thaxxx for the head up..