What do I do about installed apps when I update the OS. I'm thinking of ... BlackBerry Curve forum

iridemybike no está en línea Stack Professional

OS change qestion

Advertisement

What do I do about installed apps when I update the OS. I'm thinking of changing out from the AT&T OS to the Optus OS in the next day or two and I have a bunch of other apps installed. How do I keep those or do I have to go get them all again later? Best to remove sd card before starting this whole process? I'm new to major tinkering with Blackberries so any help would be greatly appreciated.

As a secondary question: when I go to back up my info through DM it will back up everything except profiles. If I try and just do a back up, when it gets to profiles, I get an error and it stops. If I go in and manually select which items to back up it still won't back up profiles but it will back up everything else. What's going on? Using DM 4.2.2.12 w/ SP 2 and AT&T OS on my 8300.

Thanks for any help.

Tucker

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: OS change qestion

I updated my Pearl the other day and the new DM actually backed up and restored my 3rd party apps for me (settings, registration keys and passwords included). I wonder if it's the same for any other model.

Sometimes profiles don't get backed up. Maybe a corrupt profile somewhere. I know that this last time it didn't backup or restore my BB Messenger contact list (I'm beginning to think it doesn't like to do that because I have a huge contact list LOL).

Dream Rider no está en línea Stack level 3

I let app loader do the backup and it backed up my 3rd party apps and restored them went it was done with the install of the new OS. I have done this 3-4 times now without problems after my initial experience.
    As far as your profiles do you have a custom made one? I have altered existing ones and haven't had any difficulties, so I wondering if you created a profile that is giving you problems.
    If you're going to dream - Dream Large!

Thanks for the info on 3rd party apps. That was kind of worrying me.

As for the profiles. I did not have any custom profiles at the time. I have edited a the main normal profile, and when I was running into the problem I didn't have any created profiles. I have since created a profile for when I am at work but the problem persists. I'd hate to loose that profile information with the upgrade, it wouldn't really be the end of the world, I could redo them, it's only 2 of them. I'd rather not have to though.

If it is a corrupt file somewhere can I fix or is it just something I'm going to have to live with?

Thanks guys.

Tucker

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

I would try updating your DM version to this one V 4.2.2.14
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ons_4_2_a.html
    2nd link shown.

Be sure to uninstall the DM you have currently installed. Then try your backup again.
    Then your OS upgrade. It should install all 3rd party apps and a restore using DM after OS
    install is completed should bring back all of your settings and BBM contacts, profiles, etc.
    If 3rd party apps are not installed, you may have to manually install them after the OS
    install is complete.

Also, if you are going to go ahead and update your OS, you might as well get the latest OS
    which is the Voda OS:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ne_v4_2_a.html

Good luck and let us know if we can help with anything else!
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

Great, thanks, I'll give it a try as soon as I get a chance. Has anybody found any bugs with the voda OS? I'd like to make sure whatever I'm installing is stable and as bug free as possible. Thanks for the help!Tucker

So after installing the DM software from a few posts up, It still won't back up my profiles. The error I get says "The data was not recognized by the device". That doesn't really make sense since I'm doing a backup from the device to the computer. I uninstalled the previous DM software before installing this. Am I just going to have to re-create my profiles or is there a way to fix this. It will backup everything else if I do the manual backup, but if I tell it to backup everything at once I get the above error. Anybody have any ideas?

Tucker

guugoo no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lavagirl
    I would try updating your DM version to this one V 4.2.2.14
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ons_4_2_a.html
    2nd link shown.

Be sure to uninstall the DM you have currently installed. Then try your backup again.
    Then your OS upgrade. It should install all 3rd party apps and a restore using DM after OS
    install is completed should bring back all of your settings and BBM contacts, profiles, etc.
    If 3rd party apps are not installed, you may have to manually install them after the OS
    install is complete.

Also, if you are going to go ahead and update your OS, you might as well get the latest OS
    which is the Voda OS:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ne_v4_2_a.html

Good luck and let us know if we can help with anything else!
    can someone explain to me what the different numbers mean in the OS? i tried downloading and installing the vodafone OS which is supposedly 4.2.2.265 but it shows up as 4.2.2.146 on my blackberry. i see that both the numbers show up in the file name. what should show up in the BB?