Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Originally Posted by ealvnv Ok then despite the above post, so how do you like ... BlackBerry Curve forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ealvnv View Post
    Ok then despite the above post, so how do you like it?
    What's new...
    BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.190 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/1

OK so far some new things I have noticed:

In BBMaps, when I find "where I am" is shows more info, instead of just a point on a map, it shows street address with city and state, no zip code though. Also has "Layers" option in menu, not sure what it does though....

Threaded SMS really cuts down on the clutter in the sms inbox! And I like the ability to customize with chat bubble or stripes style.

New options in Options like ability to view available application memory, not just total file free. I like the ability to change accessibility options such as grid layout, colors, event sounds. I wish the color options didn't affect everything, for example I like the reverse contrast colors, but it turns all images, even in facebook, socialscope, browser...into negatives....gets annoying. Also you can change active profile ringtone sounds in Options, not just in profiles.

When editing profiles the menus are collapsible, makes for a cleaner appearance, there are more detailed options as well.

There's more, but I'm tired...

Memory has dropped to less than 21mb...not looking good there.....
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Quote Originally Posted by svirish07 View Post
    I have the 8330 for verizon os 4.5.0.77; would it be benificial to get the new OS, if so, how do I go about this?
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

There are still many apps that won't work, it will be a big change, some positive, some negative, some just different. Unless you are very comfortable with the upgrade/downgrade process I suggest you wait and read about other users comments on the OS for the first few days, then see if it seems worth it to you.

If you just want to chance it, there's a link int the #1 post to find the download and here are instructions for upgrading your device OS
    Twitter? My Apps List

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    well from the sound of it i think ill wait a little bit. thank you to all you dare devils in loading and testing. thank you cowboy and azstar.

svirish07 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30697D45
    alright ill just have to wait a few days see how things smooth out and make a decision, thanks!

regiwolf1 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    312A873C
    This is awesome!!!! But I as well will wait to see how it goes for others
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.131 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104

Well, I am now down to 12.5mb memory, I have never gone below 20 before on this device. So far it still seems to be handling things OK though.

Other changes I noted:

BBM 4.7 is different than 4.5 and 5.0, more smileys than 4.5 but not as many and slightly different than 5.0. Also noted new options like "Allow now playing presence status"

There is now a sort of predictive text/spell check, when you partly spell a word, you can click the trackball and get a list of words you possibly mean...but it is pretty limited. Like if I type "goin" and click the trackball the choices are coin, go in, join, gain, grin, groin, gown, gin....but there is no choice of "going" which is the word I wanted to spell. Also if the partial word is also a correct spelling of another word, you won't get any word list choice. So if I want to type hello and stop at "hel" the choices to replace that with are gel, he, her, help, held, hell, hey, and mel.....if I add the next letter and it says hell...there are no other word choices. So i guess it is more spell check than suretype or predictive text. Useful, but not quite what I was hoping for.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Ok, a follow up to the memory issue. I restarted my BB and had 27,731,863 bytes file free. After just an hour of light browsing, read a couple incoming emails, had 2 brief BBM convos, and checked SocialScope a couple times and my file free is now down to 19,267,395.

So that's a loss of about 8mb memory in an hour with very little activity.
    BlackBerry8330/5.0.0.230 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106

webmerlin no está en línea Stack level 2
    Does 5 address any GPS issues? Like locked out apps? I have verizon.
    Mozilla/4.8 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U)

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Lori seems to be liking it pretty well. She isn't having the same memory issues as Az so I am not sure what is causing that. I like the option for contact alerts and some of the new things it has. If this would have leaked 2 weeks ago I might have waited on my storm.

What/how many 3rd party apps does she have?
    Twitter? My Apps List

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    All she really has is WeatherBug, Facebook,Pandora, Iheart,Yahoo Messenger and a game that I can't remember the name of. Not alot at all. So I am sure thats part of the reason. Hers is staying around 35.

svirish07 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30697D45
    On the subject of memory real quick, is it necessary to keep the japanese, chinese, and korean characters since I won't have any use for them?

I have berryweather, berrybuzz, quicklaunch, the beta tv app, enhanced gmail plugin, windows live messenger, nobexrc, twitvid, mobimouse, hippopost, bbsmart alarms pro, facebook, eggbowl, atomichelix notify, copyall, forward reply and edit, LEDreset, snapscreen and some other little things
    Twitter? My Apps List

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    No you can install with just english.

Quote Originally Posted by svirish07 View Post
    On the subject of memory real quick, is it necessary to keep the japanese, chinese, and korean characters since I won't have any use for them?
    No, I don't have them on mine, not needed, you can delete
    Twitter? My Apps List

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast