Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi guys, My apologies if this has already been asked elsewhere, I have been doing ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Themetria no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Does Opera Mini 4.2 use BlackBerry BIS data traffic now?

Advertisement

Hi guys,

My apologies if this has already been asked elsewhere, I have been doing many various searches on this forum and other websites and coming up at a bit of a loss. So I hope someone here can shed some light...

I just recently downloaded Opera Mini 4.2 for my BlackBerry 8310 Curve. Looking online, I have found some comments surrounding changes to Opera Mini that now allows the browser to use BlackBerry data, as opposed to requiring use of your carriers Internet data, which comes at an additional cost for data used on this method. I wanted to confirm the validity of this, as I have an unlimited BlackBerry BIS data plan and want to use this browser for things such as Internet Banking but not if it does not use this connection method. (I already pay enough for the unlimited BlackBerry data, the last thing I was is outrageous additional data costs because it didn't go through my BlackBerry data!)

I cannot seem to find any blindly confirming information from Opera that says anymore more than "now with enhanced BlackBerry features!" or something to a similar effect.

I am able to connect with Opera Mini and I DO NOT have any details saved in my BlackBerry for TCP settings (which I assume is required, if an application does in fact want to go through Internet settings as opposed to using BlackBerry data settings). I guess time will tell, as I did a connectivity test to see if I find any charges appearing on my bill for that period, but it would be nicer to find out now as opposed to waiting for my bill to check if I can keep using this browser.

If anyone could shed some light on this, it would be mighty appreciated! I can only hope my question and description made sense and hasn't caused too many brains to esplode!

Thanks.

banglaberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2569B255
    if you don't have TCP settings, there is no way Opera or any other data service consumer can work other than BIS or wifi
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Quote Originally Posted by banglaberry View Post
    if you don't have TCP settings, there is no way Opera or any other data service consumer can work other than BIS or wifi
    That's what my feelings were too, as I specifically remember applications such as IM+ complaining it couldn't establish a tunnel connection whenever I deliberately left the TCP settings empty. As soon as I put in the settings, those programs were able to connect.

Hopefully there are other PinStack users out there also able to confirm the same as you. I don't want to get any nasty surprises, that's all. I wonder why there isn't a lot of information about this made available? I know so many BlackBerry users who believe Opera Mini only uses Internet and not the BlackBerry data, so they don't use it for that reason.

Thanks for the speedy response!

dgburns no está en línea Stack level 3
    I can't for the life of me figure out what you are asking?
    Opera uses your data connection. That us either BES or BIS if you have a corporate or personal BlackBerry data plan.
    Either one of those IS your Internet connection. You say you have an unlimited BIS data plan, that IS the data connection Opera will use to browse the web etc.
    I guess I just can't figure out what set of data service you think Opera would use, there is only BES or BIS and both are provided by your carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by dgburns View Post
    I can't for the life of me figure out what you are asking?
    Opera uses your data connection. That us either BES or BIS if you have a corporate or personal BlackBerry data plan.
    Either one of those IS your Internet connection. You say you have an unlimited BIS data plan, that IS the data connection Opera will use to browse the web etc.
    I guess I just can't figure out what set of data service you think Opera would use, there is only BES or BIS and both are provided by your carrier.
    My apologies, let me explain a little further for you:

That rate plan I am on with my carrier allows me unlimited BlackBerry Internet data - this type of configuration is true for most carriers around the world. 'BlackBerry Internet data' is specifically anything that uses the 'BlackBerry' APN on the network and this APN is used in BIS and BES connections. However not all BlackBerry applications connect using this APN and therefore is not considered part of the BIS/BES network access and not classified as BlackBerry Internet data (ie, not the BlackBerry APN).

Some applications require use of your carriers Internet access, which is usually specified by a separate APN, typically handled as WAP (and specified in your device TCP settings). This is NOT BlackBerry data and incurrs additional costs for any data used over this connection method. There is definitely more than one type of data connection the BlackBerry can utilise - I am certain there are several threads on this forum that describe the differences between Internet and BlackBerry Internet data channels, if you need to familiarise yourself with them. There is a difference, even with a BlackBerry, I assure you.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Very good explanation.

It does usually help to know what you are commenting about before you comment.

Were you able to find an answer yet?

Quote Originally Posted by moderncowboy View Post
    Very good explanation.

It does usually help to know what you are commenting about before you comment.

Were you able to find an answer yet?
    Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I think Banglaberry gave me the confirmation I was looking for about it now using BlackBerry data but I was just hoping more people could support that theory. I did a little connection test the other night, just to see if any charges appear on my bill, so I guess that at the end of the day, that will be the deciding factor. I'll update this thread with my results once I have them, as I think that would serve as excellent news to the PinStack community, especially considering how many people are used to the idea that "Opera Mini = extra data charges."

It would be awesome if this change is true!

I just checked my mobile bill, looks as though Opera Mini 4 is included as BlackBerry Internet data now, as opposed to using your carrier WAP/Internet service. Finally, access to my Internet Banking!

banglaberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2569B255
    Great! Thanks for posting. Been waiting anxiously for your confirmation. Enjoy

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    if you go into the opera mini settings there were two options for "protocol" one is http and the other is socket...

ive always assumed that the "socket" was bis and that "http" was your carrier's apn aka the apn configured under tcp settings...
    i see RED...

Quote Originally Posted by reddrvgon View Post
    if you go into the opera mini settings there were two options for "protocol" one is http and the other is socket...

ive always assumed that the "socket" was bis and that "http" was your carrier's apn aka the apn configured under tcp settings...
    There's no difference in connection type used when choosing HTTP or Socket.

The Opera Mini team give a good explanation as to what HTTP and Socket does in their software:

Quote Originally Posted by Opera Mini Help
    What is the difference between ‘http connection’ and ‘socket connection’?

If you choose to use “socket connection”, Opera Mini will keep an open connection to the Opera Mini servers. This means that pages will load quicker, and the Opera Mini servers can push updates (for example new bookmarks through Opera Link) directly to Opera Mini on your phone.

If you choose “http connection”, Opera Mini has to establish a connection to the Opera Mini servers every time you load a page. New updates to Opera Mini will also not be pushed to the phone until a new page is loaded. Note: not all phone models and mobile networks allow socket connections. If you have problems with your connection, try to use “http connection” instead.
    I hope that clears things up for you, Red.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Hey that's a breat bit of info... Thanks...

So how do we control what connection opera uses?

bill16 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    sorry no
    You all seem much much more knowlegable than I on this subject.But I have US Cellular on the unlimited bis plan with no other data plan listed, and have use two or three versions of opera mini without any extra charges.My question is, how is your plan different? And if it's not then why wasn't I charged? I ask so I don't screw up and do something stupid racking up an unmanagable bill.

Please forgive me if my question is stupid or written badly.Thank you for your patience and tolerence.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    there's a seperate apn used mostly for wap... with most carriers that apn is also unlimited if you're on a blackberry unlimited plan, but with certain carriers its not...

for example with my carrier in pakistan, there's two apn's for wap... one is the unlimited thats given for bb users and another one for all other device users...

have you typed in an apn under your "tcp/ip" settings?
    i see RED...

bill16 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    sorry no
    No. I don't even know what (tcp/ip) is or an apn,though from what you said my data must be all included under my bis plan.Considering I've never been charged any extra data charges.Is that right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast