Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Originally Posted by Hoggs74 Well, after much delliberation, I finally got up the nerve to ... BlackBerry Curve forum

jromulo no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Oh No, Dust under my 8300 screen

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggs74
    Well, after much delliberation, I finally got up the nerve to take my curve apart and clean the anoying dust from under my screen on the right side. All it took was about 20 mins of time, and all is better now. I first took out out the battery, sim card, and sd cards. Then i took off the bottom clip at the bottom center. Be carefull with this. It might break if you pry hard. THe back part pops off easy, then you have to carefully pull the front portion off. I stuck my fingernail in there and poped it loose. Then I used a #5 torx head screwdriver ($2.99 @ Sears) and out with the 2 screws at the top. Then I carefully removed the top cover. It has 2 small clips on each side. One about middle of the screen on easch side, and one between the enter and del key on the right and between the A and alt keys on the left. Once that is released, carfully lift the cover off. It has a sticky like substnace around the screen area, so remove slowly. Once all is removed, I just cleaned the screen with alcohol and used a blow dryer to assist in drying (cool air). then before reassembly, I used a very small amount of chapstick along each side of the screen, in hope to prevent further dust accumilation. It goes back together very easy. Just like new again. I will post back in a week or two about weather further dust has accumilated.

BTW, I bought my Curve on July 25th and It had dust in only 9 days of use. I never carried in my pocket. In fact, I bought a Black leather blackberry case at the at&t store at the time of purchase.
    hey man, since you cleaned out the dust and re-assembled the curve. did you see any improvement since its been a few weeks already. i would like to know. thanks

g_patrick15 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2435646F

Hope the T-Mobile 8320 Curve has this issue resolved!

Hoggs74 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    240E9964

Quote Originally Posted by jromulo
    hey man, since you cleaned out the dust and re-assembled the curve. did you see any improvement since its been a few weeks already. i would like to know. thanks
    Actually, the dust is back again. Not sure how to stop it.

soctechnologist no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Quote Originally Posted by joewoo
    Im hoping the seidio case I bought will prevent any dust issues...

Anyone happen to have that case yet???
    I have the Seidio "super slim hybrid hard case" for my 8300. I put it on within a week or so of getting my curve. I think it does at least "somewhat" block the right side seal that seems to be the root of the dust problem. So far I've not seem much, if any, dust with mine (this is sure to change now that I've posted on it). Let me know if you have questions.

sor609 no está en línea Stack level 1

Funny thread. I just noticed my dust few days ago. But when I first got the phone, it was 2 days old and it just started to rain outside and yes... I got water bubbles under the screen! One drop fell on the side of the screen and water got underneath. After few hours the were gone but I wasn't too happy about the whole thing.
    So seals around the screen just suck. If I'm not lazy enough, I'll try some clear silicon once the phone is opened and cleaned out. Can't see any other way of sealing it off.

If you hate dust, be careful around water

jsternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23DFE188

I wonder if this dust problem is going to be an annoyence on the tmobile 8320? I seriously hope T-mo is taking note and is having rim reinforce whatever side is allowing dust particles in....I know that when I had my razr, the dust would kill me! Well, I guess sept. 24th will be the know all date....

ranjeetsodhi no está en línea Stack level 1

Damn... I too have dust on the inside of the screen, been using the compressed air solution to spread it around, but that isn't cutting it anymore (lots of small dust particles). It’s annoying given that we are expected to keep this device for a year or more (imagine the dust balls that would have collected by then).

Any idea on how to stop the dusk from entering the unit?? Does putting some gel/chap stick on the gasket around the screen (after opening and removing the case) solve the problem?

Hoggs74 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    240E9964

no is does not, as I did that to mine, and I have new dust now only a couple weeks after taking apart

thanks mate; figured i will ask the obvious - where can I find the utube tutorial on taking this brick apart? Looked on this tread and noticed it being mentioned, but could'nt find a link.

---

NO Worries: found it; search for " Blackberry Curve 8300 Screen Removal & Take Apart" on youTube.com to find the video.
    Last edited by ranjeetsodhi; 08-29-2007 at 03:58 PM.

afinewagoneer no está en línea Stack level 2

i've had my curve for about two weeks now and also have dust. a few days ago i put a piece of clear scotch tape over the buttons on the right side, then put a black silicone "skin" over it. i am monitoring it to see if any more dust has gotten in. its only been two days so i havent really noticed any difference. i hope it stays that way.

did the same for mine... I use the black silicone skin as well and hence putting the tape isn't too big a deal. Hopefully it won't leave some sticky residue when it is finally removed.

will report back the progress of lack of soon...

BB3800user no está en línea Stack level 2

When I first read this thread after getting my curve I was afraid of getting dusty. So I just put the chapstick into the gap of the right side of the screen cover (didn't take it apart). It's been about two months and I still have no dust. Maybe it's too new or maybe the seal isn't bad or maybe what I did is preventing it...i don't know. I did notice that by curve was made in Canada, not sure but is there any link to where they were made?

riotgeek no está en línea Stack level 2

Is the dust under the screen an issue just for the curve or has it affected the 8800s as well? I don't want to upgrade if both are affected. I'm a little bit persnickety, the dust under the screen issue would annoy me a little bit more than it probably should.

my colleagues at work, who own the 8800, have never complained about dust; their gripes have been regarding the size and weight of the 8800 in comparison to the 8300. Some prefer it due its larger keyboard, some don't - its a personal preferance.

Most never use the GPS feature (being in Manhattan, its not too efficent anyhow thanks to the tall buildings) and hence would have prefered a smaller and lighter device.

Today was day 30th since I got this device, so decided to call in for an exchange (buyers remorse); hopefully the 3rd device won't have the dust issue (the first one had a loose side panel that would creak, the second one has dust under the screen).

General Review of the 8300:
    The experience so far has been one of limited satisfaction... the bberry is unchallenged as an email device, the 8300 specifically is a superb multimedia phone (I stopped carrying my ipod), and the OS is absolutely fantastic.

I have owned numerous palms/treo's, windows mobiles devices (IPAQ, HTC Wizard, Cingular 8525 etc) and now a bberry 8300 - the 8300 is by far the most stable and most satisfying multimedia phone I have ever owned, yet the dust and build quality in the first two 8300's I got makes me suspicious of this version of the BBerry's.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast