would i have to reprogram my phone (i.e going into the menu and adding my ... BlackBerry Curve forum

privax no está en línea Stack level 3

o/s 4.5 question about reprogramming?

Advertisement

would i have to reprogram my phone (i.e going into the menu and adding my phone number back by dialing that special combination of numbers ##142... or whatever it is) after I install the new o/s or is all that information saved now that it's already been done?

I noticed a newer version of the 4.3 o/s on BlackBerry's website for my Sprint 8830 and I'm trying to decide if I should just update it to the 4.3's newer version or jump to the 4.5 o/s.

I've noticed quite a few issues with people after updating their o/s. Nothing super serious but more so inconviences/annoyances and I'm not quite sure if I can handle that. I can't afford for my phone to be down or cause me to be delayed.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    When you do the upgrade, everything will be saved in the backup, so you shouldn't have to reprogram anything. The only thing you would likely have issues with would be any third party applications you've installed on your device.

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz
    When I did it it was easy and came back up. All I had to do was resend my service books and It was all up and running. I got HTML Email, faster/better browser. I would not go back to 4.3 unless I had to. Docs to Go is good too, just to the OTA upgrade to get Excel to Go.
    Last edited by MWPatterson; 08-21-2008 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Typos

It's funny how some people with the same exact phone on the same network are having wonderfull success stories and others major inconviences etc...

I know on my previous GSM BlackBerry 8700c, I was always jumping from O/S to O/S everytime a carrier released a new version, even if it was like 4.2.001 to 4.2.005 lol and never had any issues what so ever.

I'll probably make the jump tonight when I get some time.

MW.. you're on the Sprint network right? Did you incur any issues or delays with anything at all during the upgrade or after?

Is .51 the latest version of O/S 4.5?

And can anyone confirm that Sprint Navigation, TV etc all work just as the Sprint 4.3 O/S?

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz
    I know what you mean. I am not using any beta, I am using the CDMA version that was posted on here a week or so ago. Have in on my partable drive and not on this machine. I am on Sprint. Sprint TV/Navigation all work, the loader put it all back for me. I, have done upgrades on Verizon devices and Sprint devices and had relatively no problems. I had had to reload it a 2nd time if something happened but, that was not a big inconvience. I will say that my current laptop does a better job at it than my old one. It took about 15 minuites to backup up, load the os, and restore my settings, now it did take about 5-10 minuites for it to boot up the 1st time. Make sure that you resend your service books to your device to get all the stuff working again and you should have no problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MWPatterson View Post
    I know what you mean. I am not using any beta, I am using the CDMA version that was posted on here a week or so ago. Have in on my partable drive and not on this machine. I am on Sprint. Sprint TV/Navigation all work, the loader put it all back for me. I, have done upgrades on Verizon devices and Sprint devices and had relatively no problems. I had had to reload it a 2nd time if something happened but, that was not a big inconvience. I will say that my current laptop does a better job at it than my old one. It took about 15 minuites to backup up, load the os, and restore my settings, now it did take about 5-10 minuites for it to boot up the 1st time. Make sure that you resend your service books to your device to get all the stuff working again and you should have no problems at all.

I plan on using the latest release from MTS Mobility on my 8830. You said something about a loader to put it back on for you(TV/Navigation) does that mean that by resending the service books those icon's don't display so that I can download the apps directly and install them onto the device?

I downloaded Desktop Manager 4.6 and I'm currently on a fairly new computer running Vista Home Premium. Does any of this effect the updating process?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn01 View Post
    I plan on using the latest release from MTS Mobility on my 8830. You said something about a loader to put it back on for you(TV/Navigation) does that mean that by resending the service books those icon's don't display so that I can download the apps directly and install them onto the device?

I downloaded Desktop Manager 4.6 and I'm currently on a fairly new computer running Vista Home Premium. Does any of this effect the updating process?
    I did my last upgrade with DM 4.6 and am also running Vista Home Premium, so that shouldn't an issue.

When you run through the upgrade process, the DM default is to do a full backup of your device before wiping it and reinstalling your data, apps, etc. If you had the TV and Navigation stuff already loaded with your current OS, the DM is smart enough to remember that and reload it during the restore, after it has loaded the new OS onto the device. Once the upgrade is complete, you'll go out to your BIS account and resend service books to make sure they're all pushed to your device and if there are any missing icons, they should be redisplayed on your device.

Let us know if you have further questions and good luck with the upgrade!

Roger

PIN/ID
    Ask Plz
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    I did my last upgrade with DM 4.6 and am also running Vista Home Premium, so that shouldn't an issue.

When you run through the upgrade process, the DM default is to do a full backup of your device before wiping it and reinstalling your data, apps, etc. If you had the TV and Navigation stuff already loaded with your current OS, the DM is smart enough to remember that and reload it during the restore, after it has loaded the new OS onto the device. Once the upgrade is complete, you'll go out to your BIS account and resend service books to make sure they're all pushed to your device and if there are any missing icons, they should be redisplayed on your device.

Let us know if you have further questions and good luck with the upgrade!

Roger
    That is what I ment, Kinda busy @ work and might have missed that. What is on you device right now will be there after upgrade with the exception of a few things that will get upgraded to a newer version of the same application. Just need to resend service books.