Hey there, I'm on day two with my curve and have a few noob questions ... BlackBerry Curve forum

jetsetter no está en línea Stack level 3

Some Noob Questions (File System, Memory Management, Downloading Files)

Advertisement

Hey there,

I'm on day two with my curve and have a few noob questions I was hoping y'all might be able to help with:
    1. How do I look at my Curve's file system? For instance, where are the photos I take stored on the device? How can I use my Curve to look at these files and move them to my memory card?
    2. Wow, between JiveTalk, MiniOpera, the BB browser and the BS apps (PTT, BB Messenger) I would love to trim down the amount of memory I'm using. I have two problems:
      1. How can I kill an application if I don't think it is responding correctly, and how can I view what is in memory in order to make sure an app. is gone?
      2. I've seen the thread on turning off PTT, is there also a way to remove BB messenger?
    3. I have had no luck trying to download files. When I try to download an mp3 attached to a thread in a vbulletin forum using BB's browser, I get back a server error. I'm pretty sure there is not a server error. When I try to download the same file using Opera, it asks if it can invoke the BB browser and upon a Yes I get the same error. Anyone else run into this problem?

I'd like to get this file download thing figured out because it is important to me to be able to download an mp3, listen to it on the device then attach it to an outgoing email.

Many thanks.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Some Noob Questions (File System, Memory Management, Downloading Files)

1. On the Curve, the Media app is the file browser. When you go into Media, hit the Menu button and select Explore. If you use Mass Storage Mode when you connect to your computer, the SD card will appear as a drive in Windows Explorer. I like to have the device prompt for Mass Storage Mode when I connect the device to the computer. The SD card is inaccessible by the BlackBerry when it's in this mode. If you have a password on the Curve, you will need to enter it on the Curve before Mass Storage Mode is engaged.

2. 1. Pull the battery and put it back in. You can also try holding down the [Alt] and [Shift] key and then hit [Del], but I don't find that to be reliable. Don't forget there are apps that run in the background that load on boot and can't be killed - Mail, Phone, (Web) Browser, and BlackBerry Messenger (unless you delete it) always run.

2. Go to ( Settings --> ) Options --> Advanced Options --> Applications. Scroll down to BlackBerry Messenger, hit the Menu button and select Delete.

3. I haven't had that problem. Try these sites:
      TuneUsIn (http://www.tuneusin.com/Blackberry%2...Ringtones.html)
      http://www.personalwireless.org/tools/Ringtones/
      http://www.mobile41.com/mp3.htm

I would suggest previewing MP3's on your computer and email yourself the links of the ones you want to download to save a LOT of time.
    Many Welcomes!
    JerryD

szumlanski no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala
    1. Pull the battery and put it back in. You can also try holding down the [Alt] and [Shift] key and then hit [Del], but I don't find that to be reliable.
    And go get yourself a beer (or two). It's going to take a while to boot... I mean 4 times longer than my 8700 took.

jetsetter no está en línea Stack level 3

1. On the Curve, the Media app is the file browser. When you go into Media, hit the Menu button and select Explore. If you use Mass Storage Mode when you connect to your computer, the SD card will appear as a drive in Windows Explorer.
    Thanks for this. I had a look and it appears that the media application-based file browser doesn't allow move operations. I looked and found two applications that do this, eFile and Idokorro. They are both commercial. Any chance you (or anyone else reading this) are/is familar with a freeware file management tool?
    Pull the battery and put it back in. You can also try holding down the [Alt] and [Shift] key and then hit [Del], but I don't find that to be reliable. Don't forget there are apps that run in the background that load on boot and can't be killed - Mail, Phone, (Web) Browser, and BlackBerry Messenger (unless you delete it) always run.
    Ya, this is what I've been doing. It does indeed take a long time to boot up again, but it also seems to be the best way to totally clean out the memory on the device. I guess I'm looking for something similar to windows' task manager. Something that let's me see what's hogging all of my memory and knock them out if they arent' responding well. Then if I can't seem to get things going again go for the battery pull.
    Go to ( Settings --> ) Options --> Advanced Options --> Applications. Scroll down to BlackBerry Messenger, hit the Menu button and select Delete.
    Thanks, this worked.
    I would suggest previewing MP3's on your computer and email yourself the links of the ones you want to download to save a LOT of time.
    Ya, my hope is that I can download files directly to my device, unfortunately I haven't been prompted to save in a specific area on my local file system yet. I'm getting nervous that this isn't possible with Opera mini or the BB browser. Can anyone dispell this concern?