As I noted in my previous thread, I don’t even currently have a BB, but ... BlackBerry Curve forum

dhedrick no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31A6595F

non-VZ Navigator GPSa on Verizon 8330

Advertisement

As I noted in my previous thread, I don’t even currently have a BB, but I’m considering it. I know that Verizon has disabled the standard GPS BB feature and uses VZ Navigator – is there anyway to unlock it to use standard GPSa not through VZ navigator as well? I currently carry a GPS with me as well, and use it not only for directions (which VZ navigator is great for) but also for geocaching, which isn’t well suited to VZ Navigator – there are 3rd party programs that will let me do it, but I need to have GPSa enabled outside of VZ Navigator for it to work. Is this physically possible on the Verizon network?

Thanks for your help!
    ~ Dale

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Welcome to PinStack!

VZW still locks GPS. Supposed to be unlocking, per rumor-mill, after Bold is released. No way to by-pass GPS w/out VZNav. You can use other GPS apps, but VZNav has to be running in the background for this to work.

dhedrick no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31A6595F
    that might work though - I'm not sure that I can run the geocaching software over VZNav, but I could try. Do the rumors seem realistic on unlocking after the Bold is released? I was thinking about holding out for the Bold as my first BB, but I'm thinking that VZW won't have a CDMA version available until late this year or early next year, which is longer than I think I want to wait... I can always get the Bold and give my wife my Curve at a later date too...

Thanks for your help!

~ Dale

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    The rumors are sketchy...even through VZW reps...some say yes, some have said never on GPS. I am was going to hold out for the Bold, but I gave in and got the Curve...more than enough for me right now, and I am a gadget-guru. And that's what helped seal the deal..."I could always give it to my wife...it would take off any heat from me buying "another gadget!" (Hee, hee...)

Medic no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    lets all hope that class action suit against verizon goes thru
    Sorrow is tranquility remembered in emotion.