1) Is there a IM'ing program that uses data? I want to use my MSN ... BlackBerry Curve forum

TNgal22 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    just ask

Question Newbie with some questions...8310

Advertisement

1) Is there a IM'ing program that uses data? I want to use my MSN messenger. Also, can you stay logged in and be notified of a convo started? Reason wanted: Hubby will be going to Iraq in the spring and our main contact will be through MSN. I don't want to miss a chance to talk to him because I am not home. Our last deployment, I literally slept next to the computer and was home at all time minus work. The BB seemed to fit my need to stay connected. BTW, I do have an unlimited data plan.

2) I got the 8300 Friday but it doesn't work right so I am getting the 8310, should be here Friday. What do I need to do to get set up for the GPS. I do not want to use Telenav, I want a free program.

3) I installed the Weather Bug on the 8300 but didn't really get to use it. Has anyone else used it? They do send out alerts or do I have to sign up for it? I like getting alerts sent to me as a text. I am a little scared of storms. Or is there another weather program that is better. I only found the Weather Bug.

4) I never got a chance to see about looking at Word documents or Excel. How do you do that and what is a good program to use to change them? I don't do it alot but would like to know in case I need it.

Ok, I think that is it.

BTW, when the 8300 was semi working, I was loving the phone! I can't wait to get the 8310 and I hope it works better than the 8300 I had.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: Newbie with some questions...8310

1) yes, jivetalk www.beejive.com

2) gps is automatic on the 8310 -- just use something like google maps (from bb www.google.com/gmm

3) not sure on weather...i just look out the window

4) you don't need an extra app to look at them, in fact, i think you can make minor cell changes to the excel file too...not 100% sure. if you use excel or word a lot and in need of editing documents, you might want to find a office type app to help you with that

you will LOVE the 8310

welcome to pinstack

PIN/ID
    just ask

Thanks! I will think about jivetalk. I really don't want to spend anymore money than I have to.

I can't wait to get the 8310. I loved the 8300 from what I did get to do on it. Poor thing, it was possessed by the Random Restart bug. LOL

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

some other free alternatives you can try:
    http://www.blackberry.com/livemessenger - this is the MSN app from BlackBerry. Not sure if it will work with your wireless carrier but worth a try.
    or you can find eMSN.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Quote Originally Posted by TNgal22 View Post
    Thanks! I will think about jivetalk. I really don't want to spend anymore money than I have to.
    yep...understandable.

try cliff's solution too, see if MSN will work on bb -- it would be the FREE alternative.

...there isn't a stand alone all in one right now, that is free...jivetalk does offer a 30 day trial

PIN/ID
    just ask

Thanks! I will look into it!

BTW, I was doing some window shopping, LOL, and saw the Clock Screensaver. How well does that work? Does it do like a computer screen saver and just "moves" after no activity. Or does it shut off? I would like to have the clock always visible without hitting a button but I can live without it.

TheRiddler no está en línea Stack level 5

BBWeather does a wonderful job of forecasting for you. Pocketday also has a weather feature that is pretty good. I am testing PD now but not sure I will keep it. It seems to be a mem hog but will wait until my 30 days is up to decide.

PIN/ID
    just ask

Thanks! We get some bad storms here and my sister was hit by an F4 tornado last year. We were lucky in that it changed course right before it got to our house. So I like to know of any warnings or watches and have the radar readily available.