Got my BB8320 and wow ..... what a neat lil phone. I got it unlocked ... BlackBerry Curve forum

jim5522 no está en línea Stack level 1

Newbie UK 8320 owner

Advertisement

Got my BB8320 and wow ..... what a neat lil phone. I got it unlocked with no sim. Atm ive got an 02 payg sim in it but not regged yet. Ive updated the OS to 4.5 and tried a few other apps.

Before i go any further and possibly mess it up any good pointers?

Whats the best payg carrier atm?

Why dont msn install?

Thanks in advance for any help. Now back to research on this 8320.

Mr_Carter no está en línea Stack level 5
    Congrats on your new phone. Well as far as apps go, if you are into messaging , I recomend JiveTalk, if you have facebook , its also a nice app to have.. Viigo is cool too. I guess it depends what are you into. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

travisb no está en línea Stack level 1
    I think the problem with the PAYG deals is that you can't add the BB data add on to them. You might want to consider O2's Simplicity (sim only) plans, which you can add the BB add on (Unlimited or Pay as You Use) to. You can then use BB email, and data.

http://shop.o2.co.uk/blackberryhub

http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/sim_only

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    We've only recently gotten MSN pushed. Have to go thru email set up.
    I don't have 4.5, so I don't know if you need Opera Mini - check it out.
    As indicated above, Viigo is popular. You can also try Twitterberry, Facebook, access your MySpace, set up your Telenav or the new Garmin, and Beyond411 ~ TellMe ~ Windows Live Search, etc.
    Check out the new Google Mobile Updater for all the fresh and usefull Google apps. I love IM+!
    Congratulations on having joined the Blackberry Nation, and welcome to the one-and-only Pinstack, provided by our gracious host Mr.Hayden James

Ive got 4.5 installed on mine. Installed Yahoo and get a message box "service not enabled for this handheld" any help on this one??
    Ive been reading up on how to use it without blackberry service but not really getting far cos i dont know where to put all the entries.

Options ->adv options ->TCP

O2 (UK)
    Gateway IP: 192.113.200.195
    Port: 9201
    APN: wap.o2.co.uk
    username: o2wap
    password: password

which is good but on this screen i only see this:

APN:
    Username:
    Password:

and nothing else. I just dont know where to put the gateway ip and port fields. I can surf the web on my home wifi but thats it atm. Would love msn to work. Is BB internet a must or can i do norm wap/gprs ??? I mainly want msn and web surfing. Any pointers please.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Not sure about the UK but here in the US you MUST have the BB Data in order to use the internet even with WiFi.

I got it from this webpage here

Jim, if you're trying to download and install the Yahoo Mobile app, go to Yahoo and download YahooGo!
    If you're just trying to push your email, go to the Personal Email Setup icon and then set up your accounts. It's pretty much self explanatory. You enter your Hotmail address and a password, and wala, it's pushed to your BB. Same goes for your Yahoo and Gmail addresses, if any.
    You can also set up a BB email address.

Erica has a point. You've got to have BB internet on your plan to do any of the above!

Jim, I hadn't heard of the tweaks outlined on the page you linked to. The info is at least three years old.
    Do carriers still allow free access to the internet using that protocol?
    You need to contact your carrier and find out if they do, and if so, what their current settings might be.
    If not, select a data/internet plan with them in order to facillitate what you're trying to do

Just installed jivetalk and that works fine over home wifi. I will ask about a data plan, i wanna stay payg tho. Especially if it dont work out.
    Last edited by jim5522; 08-03-2008 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jim5522 View Post
    Just installed jivetalk and that works fine over home wifi.
    Jim, I don't understand your paradigm. Blackberry owners Crack constantly, on the go.
    Am I understanding you correctly inasmuch as you're trying to use your pda as a home computer?

yes and no. I want msn and web browsing on the go which is my main objective. Then i will make use of more of the other features. Being as my job involves alot of travel and communication. I was just tryin to wriggle out of the blackberry service.

Bluebell Wood no está en línea Stack level 3
    Hi Jim

You are a bit limited on what applications will work over wifi.

The Opera mini browser will work over wifi and Jivetalk as you have discovered.

BTW if you get he o2 simplicity sim it is only a min of one months contract but if you add the blackberry bolt on to it this is for min 6 mnths so in theory you have to keeo the simplicity sim for the duration.

There is a special offer at the moment for the simlicity sim, it used to be Ł25 but for the month of August it is Ł20. This comes with, if bought online 600 mins and 1000 texts and also includes International Travel Service free (good rates when travelling)
    Last edited by Bluebell Wood; 08-03-2008 at 08:12 AM.