Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was wondering if you know I can use my blackberry curve without subscribing to ... BlackBerry Curve forum

ThisFlyGuy no está en línea Stack level 2

Newbie questions- please don't be mad =P

Advertisement

I was wondering if you know I can use my blackberry curve without subscribing to the data plan? Also, if i attempt to get email or use download options, would it charge me for it since I am not using data plan? Will this turn on my wifi settings or try to get internet if I somehow turn it on by accident? My house has wireless network, so I don't want my phone trying to connect to it.......I have At&t service.

Last question: I installed the computer software to my computer and hooked it to my BB- i could not send my mp3s and pics on my comp to my BB- do you know what i'm doing wrong? Do I have to have a media storage card?

Reason I have not turned on data plan yet, is because I want to try out this phone first to see how much I like it. (so i will be using it like a normal phone in place of my current RAZR phone)

Thanks and your input is appreciated.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: Newbie questions- please don't be mad =P

You can use your BB without a plan but it is pretty limited in what it can do. Basically it turns into a Personal Information Manager (PIM). You can sync with Outlooks and similar programs calendars. Keep appointments and all that Blackbook Scheduling stuff.

If you have the 8300 Curve you don't have wifi, so you wouldn't be able to access that. If you don't have a data plan you can't access anything that needs data.

If you have the PC software installed (Desktop Manager) DM for short, you will also need your Handheld Software (OS for short). The latest one is usually stickied for your device up top.

I promise you that you will like it. It blows away your Razr...and you will soon invest in a data plan

IF you have anymore questions let us know

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro

Wifi is free, so you don't have to worry about it charging you. I don't think you can even browse the web or use email until you subscribe to a data plan, as the service books haven't been pushed to your device.

I may be wrong though.

Hack173 no está en línea banned
    PIN/ID
    249E4D70
    Quote Originally Posted by ssnxp View Post
    Wifi is free, so you don't have to worry about it charging you. I don't think you can even browse the web or use email until you subscribe to a data plan, as the service books haven't been pushed to your device.

I may be wrong though.
    Your right ssnxp.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Quote Originally Posted by ssnxp View Post

I may be wrong though.
    But the 8300 doesn't have wifi, only the 8320.

vindicatedx2x no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by ThisFlyGuy View Post

Last question: I installed the computer software to my computer and hooked it to my BB- i could not send my mp3s and pics on my comp to my BB- do you know what i'm doing wrong? Do I have to have a media storage card?
    Can't transfer more than 4mb in a file. Could be 2, but that's why. I would recommend getting a card regardless.

4 gb micro SDs are 30 on amazon, and the curve will take up to 8gb once OS 4.3 comes out

wow, great thank you guys. i appreciate this community where people actually help instead of tell me to search- which i did do, but there was so much information that it took forever.

looks like i'll be putting in my SIM to test out this puppy..........

Quote Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
    But the 8300 doesn't have wifi, only the 8320.
    Yea, but I figured we should give him the benefit of the doubt, just in case he meant 8320 when typing in the model for his profile. But yes, only the 8320 curve has wifi.

wow, great thank you guys. i appreciate this community where people actually help instead of tell me to search- which i did do, but there was so much information that it took forever.

looks like i'll be putting in my SIM to test out this puppy..........
    Have fun. I think it's safe to say you won't be going back to a Razr, of all things. (:

oh, the reason i asked about wifi was because i heard on the Iphone, people's phone would connect to the internet unexpectedly and they would be charged? i forgot what that term is called....

reddogg, how do i sync it to my outlook if i don't have data plan? i need data plan to do this right?

can i do bb messenger or do i need data plan to do this as well? i know i can't yahoo or aim messenger without data plan but how about bb to bb?

thank you.

The iPhone is basically worthless without a data plan. Unless you unlock it (a very annoying process if you don't have it pre-activate it), you can't even use it without a data plan.

BB messenger also uses data, so you would need a data plan to use it. I believe you can still sync the BB with outlook even without a data plan, you just won't get incoming emails.

thank you ssnxp. your input is appreciated.

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

oh, the reason i asked about wifi was because i heard on the Iphone, people's phone would connect to the internet unexpectedly and they would be charged? i forgot what that term is called....
    It's called pay per use and can cost a LOT if you end up using data by accident without being on a data plan. You'll get your bill and be
    This can happen on a BB as well.
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Lavagirl View Post
    It's called pay per use and can cost a LOT if you end up using data by accident without being on a data plan. You'll get your bill and be
    This can happen on a BB as well.

oh boy, thats what i was afraid of- so there is a chance, i can turn it on by accident? and it will stay on correct until i find it on and turn it off?

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Not so much by accident, but there are users that have connected via other means and thought they were getting away with not paying for a data plan until they got their bill and nearly got a heart attack. Put it that way....
    So yes, I would say it is well worth it to get a data plan imo. A bb without a data plan is just a phone, although I see your reasons above for trying it out. You just are never going to experience the full capabilities of this device if you don't have the plan. There is so much more coolness and fun to be had with a data plan!
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

Kyo0tdemon no está en línea Stack level 5

The bb is fun to text on, but I agree with Lavagirl and everyone else on here. Having the data plan on your bb is totally worth it! You can always try activating your data plan for a month or so and if you don't like it, cancel it. That way, you'll experience your bb with the data plan as opposed to you trying it for a little while without.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast