Hello New to the forum (first post) and soon to be new to Blackberry. I ... BlackBerry Curve forum

bully74uk no está en línea Stack level 1

Newbie question, hopefully not too stupid !

Advertisement

Hello

New to the forum (first post) and soon to be new to Blackberry.

I have a question regarding Blackberry Internet Solution that I hope you can clarify for me.

Im going to buy a Blackberry 8900 on vodafone uk.

The signal strength in my house is shocking on most networks (inc O2 that im using now) but vodafone is SLIGHTLY better so I will move to them.

If however I can't get a GSM signal in the house, will emails still come through on the handset without delay if I have WiFi connected or do I need the GSM signal in order for the push mail to work ?

I know that I can access my emails through WiFI but its the push email, with email alerts that I want confirmation on.

Hope that makes sense and apologies if its a dumb first question.

Regards,

Bully74uk

lovin2act no está en línea Stack level 4
    Not a dumb question at all!!! We all have been there

As long as you have service....WIFI, GSM (or even CDMA if thats what your network is on) you will get your email pushed to your device. I too have spotty service in my house....so I stay connected via WIFI there and everything gets pushed through to my phone just as it would on GSM/CDMA. So dont worry, WIFI works just like regular cell service....only better cause you can surf the web and talk on the phone with it at the same time, just like with 3g!
    Last edited by lovin2act; 02-24-2009 at 07:20 PM.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, some1 said 2 thmslvs "U knw, I really want 2 set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close engh to get the job done".

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Yes you will get ALL your BIS services through wifi as well.

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Do all cellular carriers support bis / bes over wifi? How hard is it for a cellular carrier to support BIS or BES over wifi?

I have a wireless network at home and I can never get bis / bes over wifi...
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

bully74uk no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks guys, 3 replies, 2 Yes's and 1 No so I will continue to watch this thread for any further info.

I don't think UMA is supported in the uk by Vodafone which is a shame because am I right to assume that with UMA you can make and receive calls over WiFi without the need for a GSM signal ?

riffman no está en línea Stack Professional
    I believe that is correct- I think that in general terms, cdma and uma are not in the uk or other parts of Europe- only gsm and it's decendents- but I could be wrong- I do know a cdma phone is not advisable across the water though- chris
    Samsung Vibrant, OS2.1
    " I do many things well- none of which generate income"
    - riffman

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    How about the easy way out... Call the carrier and ask them... If they have a service, they know about it best...
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~