I just bought my first Blackberry a few days ago and need a little help. ... BlackBerry Curve forum

butcheredboy no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Newbie: I'm a little confused.

Advertisement

I just bought my first Blackberry a few days ago and need a little help. I have read about the OS update (4.5), but when I go to the link provided in another post on this website, it's for the UK Orange version of the phone. I have T-Mobile in the US. Is there a version I should be using or does one even exist?

Also, I'm assuming that I will lose the My-Faves functionality (not an issue - I had to do the same when I upgraded my OS for my MS Smartphone I had previously); is this true?

Finally (for now), I was going to upgrade my Desktop Manager to version 4.6 I did not find any documentation as to what is different between 4.2 and this version on the Blackberry website. It did state that I should use the version provided by carrier (a general warning). If I do not upgrade my phone to the newest OS version, can I still use the latest Desktop Manager? Are there any known issues.

Sorry if some of my questions seem stupid, but I do not want to brick my phone. Thanks again for any and all help/input. I appreciate it.

By the way, this site is awesome. I'm glad I came upon it.

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6
    Welcome to PinStack. I can help you with part of what you're asking.

Features like My Faves are actually controlled by the phone's "flash", or a customized set of features provided by the carrier. When you carrier has a newer version of OS, they will brand it for your particular phone.

If you use the OS from another carrier, it can cause weird problems with the device. IF you do decide to try another OS, do a full backup of your data and all applications just in case you need to roll back.

Also, look through the Guides for some info before you try (to the right, under "PinStack Quick Links".

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Your questions are fine. You can download and install any carrier's OS as long as it's for your specific device. You must delete the vendor file after installing the OS to your p-c and before installing to your device. Check this thread for update instructions. It can take up to an hour or so, so be patient. You can select the OS from here if you want or here as an optional location for the OS and Desktop Manager.

I don't think you'll lose your My-Faves but I don't use that and I don't know. I hope that helps.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    My Faves works just fine some versions of beta will mess with them I just did a 4.5.0.55 and my faves are in tact and working fine

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

Lennox815 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20A71800
    My faves are a network controlled thing.as long as you have a myfaves plan no matter what you will still have my faves even if you phone does not have my faves icons its all network controlled so don't worry~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

vortec7 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30487CF1
    I believe you can always have it recent to your phone via the TMo website as well. I've heard of users in the past who wiped the app for whatever reason and just had service books or something resent and they were back in business. (as long as you have the plan)
    :)

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    It's safe to assume that your vendors authorized versions are best.
    While it may be tempting to upgrade sooner with someone elses release, I've personally chosen to wait for my provider's version.
    After all, serious additions to the os aren't being realized until 4.6+ and you'll have to get different hardware to support it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Berryadict View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    It's safe to assume that your vendors authorized versions are best.
    While it may be tempting to upgrade sooner with someone elses release, I've personally chosen to wait for my provider's version.
    After all, serious additions to the os aren't being realized until 4.6+ and you'll have to get different hardware to support it!!!
    Some users think the video camera (if they didn't have the capability bfore) and the HTML email is worth the 4.5 upgrade. There's no evidence to support that your own carrier's release is ANY BETTER or LESS PROBLEMATIC than any other carrier's release. The betas probably have a few more kinks - that's why it's a beta release.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

butcheredboy no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'll hold off for just a little while; give myself more time to become more confident with the Blackberry. I'm still learning some of the neat tips and tricks out there.

No one seemed to mention anything about Desktop Manager 4.6 however. I was wondering if his would be compatible with the 4.2 OS on my blackberry. I also noticed that it was trying to install MS XML Parser 6.0. Could someone explain what this does and why I need to upgrade? Thanks.

Butcherd,

While you're getting to know your BB you might want to check this thread - you may find some shortcuts/tips that you want to adopt. Have fun and let us know if you need any help as you go along.