I tried unlocking the vendor themes, but when I did the backup, nothing showed up ... BlackBerry Curve forum

jgagnon01 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    245287E8

Question New Software Problems!

Advertisement

I tried unlocking the vendor themes, but when I did the backup, nothing showed up in the list after. So I downloaded the device software from the blackberry website. But when I go to install it, it says: "Error reading software initialization file"

Any Ideas?

fritter no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Sounds like there may have been a downloading error in the handheld software installation file. Try downloading it again.

PIN/ID
    245287E8
    Quote Originally Posted by fritter View Post
    I've been there, many times! The problem also with unlocking the themes, is that I don't have this folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\

I don't know why...

And Ben, I've downloaded the file a couple times...

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Does the handheld software show up in your Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs? You should have Desktop and Handheld entries. If not, then it didn't install correctly. That may be why you don't have the Shared folder.

fritter no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Ok while in a windows explorer window go to tools folder options. Now click the view tab and make sure that show hidden files and folders is checked. Please beware that in doing so shows also critical system files as well which if not carefull you could delete one and mess up your system.

Don LuiG no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

What happened to me before was that when i try to edit the file it became currupted or messed up so what i did was i went and unistalled both the blackberry desktop manager and the OS software and also deleted any folders n files and re installed the whole thing again and that fixed it for me, i had accidentally deleted something on the file and it wouldnt fixed even after i downloaded and replaced the OS software on the computer

PIN/ID
    245287E8
    Quote Originally Posted by BenMarvin View Post
    Does the handheld software show up in your Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs? You should have Desktop and Handheld entries. If not, then it didn't install correctly. That may be why you don't have the Shared folder.
    Only the desktop software shows up. I've never installed handheld software before. It was pre-loaded on my device.

And fritter, I did that and it is still not there.

PIN/ID
    245287E8
    Thank for all your help. I downloaded the software on a different computer and transfered it to mine and it worked with no problems!

Problem fixed!