Hi folks! I've searched and seen different methods. I really don't like getting frustrated when ... BlackBerry Curve forum

dbm2 no está en línea Stack level 1

New MicroSDHC card

Advertisement

Hi folks!

I've searched and seen different methods. I really don't like getting frustrated when trying to do things that should be really simple. So, since I read these threads daily on my Viigo, I thought I'd ask people who might have some more hands on expertise and knowledge.

I want to move about 7gb of info/files/folders/media along with a sync program off my older 8gb microSDHC card to a new 16gb microSDHC card. I'm hoping for the simplest method that will not cause me to have to reconfigure my sync program or have to move anything around individually after the fact.

Can I just copy the entire old card (while in phone) to new card (while on thumb drive adapter)? I don't want to give the phone ( BB curve 8330) a chance to create all those systematic blackberry folders that it normally does on a new card. That's why I want to already have those on the card (from the copy process) prior to inserting into the phone.

Can/will that work? Hopefully, someone with some actual experience doing this will be able to answer. No offense, but I'd prefer not to have answers about what someone "thinks" will work.

Thanks and I love keeping up with the Pinstack threads and my Viigo!!

dbm2

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    My lil sister and I have a habit of switching memory cards as we need them... I've always directly copied my entire card, with the entire directory structure over to the new card (as you said, from the phone to a pen drive)...

There shouldn't be any problem upgrading that way... I've both upgraded size and downgraded size this way...

Hope that helps...
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Papag no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b0c8db

I use my laptop

I just use my laptop. It has a slot for memory cards. I copy all of the BB folders from the old card to a BB directory on my hard drive, and copy them all back to the new memory card. As long as the new card is formated properly for the BB this works just fine using the drag and drop method. Plus it gives me backup copy (never had to use it, but at least I have it).

mDRagON- no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    215c161f
    I also use my computer to copy file back and forth. seems like the easy way to do things, with a backup if failure. Now if I can get a deal on a 16gb card shipped to Hawaii.
    "It’s been a long time coming, but tonight, because of what we did on this day, in this election, at this defining moment, change has come to America". - Barack Obama

www.twitter.com/waydavis

rxmaker1 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Request
    Is the capacity of the 8330 curve not 8gb? The BB site and per several forum post I was under that impression (is. The microSDHC capacity an OS dependency?). It has been some time since have upgrade the microSDHC card. As for the transfer, Drag and drop to the laptop (not using the DM) and the to the new card is how I backup and transfer data and Media. I also have never had a problem but my life is on here so peace of mind is great.

Papag no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b0c8db

You can go up

You can go to 16gb with the newer OS ( can't remember, but believe it's 4.3 or higher). But I agree it would be easy to drag and drop to a usb pen drive or something similar. It does not require DM as the computer OS sees the BB as a seperate drive. I use this method to add/remove MP3's/Movies/backup/ringtones, etc..

cgaliffi no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22D95A46
    Quote Originally Posted by Papag View Post
    You can go to 16gb with the newer OS ( can't remember, but believe it's 4.3 or higher). But I agree it would be easy to drag and drop to a usb pen drive or something similar. It does not require DM as the computer OS sees the BB as a seperate drive. I use this method to add/remove MP3's/Movies/backup/ringtones, etc..
    You can use this as a guide for memory card capacity:

BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.0 Up to 2 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1 Up to 4 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 Up to 4 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2.196 Up to 8 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.3.0 Up to 8 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0 Up to 8 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0.81 and later Up to 16 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.6.0 and later Up to 32 GB

rxmaker1 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Request
    I have seen this before. Thanks for the info.

cgaliffi no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22D95A46
    Your welcome!