Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First off, very cool forum. I did a lot of reading here last week before ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Glenn J no está en línea Stack level 2

New Curve 8310! A few questions

Advertisement

First off, very cool forum. I did a lot of reading here last week before pulling the trigger on the 8310.

My wife and I upgraded our 3 year old cell phones this weekend. She went with a Moto Q, I went with a curve. So now I have to learn to phones/op systems.

I'm amazed at what I can do on my phone; e-mail, internet...even GPS. It's such a huge difference from my old phone.

When running an application, should I always "close" out of it rather than hitting the red hangup button? Will hitting the red button just close the window, but leave the application running in the background?

If I put my phone on "silent", will the light blink whenever I get an e-mail/text/bb message?

The BB maps thread sticky is really interesting. Is there any advantage to running BB maps over google maps? Do the driving directions in BB maps differ...say offer turn by turn...almost like a ThomThom?

Thanks in advance!

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    Hi Glenn, I can help with a couple things
    1. It is always better to hit Menu and then Close, there are a couple things you can't close, any running program can be viewed by holding the ALT Key and hitting the back button, you will find Call logs, BBM, Browser< and massages are always running. but you can select anything else, and then close it properly.

2. for the Profles. Silent, loud, viberate, ect, if you hit the menu button, instead of selecting a profile, got to the bottom and click on advanced, this will take you to where you can edit what the profile does, even silent can make noise on certain things, it just depends on how you set up the profile. If you Use the holster that came with it. you will have to the set the In Holster Settings as well. If not then the out of holster settings is all you need to change.

As for your last qeustion, that kind of depends. I believe the 8310 has GPS correct? If it does the the BB Maps will do better I believe. I don't know if Google maps will interface with the GPS, and BB Maps will.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Your message alert LED will flash even in silent mode unless you disable the LED function in options>screen/keyboard

Awesome! Thanks! The alt+ back button really helped me shut down a ton of stuff that I had no idea was running.

And that's great to know the LED will flash...even in silent mode. No more leaving the phone on "vibrate" at work.

pda.tek,
    The GPS will work with google maps...as long as I can pull a statalite signal. That usually means going outdoors which isn't a big deal.

pNoyz3Ro no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    244A4B08
    First off, congrats on your new BB Curve!!
    They basically answered all of your questions.

Also, make sure to look around the forums, you'll definitely find a lot more tips & tricks to help you with your BB Curve and to make it even better!!

These forums helped me a lot when I started around a month ago and i'm glad I found it!

Well, hope you enjoy your Curve!!!!
    T-Mobile Blackberry 8310 Crimson Red

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PNoy,
    You're right...tons of good reading here! I'm trying to read up as much as I can regarding my new bb.

USB question... Will any ol USB cable work? I have a spare from my mp3 player and it fits in the port on the side of my curve. I would like to bring it to work to charge and sync.

vexvegaz no está en línea Stack level 2
    The usb cord should work fine. I use the oem cord on my main pc while using a psp cord on my travel laptop.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    well welcome to the stacks of course any other questions or suggestions let us know
    The BlackBerry Guru

[x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter

Sweet, I'll leave the cord at work.

What is everyone using to sync their calendar with? My wifes phone and PDA use outlook, so I'd like to avoid using that. I would like to use something simple that I can have on the home pc and work pc.

anjwolf07 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3038CA9E
    Glen. Piconews is a great little rss reader to get news and such (even these bb forums).

anjwolf07 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3038CA9E
    Microsoft outlook is a great way (my opinion of course) tob syn calendar and contacts (and tasks and memos too).

Basically, what I'm looking for is something simlar to the "Plam Desktop" application I use for my very old school Plam M105; a stand alone application that syncs up with the device. What I like about the Palm program is I can type stuff in on the computer, then sync it directly with the Palm.

Using the "Swtich Device Wizard", I was just able to import all my stuff from the Palm, to the Blackberry; that just saved a TON of typing!

Looking at the BlackBerry software, it appears that I can either sync with Outlook, Lotus or Yahoo. Anyone use the Yahoo calendar? That seems to be the easiest, most portable thing to do. The reason I don't want to use outlook is because my wife uses it on our home machine and I don't use the outlook calendar at work.

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925

Yahoo Calendar...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn J View Post
    Basically, what I'm looking for is something simlar to the "Plam Desktop" application I use for my very old school Plam M105; a stand alone application that syncs up with the device. What I like about the Palm program is I can type stuff in on the computer, then sync it directly with the Palm.

Using the "Swtich Device Wizard", I was just able to import all my stuff from the Palm, to the Blackberry; that just saved a TON of typing!

Looking at the BlackBerry software, it appears that I can either sync with Outlook, Lotus or Yahoo. Anyone use the Yahoo calendar? That seems to be the easiest, most portable thing to do. The reason I don't want to use outlook is because my wife uses it on our home machine and I don't use the outlook calendar at work.
    I am using Yahoo Calendar...it works well for me. Sync is consistent.

sexycalibabe346 no está en línea Stack level 1
    i just got an 8310 and im really confused on how to add different themes to my phone...do i need special software other than the blackberry desktop manager?

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Quote Originally Posted by sexycalibabe346 View Post
    i just got an 8310 and im really confused on how to add different themes to my phone...do i need special software other than the blackberry desktop manager?
    You should not need any additional software. Check out the theming section of this forum for more info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast