I just ditched my Sidekick II and Razr (only data plan on the skII) for ... BlackBerry Curve forum
New blackberry user with some questions
I just ditched my Sidekick II and Razr (only data plan on the skII) for a BB 8320. This thing has been great in the two days I've had it. I've gotten a lot of useful information by reading threads on this forum. But I do have a few questions that hopefully are easy and maybe someone can answer:
- On my sidekick I could store a bunch of email addresses, and I could turn them on and off, such that if I only wanted my email sent to the device when I was
traveling, I could enable it, and voila, the email came to me. And when I got home I could disable it and everything would be there, but no new emails would appear. I don't see an option to disable emails on the blackberry. Is there such a feature?
- Why do I keep getting popups in the bb browser that say certificate isn't signed, and gives me the continue, cancel, view, and trust options? It gets really annoying, and even after trusting a certificate, I still get more popups asking what I want to do.
- It looks like the device has about 50mb of user available space. Can I install programs on a microSD card, or only on the phone itself?
- This was partially addressed in another thread I read - My wifi at work isn't so great, and I think today when I got a call, it kept getting muffled and eventually dropped it because I was on UMA. I switched the mobile options on the below image to "Mobile Network Preferred" which is the opposite of what this person was trying to do:
It went to edge and I called the person back and it sounded much better. I don't have the hotspot thing so to me it doesn't really matter what I use, as long as it works.
Two questions come from this - How do I make it so that calling is not with wifi but the browser uses wifi? I have my browser settings as "wifi preferred" but how can I tell it's actually using the wifi? I have unlimited data so it's not that big of a deal, but I figure it will be faster.
The second question is - is there a noticeable difference in voice quality between using UMA and using regular voice calling? If UMA on a strong signal is a lot better, I can just disable the wifi connection at my work - it's not like I surf the mobile web while I'm there anyway.
- ::edit:: one more question - I have a USB Holux GPS dongle I use w/ my laptop. If I were to get a mini adapter for it, would it work w/ the blackberry?
Those are my new user with two day's of fooling around questions :-)
Last edited by smanky; 05-01-2008 at 12:00 AM.
1: There is not option to turn off emails. They are automatically "pushed" to the device all the time. If it gets annoying, you can turn off the notifications for email or just remove the address from the Blackberry and check it only via the bb browser or computer.
Originally Posted by smanky
2. Once you chose to Trust a cert, it should save it in the keystore and not bug you about it again. Some sites are really bad about making you accept multiple certificates and such. More of an issue with the site rather than the Blackberry. Most site designers don't think about us, sadly enough.
3. You can install programs on the SD card with a 3rd party app, I forget the name of it, but it was posted in the news forum here about a week ago.
4/5: I personally have not noticed a difference in speed between the wifi browsing and browsing on EDGE. Mostly I just leave the wifi on to take advantage of hotspot@home, but true, the voice quality can suffer due to what kind of router you're using, connection strength, network activity, all sorts of things. Sometimes it's bad enough that I have to turn off the wifi and call back on EDGE. But there's no way I know of to turn on the wifi only for browsing, it will automatically go into UMA mode.
6: A USB GPS adapter will not work on the Blackberry. It can't function as a USB host device yet. Perhaps there's software that can do it (such as with an external keyboard), but I haven't seen any yet for a usb gps device. You would need to get a bluetooth GPS puck.
Thanks for your answers. I can just delete the wifi profile for work since the signal there isn't so great, then I won't have to worry about switching from UMA to edge. At home I have a really strong signal so UMA should be fine.
Another question - what happens if I turn off email reconciliation?
Per BenMarvin: "You can install programs on the SD card with a 3rd party app, I forget the name of it, but it was posted in the news forum here about a week ago."
The program was Aerize but be careful - think there are "issues" with it's use. I wasn't able to install easily and quit trying.
For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com
When is the new software coming out?
Tags for this Thread