Just sold my HTC Hermes 8525...loved the phone but it was way too bugy for ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Killak no está en línea Stack level 1

New BlackBerry customer questions!

Advertisement

Just sold my HTC Hermes 8525...loved the phone but it was way too bugy for me, I have also had a treo a few years ago...I am buying a blackberry curve in the next few days but I have a few questions.....

I am big on emailing and alot of people talked to me about getting a black berry, but how easy is it to set up a hotmail, yahoo email account?...

I also have an outlook email from work, im sure I can get that also on my phone?...

and whats up with the blackberry email address, do you automatically et that with the purchase of the phone?

How easy is it and how well does it work with AOL,MSN and yahoo messenger?

I have other questions aswell, but im sure most of those will come once i purchase the phone,lol!!!

I have been on this board for a few hours and you guys seem very helpfull, hopefully you guys can give me some good feedback on my questions, first time poster...Thanks alot for the help.

c3po25 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    212D4E69

Re: New BlackBerry customer questions!

feel free to shoot me PM's to ask any questions and I'll try to help you. Welcome to the forum!!

angeleyes no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2404A818

Quote Originally Posted by Killak
    Just sold my HTC Hermes 8525...loved the phone but it was way too bugy for me, I have also had a treo a few years ago...I am buying a blackberry curve in the next few days but I have a few questions.....

I am big on emailing and alot of people talked to me about getting a black berry, but how easy is it to set up a hotmail, yahoo email account?...

I also have an outlook email from work, im sure I can get that also on my phone?...

and whats up with the blackberry email address, do you automatically et that with the purchase of the phone?

I have other questions aswell, but im sure most of those will come once i purchase the phone,lol!!!

I have been on this board for a few hours and you guys seem very helpfull, hopefully you guys can give me some good feedback on my questions, first time poster...Thanks alot for the help.
    all of your email dreams will come true with your blackberry. you can have up to 10 emails pushed to your blackberry.

the blackberry email you will get when you set up your blackberry account on your phone. you can choose your prefix, yourname@mycingular.blackberry.net. yourname portion will be what you choose.

unfortunately with at&t, they don't support yahoo messenger or AIM, but you can download jivetalk which you can use to log in to each of them at the same time. that is what i use, and i really like it and recommend it to others as well.

ask your questions! everyone is helpful here. a lot of the mwill probably be answered when you get your hands on your blackberry but you are right, many more questions will come as well.

Flashman no está en línea Stack level 3

Assuming you get it from AT&T you go to their BlackBerry Internet Server: https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=mycingular where you can setup up to 10 email accounts from POP, IMAP (Outlook/Exchange), Outlook Web Access (neat trick to get around corporate firewalls), BlackBerry Mail Connector, Yahoo, GMail, and HotMail. Very easy to setup and maintain. This service is include as part of their BlackBerry Data plans.

Yep. Four possible ways:
    1. If your company has a BlackBerry Enterprise Server - Best Way.
    2. If your company allows IMAP access to Microsoft Exchange - that works too.
    3. If your company has BlackBerry Mail Connector - that works too
    4. If your company has Outlook Web Access setup - that works too.
    and whats up with the blackberry email address, do you automatically get that with the purchase of the phone?
    There is one you can setup at the BIS server above, but who bothers these days?

There is no built-in messenger, but there a number of excellent choices out there. I think by far the best client on ANY mobile platform is JiveTalk from http://www.beejive.com for about $20-30. I strongly recommend it, it is so good, I don't even bother using my desktop client any more.

VZDubtk no está en línea Stack level 5

actually att does support aim yahoo and msn as of june 25.. just go into medianet then tones and messaging and download mobile im.. Wont be as good as jivetalk but if u want free thats what you have as an option. But I would definitely try out jt free for the first 30days well worth it. Shoot me a pm or pin and I can answer all of your att questions...and welcome to the stacks
    I Unlock All Mobile Devices, questions just ask

khillyer no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24A6FA4C

i seem to be having trouble with setting up my hotmail account with my blackberry..i keep getting this message...and i have NO idea what it means...anyone else with this issue?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

That is an issue with Hotmail. Only certain accounts can be used with a BB.

Zo

Killak no está en línea Stack level 1

thanks alot guys, now with the last message about needing hotmail to be a subscription email, I have MSN which i pay monthly for, and that comes with a hotmail account, does that mean i will be ok when setting up the hotmail on the blackberry?

Again thanks for all the help guys, I am very excited about getting my blackberry curve in a few days.

superdad no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    thanks alot guys, now with the last message about needing hotmail to be a subscription email, I have MSN which i pay monthly for, and that comes with a hotmail account, does that mean i will be ok when setting up the hotmail on the blackberry?

Again thanks for all the help guys, I am very excited about getting my blackberry curve in a few days.
    That a/c should work.congragulations on ur new phone and incase the phone feels slow and buggy, just upgrade to the new os.don't worry about that just now, we will help u thru that wen u get ur phone.

barbuser no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Pin Me

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~welcome to the stacks! Congrats on your new BB, you'll love it!

PIN/ID
    24A6FA4C

so what does this mean? is there no way i can set up my Hotmail account? i've emailed MSN Hotmail customer help several times but so far no one can help me....

zipped no está en línea Stack level 3

Well, I hate to tell you what it means, not fun. It means Hotmail is going to rake you for another 19.95 annually to be able to use your hotmail. They call it hotmail plus, you get blackberry support and a few gigs storage. Hmm, wait, that's all the stuff I get at google for free...bummer.

PIN/ID
    24A6FA4C

sweet....and the transition to gmail begins...