I just bought my 8310 yesterday, not going to lie I walked in fully intending ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Fran14 no está en línea Stack level 1

New and Confused...

Advertisement

I just bought my 8310 yesterday, not going to lie I walked in fully intending on buying a Moto Q. However when I got there my gut just told my the Curve was the way to go. Anyway I just have a few questions:

I have unlimited texting but not data (can't convice my mom yet) how does that work as far as texting... I called AT&T and they weren't much help. I basically wanna know if leave a messenger, such as AIM, on all day, do I get charged for every text or for having it on

Also, everytime I scroll over the e-mail icon I see my e-mail address, does this mean I am logged onto my e-mail right now, am I being charged for that or does that count towards texting as well. If it is being charged as data how do I turn it off?

Are there any extended batteries I can buy, I've only had this for a day but I've never been one to remember to charge my fone every nite and I don't expect this to last longer than a day especially because it's rarely on standby

Any recommendations on screen protectors, I'd like to keep mine looking nice

What programs do you use for music, is it easy and is it worth it? I have an iPod so I'm not going to die if I can't put music on here

Basically I would just like to know what else everyone likes and dislikes about the fone, I've read up on it but new opinions/ ideas/ stories are always appreciated.

Thank you sooo much in advance,
    Fran

p.s
    Sorry if I've repeated any questions that are on here already I tried reading threads first, that's how I found out about BeeJive :)

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava
    Welcome to the Stacks and Congrats on your new Curve

You won't be able to use your messenger program or email without a data plan sorry
    Just your texting is about all you'll be able to do.

I strongly encourage you to sweet talk your Mom into letting you get a data plan so you can discover the full capabilities of a BB and all the fun things and apps it is capable of.

Screen protector: BSE (Best Skins Ever) hands down
    http://www.bestskinsever.com
    inexpensive and best protection you could ever invest in.

Media player is included in your OS and I recommend getting a media card so you will not run out of memory and have room to add music.
    You will quickly run out of space without one.

Check the 8310 Forums stickied at the top for FAQ's and must read threads on the 8310.

Have fun!

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    In regard to battery life, there are extended batteries out there, but they are expensive, and I've never seen a need for one. Depending on usage, you can get a lot out of the stock battery. I can tell you that the Blackberry's battery is way better than the Q's. My friend has a Q with the extended battery and he can't even get a day out of it. I've had my Blackberry last for 2 days without charging. And I'm a heavy user. Not as good as the older 72xx and such, but still very good for a smartphone.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    I have unlimited texting but not data (can't convice my mom yet) how does that work as far as texting...

Also, everytime I scroll over the e-mail icon I see my e-mail address, does this mean I am logged onto my e-mail right now, am I being charged for that or does that count towards texting as well. If it is being charged as data how do I turn it off?
    Welcome to Pinstacks;

Considering what you're saying above about the unlimited texting but not data, and the part about the e-mail icon. Okay first off - If you did not have a BlackBerry Data Plan with AT&T you would not be able to see an "Email Icon" that only shows when you have a Data Plan, and since you are "Seeing your Email Address" that also means that your Data Plan has been Setup on the BIS and I dare say that it sounds as though you've received your Service Books (Activation of the BIS).

As for the texting, if you have a Family Talk Plan with AT&T, you can get unlimited Texting and Picture Messages for all phones on the account for one flat monthly fee of $30. Thats just one way of not worring about more charges for texting.

GeneKam no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    232D8D38
    i find i use more data then text, msn and all that is where i ussually comute, texting i have 200 a month and thats plenty for me
    "Drive by tornado-kicking, boy, i wish i could see that" - Yaku
    "Yeah! It was epic" - Gene

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    Do NOT use jivetalk if you dont have a data plan!!! OMG! Your mom will kill you! LOL!, that's a data intensive program.

There is a built in media player on the phone. It looks like an old school movie reel depending on what your theme is.

I believe ATT has something called OZ MEssenger which allows for IM programs with your text messages, not a data plan (like JiveTalk) so that will work for you.

Search Craigs List for extended batteries...but they have to be for this phone. You can also search for the same kind of battery you already have and a charger for the battery so that you always have a charged battery handy.

Have fun with the phone!
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

GeneKam no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    232D8D38
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsNowOrNever View Post
    Do NOT use jivetalk if you dont have a data plan!!! OMG! Your mom will kill you! LOL!, that's a data intensive program.
    Hah i do agree with that, your data bill will come up in thousands, not hundreds. I might go as far as say that usage of such programs just might cause your parents to remortgage the house, so best thing is stick to text, or sacrifice some allowence or something for ulimited data, get a summer job and just pay for the plan a year ahead, so lets say the plan is 40 doallars a month, make 480 and give it to your mom to cover that unnecessary expence for a year
    "Drive by tornado-kicking, boy, i wish i could see that" - Yaku
    "Yeah! It was epic" - Gene

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    Ohhh good idea with the paying in advance!!!! I wish We could all do that---pay cell bills yearly in advance and overages (if any) monthly!!!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~