Hello, I'm in need of a new device and I'm torn between the options available ... BlackBerry Curve forum

cbarry317 no está en línea Stack level 2

Need some stacker opinions please

Advertisement

Hello, I'm in need of a new device and I'm torn between the options available as my contract is expiring with AT&T...so
    Would you rather the AT&T 8900 with no 3G, the Verizon Tour (no WiFi) when it comes out, or keep waiting for that AT&T Onyx in the future? Any quick advice would be helpful. thank you

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    I would stay away from contract renewals and hold out for the Onyx bought outright. I've had all the new BB's currently except the 8220 and I will say that having the 8900 currently hasn't been very impressive for me as the processing speeds are about the same as the 8310 I once used but with a newer shell and firmware. I really loved my Bold but totally despised the size of the phone and the Storm is a great media device but horrible business phone. It really comes down to what works with your lifestyle. I'm not much of a WiFi user but I am a firm believer of having GPS as standard equipment on a mobile device. Just my opinion of course I hope it helps.

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    In this day and age, the only reason not to put wifi on a unit, is GREED and I wont support personally.

The 8900 was over hyped and I dont think worth a 2yr contract or buying it outright.

I am loving the speed of the bold and even for it being a free refurb, I havent really had any problems with it, except spotty reception. Which i need to compare with some other bold users in the Denver Area.
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    I think the spotty reception on the Bold was just typical att issue. I had the same problem with my Bold and I still get a little spotty reception as well with my 8900. Typical GSM issue.

wckdclwnz no está en línea Stack level 1
    well i got tmobile and had the g1 and loved it but once i realized the bb storm is a world phone and takes a sim card i had to get it. u can buy it unlocked off of ebay. so u beeing on at and t u can always jsut get it off ebay or somethin and wait for the phone u really want

JeffNNJ no está en línea Stack level 3
    Well, T-Mobile is now about 1/2 the price of AT&T in my area and, in my opinion, has almost the same coverage and better customer support. Combine that with no pesky add on fees and for me, it's a no brainer.

cbarry317 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Hmm good things to consider. Thanks for your quick thoughts, just wish we had some more info on the onyx release date. Thanks again

BestWitted no está en línea Stack level 7
    All of the above comments are very relevant.....I notice you have an 8300....I started with that device a couple of years ago and really liked it....but like many people....I had a couple of hardware issues and ATT eventually upgraded me to an 8310 which I currently have......the 8310 does have GPS but quite frankly....if I need GPS advice, I turn on one or both of my Garmins.....and, I always had more available memory with my 8300.....and, the 8300 using the 4.2 OS played my mp3's much louder than my current 8310 with 4.5. I have been tempted on several occasions to migrate to the Bold or 8900 and played with the display units for several hours....I still haven't yielded to the temptation but think about it occasionally. I think the device I'm waiting for is yet to be built.....something with the form factor of the curve; the power and media card access of the Bold; the WiFi + display + camera of the 8900 and anything else that is technically feasible yet problem free.
    "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
    Enjoying life in Lehi, UT with my BB 9780 on ATT

terrapin no está en línea Stack Pro
    Never, and I mean, NEVER choose the device first and the carrier second. From experience, and OCD episodes, I have tried every device I can think of, paid cancel fees to get the device on certain carriers, and thee is always (and always will be) a cooler, newer, and more intense device that comes along. Choose the carrier and, at least for me, it's T-Mobile as their converage is average to good in my area and their prices cannot be beaten. VZW is WAY too expensive in my opinion as is ATT (compared to TMo on a similar plan). As I can't afford the outright prices of phones ($500-$1000) at times, I'll stick with TMo unless overall fees and prices drop significantly on another carrier when my contract's up.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Agree with Terrapin that the carrier should always be your first selection. You can buy virtually any phone and unlock it to use with your carrier. Almost 8 years later and I still have T-Mobile. Recently bought the 8900 to replace my Pearl. So far it's been a great upgrade. A decent camera, bigger/cleaner display, Wi-Fi, and GPS. I was using the Hot-Spot calling feature for the unlimited calls at home and when I could get Wi-Fi, but with T-Mo's home phone for $5 more, that's a non-issue. However, more and more places I go have Wi-Fi for customers and being able to watch YouTube or grab my stuff through Orb is nice while waiting an hour for the doctor.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

Papag no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b0c8db
    I have to agree with these 2 previous posts. ALWAYS choose the carrier first and device second. I have been a TMO customer for nearly 5 yrs because they have the best VALUE and PRICES going, along with great customer service. I have had 5 BB's and have been cross country driving 3 times with no issues on coverage nation wide.

And my 8900 has been just a great BB. This is the phone I have been waiting for. It is compact compared to my former beloved 8800, has a much better screen than my 2 81xx's and a great camera. It has great battery life.... and just does everything I wanted in a BB. Yes, technology marches on and you will chase your tail trying to keep up ( and being a former IT Pro, I 'm kinda geeky in this respect). But I personally don't think one can go wrong with the 8900.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Having now had both the Bold and 8900, I concur with papag. You can't go wrong with an 8900. That being said, the Bolds processing speed is about 15% faster, but the 8900s camera is better. The 8900 is a sleek sexy device, but the Bold has 3G. Its really a toss up. In my book, both are OUTSTANDING!
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~