hello! i tried reformatting my sd card cause since i upgraded to 4.5 os everything's ... BlackBerry Curve forum

audreypearl no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2277FD30

need help with reformatting sd card!

Advertisement

hello!
    i tried reformatting my sd card cause since i upgraded to 4.5 os everything's been messing up and my bb keeps restarting. yesterday i took the sd card out and it didnt reset so i figured its prolly that. today after like an hour of trying to understand what my sd card comes up on the computer (removable drive g). i went there and under "my computer", right clicked on " removable drive g", then clicked on "sharing and security" then "tools", then clicked the thing that says "backup now". i figured i click that a couple times and i should have something backed up right? so then i went on my blackberry and pressed format. so of course, like it says, it deleted everything. sigh. anywho, im confused about where or what that "backup" is saved or what is it saved as? i know this is so confusing but i listed EVERY STEP i did. idk. if anybody can pleeeeeeease help me. i had a lot of pics that were on there. the funky thing is that when i checked on that same drive it says on the sd card that i have 384kb of files but when i go to dm media manager i click on it and it has NOTHING in it. im so confused.. any help or some kind of explanation is greatly appreciated.

volscian no está en línea Stack level 5
    The files that it says you have on there are the folders and whatnot that the BB puts on there. As for your backup, you should have some option on your computer to recover a backup and it should be there. What kind of computer are you using with what os?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

RedNightHawk no está en línea Stack level 3
    There are undelete programs for Windows that can recover most deleted files from hard drives and flash drives (even after a format). As long as you haven't been saving more files on to the SD card your old files should be recoverable from there.

Um, by the way, it's unclear from your message what all you did. Hitting backup starts a backup wizard which you then have to tell what to backup. It may or may not have backed up what you wanted saved.

PIN/ID
    2277FD30
    I thought so too but nothing came up.. I clicked it twice and it looked like it was doing something cause I couldn't click anything else.
    And no I haven't saved a thing on the sd card, still a little baffled about what I did..
    Quote Originally Posted by RedNightHawk View Post
    There are undelete programs for Windows that can recover most deleted files from hard drives and flash drives (even after a format). As long as you haven't been saving more files on to the SD card your old files should be recoverable from there.

Um, by the way, it's unclear from your message what all you did. Hitting backup starts a backup wizard which you then have to tell what to backup. It may or may not have backed up what you wanted saved.

bcaldwell85 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I had the same prob. You have to delete all the .dat files

RedNightHawk no está en línea Stack level 3
    @bcaldwell85.

Ummm, dude. She doesn't seem all that familiar with Windows. Can you be more specific about which .dat files you want her to delete so she doesn't delete .dat (data) files that some of her programs might want around to run properly.

@Audrey

Personally, I wouldn't recommend deleting anything, you can always move something so if you need it later you still have it around.

Most of the time Windows defaults to a quick format rather than a full reformat. If you've done a quick format and haven't been using the SD card since you should be able to recover the files. Do a Google serach for undelete software, look for something that specifically says it'll work after a quick format. Most software should have a trial ability that'll show you the files you can undelete (and the file state and chances of recovering it), but not actually do it until you buy the software (lets you know if it's even worth it for you since you'll be able to see the filenames, though you may see files from way, way back on there). I don't know if there's a free one available.

PIN/ID
    2277FD30
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~or I could redownload all my songs,ringtones and what not. Ugh this sucks too bad for my pics tho. Sighh.I've never had this problem before. Thanks a lot 4.5 os. The new stuff on 4.5 isn't even really worth all this trouble..I'm prolly gonna go get that iphone..but thanks everyone. Appreciate it!

WhitePearlPXL no está en línea Stack level 4
    i'm really sorry, but your files are goners. what you should've just done was highlight everything and dragged it onto your desktop.

next time, before you do anything, do this:
    Like many of you, after the OS upgrade I was plagued by constant rebooting as long as my media card was in my device. I found a solution that seems to be working well. Here it is.

1. Using Desktop Manager / Media Manager, copy the entire contents of your media card to your PC.

2. Format the media card using your 4.5 device.

3. Using Media Manager, I noticed that some of my pictures had nothing in the attributes column. Therefore, copy only those images that have attributes back onto the media card.

That seems to have done it for me. Just as a test I put a couple pics on the media card that had nothing in the attribute column and my device started rebooting again.

Within Roxio Media Manager, I used the top window to show the pictures on my PC and the bottom window to show my BB. The view defaults to "Thumbnails" because most people like that option. I changed it to to "Details" (select View\View As\Details).

Looking at it in this view, you'll see that your pictures are listed with 5 columns of information. Specifically they are File Name, File Size, Date Created, Attributes, and Date Modified. For the majority of my pictures, the Attributes column lists the pixels, bits, and dpi (i.e. 2592x1944 pixels, 24-bit, 180 dpi) but I noticed that some of them had that column blank.

Next I selected all of my pictures and then deselected those that had that column blank. When I transferred only the pictures with attributes information back to the media card it seems to have worked and I've had no problems since. Granted, this means I was not able to get all of my pictures back on the media card, but I only lost a few.

anyway, give bb another chance before you head over to the iphone. i, too, am sick and tired of the stupid run-around crap we have to do to make sure our bbs run the way we want them, but it's still a great instrument to life. good luck.
    Last edited by WhitePearlPXL; 11-14-2008 at 04:29 AM.