Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello, my name is Mo, I recently got a BlackBerry Curve 8310 v4.2.2.170 (Platform 2.5.0.30) ... BlackBerry Curve forum

vidgamfrk17 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Need Help Updating BB Curve v4.2

Advertisement

Hello, my name is Mo, I recently got a BlackBerry Curve 8310 v4.2.2.170 (Platform 2.5.0.30)

I was wondering if there is a way to update my BlackBerry Curve, from v4.2 to v4.7 or v4.5

I have a Desktop Manager which has been upgraded to v4.7

I've tried numerous themes, and none have worked. I go for the ones that are primarily for the 83xx series, and that's for the v4.2, which as always, is a common mistake when getting themes. (Saw someone mention this was a common error)

I download the zip file, extract it, load up the App Loader from Desktop Manager, I find the .alx file, it gets sent to the phone, I check the phone, it's in Options - Advanced Options - Applications - (example) Gears of War 2007.05.17.(extra numbers here)

If anyone can help me out, I would really appreciate it, I'm still looking through the forums, trying to find any other info on how to upgrade or download themes, but most if it is rather complicated (especially when I stumbled upon a 'Make your own theme' thread, holy crap I R nubsauce)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Once I get the hang of it, I'll start contributing some pieces that I have in mind for themes, maybe ringtones, such things like that.

-Mo

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Welcome to PinStack, vidgamfrk!

First things first. I'd recommend uninstalling DM 4.7 and getting 4.6 instead. 4.7 has caused a plethora of issues for people and doesn't seem to be ready for primetime.

Secondly, the latest available OS for your device can be found in a thread in the FAQ link in my signature. Instructions for upgrading can also be found there. a 4.7 OS is currently only available on the Storm. 4.5 is the latest for the Curve models.

Once we get your OS sorted out, someone else can work with you on themes as that is not my area of expertise.

Regards,
    Roger

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    First things first....get rid of Desktop Manager 4.7 and get an older version. Second who is your carrier? It is very possible to upgrade and many people here willing to help. A good start would be looking over the links in my blog and then if you have questions someone can walk you through the process.

LOL! Great minds.....

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    LOL...its actually a little scary seeing that we started it besides your welcome...word for word. Also Mo as rogro mentioned. Welcome to PinStack.

Sweet lol. I have AT&T, BlackBerry Curve 8310 v4.2.2.170 Platform 2.5.0.30

Not sure if thats what you're looking for but uhh....Yeah o_o

Just downloaded v4.6 DM (took me a while to figure out what DM was >_> )

Installing that right now; deleted v4.7

Edit: Forgot the important items o_o The 'thank you's

Thanks RoGro.

Thanks moderncowboy.
    Last edited by vidgamfrk17; 12-12-2008 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Proper Thanks

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    You have the latest official Operating system offered by ATT however you can use any carriers OS as long as you follow the guide and delete the vendor.xml which we can get into deeper if you decide to go for it. Sorry about the DM at times I forget not everyone does this as much as we do.

Quote Originally Posted by moderncowboy View Post
    You have the latest official Operating system offered by ATT however you can use any carriers OS as long as you follow the guide and delete the vendor.xml which we can get into deeper if you decide to go for it. Sorry about the DM at times I forget not everyone does this as much as we do.
    Lol, its all good.

Yeah I just now deleted the vendor.xml and I am ready to move onto the next step.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Well you seem pretty comfortable with this I would say connect your device and open DM and go for it. Hopefully it runs smoothly for you. If not there is always someone around to help.

Well you seem pretty comfortable with this I would say connect your device and open DM and go for it. Hopefully it runs smoothly for you. If not there is always someone around to help.
    Well everything's good so far, but it's still the same. Doesn't recognize anything. =/

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    try going to c/program files/comman files/research in motion/ app loader and launch the loader from there. Also try rebooting device and PC.
    Last edited by moderncowboy; 12-12-2008 at 01:09 AM.

try going to c/program files/comman files/research in motion/ app loader and launch the loader from there. Also try rebooting device and PC.
    Did that too, and I noticed that the file I had downloaded (v4.5) wasn't on my desktop where I had downloaded it.

So now I'm downloading it again. Hopefully it'll appear there.

After it downloads I'll just reboot. Make sure things go alright.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Make sure once it is downloaded you run it and then go back and delete the vendor again. I am about to have to crash but I am sure someone will pick this up if you need more help. I will follow the thread and see if I can come up with ideas if you need more. Also if what you are doing now doesn't work what I would do next is...

Uninstall DM and the OS go into common files and delete thee research in motion folder and reboot....reinstall everything and reboot again then connect and open DM. Also be sure there are no other OS installed on your PC.

Make sure once it is downloaded you run it and then go back and delete the vendor again. I am about to have to crash but I am sure someone will pick this up if you need more help. I will follow the thread and see if I can come up with ideas if you need more. Also if what you are doing now doesn't work what I would do next is...

Uninstall DM and the OS go into common files and delete thee research in motion folder and reboot....reinstall everything and reboot again then connect and open DM. Also be sure there are no other OS installed on your PC.
    Yeah that's what I was thinking of doing if this one doesn't work.

Almost done, 10% left. Thanks again, I'm pretty sure this one will work. -crosses fingers-

vid,

Looks like you were in good hands with the Cowboy (that's what I call my son, by the way, Randy! ).

Hope your upgrade was finally successful!

Regards,
    Roger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast