Hello everyone! Bit of a long story here, but please bear with me. Last night ... BlackBerry Curve forum

mnemerah no está en línea Stack level 2

Need help restoring my curve.....

Hello everyone! Bit of a long story here, but please bear with me.

Last night around 2 am I decided it was time to upgrade my vzw 8330 to OS 4.5. I downloaded the OS update on Verizons website and followed the directions for updating.

Well, as tends to happen from time to time with technology, there was an error with the update process, leaving me with a bricked curve at 2am.

Needless to say, I was beside myself. Frantic even. I hadn't been without my curve for more than 4 hrs since I got it in July. Let's not even mention the fact that tethering is currently my only access to the internet at home right now....

So there I was. 3am now. No curve. No internet. Still on hold waiting for a BB tech in the UK on my gf's razr. He ended up telling me there was a problem with my drivers that I would need an internet connection to fix.

At this point I'm extremely unhappy. So what do I do? I decide to go straight to the source. So after waiting about 6 hrs without my berry, I set of on the hours journey to my Verizon store. I know, I live in the boonies. There was no way I was going to be able to sleep knowing my beloved berry was bricked. As has been said many times, its a powerful addiction.

So I arrive at the Verizon store about quarter til 9 and stand outside for 15 minutes waiting for them to unlock the doors. When I finally got inside, they took a look at my curve and told me I had fried it somehow doing the update. Aparently that happens sometimes. So they replaced my curve under the warrenty. The very nice, and cute I might add, girl helping me was even nice enough to give me the new battery with the new phone. Excellent! My horrible ordeal was finally over!

Whew. Everything up to this point is actually not entirely necessary information. I'm sorry to make everyone wade through that to get to my question, but really had to get all that out, and preferably around people who can understand my pain.

Long story short, they were unable to save any of the data on my old handset. Luckily I was smart enough to make a backup right before I tried to upgrade.

So here's the problem: when I got my new phone home, I fired up desktop manager and attempted to restore my old data to my new curve. Apparently I did not do this in the correct manner. The backup from my old phone, when restored onto my new phone, deleted all service books and would not allow me to access the net, neither tethering nor the handset browser would work without the service books. Also, many of my net dependant apps (google maps, opera mini, couple games, etc) were not present after the restore.

So I am confused. What is the correct protocol for restoring old backups to a new phone? I tried switch device wizard as well, but that wants me to start off with the old phone, which of course I no longer have. Currently I am running on a pretty much blank slate, as I had to wipe the phone again so I could make this post. Also, VZAccess manager is not recognizing my new phone, so I am stuck working through the berry for my internet needs until I get this fixed. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. I know its probably something stupid and simple I'm missing, but I'm tired and I can't figure it out.

Thank you for your patience. And congrats on making it through my

RedNightHawk no está en línea Stack level 3
    You should just be able to restore data, then resend your service books or update your host routing tables to 'restore' your service books.

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    Ask Plz
    Have Verizon resend your service books or login into the BIS page for verizon to do it yourself. That should fix your problems.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    And you may need to reinstall/reinitialize the apps your missing as well.

mnemerah no está en línea Stack level 2
    Thanks for the advice! I knew it would be something stupid I was missing.....

So apparently for VZAccess manager to recognize the new phone I had to uninstall/reinstall and set it up with the new phone.

After getting my internet back, it was much easier to search out how to resend the service books. So easy I'm embarrassed!

So still missing a couple apps, but got the critical info and web browsing capabilities back.

Thanks again! Sorry to bother everyone with such a simple question. It was the first time I had to restore the ol' berry......

Hank061978 no está en línea Stack level 3
    OK mnemerah....
    Check this out....
    I think I had this same problem and this is how I fixed it.

* Connect your BB to your PC
    * Open DM and click on Backup and Restore
    * Now click on Advanced
    * You should see a quick screen that titled "transfer in progress
    * Then you will see a right side window and a left side window
    * The right side is the device database and the left side is the PC data base
    * The PC database may be empty (if so it's cool, no worries)
    * Above PC Database you should see a selector for "File" w/down arrow
    * Click "File" and select "Open"
    * Navigate to the back-up file you made before your upgrade attempt
    * Once you find it double click it
    * Now you should see every different section of the back-up in the Left Window
    * Now just scroll through and find what you want to restore from the back-up
    * Click on it then click the double arrows pointing to the Device Database Window
    * Once done you should be able to click the back button and back out of DM

This (should...) get you back up and running.
    It worked for me and I gave you all the steps I took. Hope this helps....
    If this does get you up and running make sure you resend your service books anyway just to be on the safe side...

Hate me for everything I am before you love me for something I'm NOT!!!

Hank061978 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Your embarrassed!!! I am the one who just completely tried to answer something and got off subject with instructions for something you didn't need in the first place.... I feel like an idiot!!!! Oh well ain't the 1st and won't be the last.
    Hate me for everything I am before you love me for something I'm NOT!!!