I just switched from a Treo 650 to a Blackberry Curve and I'm wondering whether ... BlackBerry Curve forum

bobwright no está en línea Stack level 1

Naive question from newbie

Advertisement

I just switched from a Treo 650 to a Blackberry Curve and I'm wondering whether it's possible to install a third-party media player on a Blackberry. (The built-in media player lacks a feature I'd really like to have.)

Googling has failed to uncover any such thing, so I'm pessimistic, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

surianto no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Naive question from newbie

try handango.com there are quite many software for your need

PIN/ID
    AskMe

i went too from treo to blackberry and here you go :
    xplayer : http://www.shapeservices.com/en/prod...er&platform=bb
    flipside (which works kinda like coverflow on the iPhone) : http://www.electricpocket.com/flipside/tour.php

hope thatll help

PIN/ID
    AskMe

hmm .. the flipside server seems to be down. let me upload the trial i had the chance to download yesterday before going to bed lol LUCKY YOU haha
    -------
    there u go sir : http://www.sendspace.com/file/nd0881
    Last edited by ranxoren; 01-26-2008 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Automerged.

PIN/ID
    AskMe

did u ever get it lol ? what did u think ? im in love with it (flipside)

cyberspastic no está en línea Stack level 5

There's also media player from Dollars5.
    It can play videos, Flipside does not.

PIN/ID
    AskMe

true my bad i was only focusing on mp3 player fuction lol but flipside is so awesome when u have ur whole library with cover art like i do
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberspastic View Post
    There's also media player from Dollars5.
    It can play videos, Flipside does not.
    yeah looks pretty nice but iffy price imo
    Last edited by ranxoren; 01-27-2008 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Automerged.

Thanks, Ranxoren and Cyberspastic. Do you happen to know if either of these players has continuous (as opposed to incremental) fast forward and rewind? I listen to a lot of audiobooks, and the standard Blackberry player won't let you jump back just a few seconds if you missed something. It makes you ff and rewind in jumps--sometimes 2,3,4 minutes, depending on the length of the whole file.

I know I could find out by paying $19 for the download, but I just thought you might know. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me.

Unfortunately the Mediaplayer product is much like the standard blackberry player as far as fastforwarding and rewinding. it may be a little better, but I wouldnt want you to waste $20 bucks to find out.... I no longer use it so I can't tell you for sure. I too would love to listen to audiobooks on my bband would love if there was something out there that would work better than the standard player.

OK, thanks very much for saving me the $. That incremental ff/rewind is a really frustrating thing for me, but I guess for people who just listen to music it doesn't really matter, so there's not much of a demand for changing it...

Maybe that will be addressed when the new OS comes out . . . we can cross our fingers!

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

With the included Medai player you shouldbe able to position the scroll onto the progress bar, push to select it and then use the pearl to scroll the amount you want, or scroll to a certain point. At least I can do this on mine.

PIN/ID
    AskMe

there u go guy squeakr found the solution :P

hoosierdaddynow no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249f8227
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwright View Post
    Thanks, Ranxoren and Cyberspastic. Do you happen to know if either of these players has continuous (as opposed to incremental) fast forward and rewind? I listen to a lot of audiobooks, and the standard Blackberry player won't let you jump back just a few seconds if you missed something. It makes you ff and rewind in jumps--sometimes 2,3,4 minutes, depending on the length of the whole file.

I know I could find out by paying $19 for the download, but I just thought you might know. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me.
    Just to let you know, if you hold the alt button down while scrolling forward or backwards with the ball. It moves in small increments.

Quote Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
    With the included Medai player you shouldbe able to position the scroll onto the progress bar, push to select it and then use the pearl to scroll the amount you want, or scroll to a certain point. At least I can do this on mine.
    Yes, I've used that method, but you can't really scroll to any point. It forces you to move in fixed increments. If you're listening to a five minute song you don't notice it because each increment is like 10 seconds, so you can get to more or less any point of the song. But if you're listening to a 75 minute audiobook or podcast, as I often do, the increments are around three minutes. So if your attention wanders and you go, "Wait a second, what did he say 15 seconds ago?" You've got to go back three minutes and hit play and then wait two minutes and 45 seconds to find out.

Like I said, on small files, the fixed increments for rewind and fast forward are barely noticeable. That's why I didn't notice the problem when I tested the Curve before buying.

Thanks for the feedback.