Hello folks, So i wanted to upgrade my firmware to 5.0+ but I don't know ... BlackBerry Curve forum

c0de no está en línea Stack level 2

n00b on Firmware upgrade

Advertisement

Hello folks,
    So i wanted to upgrade my firmware to 5.0+ but I don't know how it goes? do i just download and install the firmware, or should i wait till my carrier releases a 5.0? (I'm with Cincinnati Bell)

fatboy97 no está en línea Stack level 3
    As far as I'm concerned you can upgrade if you want to... you can always downgrade to your provider's OS if you need to... it's totally up to you... I would not recommend it unless you've been using your device for a while and know how it works, and if it looks like it's acting strangely or not.

Steps:
    1. Make a backup of your personal settings and data using Desktop Manager (DM)... and then disconnect your device.
    2. Be sure to open your PC's Add/Remove Programs, and make sure NO Blackberry OS versions are loaded on your PC.
    3. Download and install an OS version you want, that is MADE for YOUR DEVICE!!!
    4. Delete the Vendor.xml file in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
    5. Stay in the same folder as above and start the Loader.exe ... this will start the upgrade process... follow the directions and do not disconnect your device until it is done.

Great thanks. I just didn't know how the different carrier versions work.

So by deleting Vendor.xml i'm deleting carrier specific configurations? (themes, apps, configs, startup splash images)?

And just to reiterate, I can download say.. 8900 - 5.0.0509 Wind Hellas and that would still work for my cinci bell phone (following your steps)

Also, does upgrading the firmware to a different carrier's os also unlock the phone?

Thanks for the input

Quote Originally Posted by c0de View Post
    Great thanks. I just didn't know how the different carrier versions work.

So by deleting Vendor.xml i'm deleting carrier specific configurations? (themes, apps, configs, startup splash images)?

And just to reiterate, I can download say.. 8900 - 5.0.0509 Wind Hellas and that would still work for my cinci bell phone (following your steps)

Also, does upgrading the firmware to a different carrier's os also unlock the phone?

Thanks for the input
    First thing... we do not call it firmware... we know what you are talking about, but we use the term: OS... it is the device's Operating System you are upgrading.

You can only upgrade your OS if you delete the Vendor.xml, unless the OS and Vendor.xml file is from your cell phone provider... otherwise, if you don't it just will NOT work. Basically, the only difference between one carrier's version of any OS like 5.0.0.509 and another carrier's version of the same OS is the Vendor.xml file... otherwise they are exactly the same... and NO, by loading another carrier's OS will NOT unlock the phone.

Awesome, thanks for the help.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Don't forget to reconnect the device prior to running the Loader executable.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Don't forget to reconnect the device prior to running the Loader executable.
    LOL... ok, I missed that one.