Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Well, it's been a whole week with the new phone, so I thought I'd share ... BlackBerry Curve forum

HarryMonk no está en línea Stack level 2

My first week with the Curve

Advertisement

Well, it's been a whole week with the new phone, so I thought I'd share my impressions. I had been using an 8707v, and the immediate thing is the size difference.

The Curve is so much smaller and more svelte than the chunky grey lump I had been using. The Curve doesn't have 3G. Can't say as I've noticed. The Curve doens't have WiFi. Can't say as I've noticed. The GPRS browser if anything seems quicker than my old 3G BB.

So what else? Well, on the downside, changing earpiece volume during calls is now harder. The absence of the wheel on the right of the case in favour of two buttons makes things harder, and I've had to take the phone from my ear rather than just spin the wheel as I would've done on the 8707v. Call quality is generally good, however, but it takes a moment longer to 'seat' the phone on my ear. Probably just getting used to the size difference.

The GUI is as good as ever (need more themes, please, RIM!), but changing things like Profiles takes noticeably longer as the CPU spins itself up.

Application-wise, this phone seems much smarter than my 8707. Word docs pop open properly, JPEGs display properly and PDFs are no problem either. Much, much better than my previous experience. And the camera is great. The flash is incredibly powerful, too, which surprised me. Picture quality is good for a 2 Megapixel snapper, which is nice. The media section also kicks butt. The GUI is Apple-ish enough (I'm a Mac owner) to keep me happy. Video quality is good and music sounds great.

Another difference is keyboard size. The 8300 keyboard is definitely slightly smaller than the one on the 8707, so trimmed nails are essential! I use mine a lot for emailing and haven't really found it slowed me down too much. But it's QWERTY, and that's what I was after. It took me about a day to get used to being more exact in my typing, but after that, it was fine.

To be honest, I can't really fault it after a week. It's much smaller and nicer to hold, has all the apps I need and fits into jeans pocket no problem. Plus the handy leather slip case means I can at least try and keep the screen scratch free.

I was tempted by the 8800 until I heard this was coming out. I'm glad I waited. It blows the other BBs out of the water. Seriously. And I'm a difficult man to please.
    Last edited by HarryMonk; 05-26-2007 at 09:38 AM.

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

Re: My first week with the Curve

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Very nice review!
    Thank you for taking time to inform us of your opinions.
    One note, there has never been a 3G BlackBerry.
    Thanks again!

Sorry, but I beg to differ about the 3G. My UK Vodafone 8707v was 3G and would switch to GPRS if I wasn't in a 3G area. I don't live in an area with 3G coverage, but work in London so it was available there.

I had to pay extra for the 3G package with Vodafone Business, the logo came up in the top right corner... it was running 3G.

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G

Thanks for the great write-up!!!

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~nice review! Thanks

doyletn no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3189c268

Nice reveiw! Very informative. Thanks a lot

sinkers no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by Toddboy71
    One note, there has never been a 3G BlackBerry.
    Thanks again!
    Have a read here

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/communi..._adds_3g_modem
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    OS upgrades are phone dependent NOT carrier dependent

2-4Trippin no está en línea Stack level 3

Great review HarryMonk, well written and descriptive. Good info about 3G in the UK, thanks.

I assume since you say you are a Mac user, there have been no issues syncing the 8300 with Desktop Mgr on the Mac? Are you syncing to Outlook on the Mac?

husnain1 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

great review....now if T-mobile could just release it already.

wendycharles no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249F6ACE

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for your time.

I'm glad you guys liked the review.

I stick to what I said. The Curve is easily the best BB to date and I keep looking at my 'old' 8707v and shaking my head in wonder. How did I lug that around for so long lol.

Unfortunately, I've never had much luck syncing my BBs up to the various Macs I've used, and to be honest I've just given up. PocketMac was pretty useless to me and I never even considered using the wife's PC to sync with.

One thing I should add which might be useful to members. My old 8707v steadfastly refused to ever Bluetooth anything over to my Mac. The 8300 does it right away. No mess, no fuss. That was something that concerned me, what with the Curve having that camera, but it works no problem.

Now if I could just get my Mac to send stuff back to the Curve instead of repeatedly telling me it doesn't have the right privileges!

PS Sinker, thanks for locating the 3G info.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by HarryMonk
    Sorry, but I beg to differ about the 3G. My UK Vodafone 8707v was 3G and would switch to GPRS if I wasn't in a 3G area.
    A lot of forum members forget that not everyone lives in the US and in such cases when they say "3G" they mean "3G in the US (and not EVDO)". Yes, the 8707v is 3G but in the US it would have to fall back on GPRS, making it a moot point for those of us on this side of the pond.

razer no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23d9f9b5
    Quote Originally Posted by husnain1
    great review....now if T-mobile could just release it already.
    Word

diony no está en línea Stack level 1

exilio no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by HarryMonk
    Unfortunately, I've never had much luck syncing my BBs up to the various Macs I've used, and to be honest I've just given up. PocketMac was pretty useless to me and I never even considered using the wife's PC to sync with.
    Thanks for the review Harry! One thing I would recommend is you try Missing Sync from MarkSpace. I am not sure if they added 8300 support yet, but it has worked like a charm with my Pearl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast