soo my curve got a bath in the toilet yesterday .. of all freaking places. ... BlackBerry Curve forum

vwallacexo no está en línea Stack level 1

Question my curve got a bath in the potty .. help please!!

Advertisement

soo my curve got a bath in the toilet yesterday .. of all freaking places. this is my first phone every to have this happen and of course its still brand new. it happened at like 4 yesterday after noon .. the phone was still on when i grab it and it was on 1/2 way in when i got it out and was in for like seconds. it still worked after but i took the battery out and wiped it all down and put it back in to see what would happen since i was at my moms store and didn't want to lose my sim card or anything. my phone did turn back on and loaded like normal but it was still damp so i took the batter back out and came home let it sit and turned the heat on in my car to see if that would work and used the blow dryer and wiped it down it seems dry but wouldn't turn back on and my mom is queen of getting her phone went in the toilet or sink *thats what i get for always laughing at her time after time* and usually if she dries it and lets it charge over night it will turn back on and the thing is still good as new. mine still would not turn on this morning. the light on the phone was flashing red which it does when my batter is dead but no longer will even flash and im trying the rice trick as we speak but the whole thing is i don't have my actual blackberry charger and was sharing my moms Motorola one with her which has been working fine up until last night so i don't know if i should try to charge it with my charger once i find it or buy a new battery and what might happen. the water damage is covered under my insurance but id have to drop $110 to get my new phone and due to not working and just dropping the $400 to get it .. i cant really afford to get the new one now and we just moved in to a new house so i don't wanna bother my mom for the money. but i needed to know if you think i might get some life out of it for the time until i get a new one and if should try to get a new batter .. thank you!

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Welcome to Pinstack!

I have done the same thing with my curve... had it 1.5 days and in the toilet it went. Leave the battery out, phone face down for a couple of days. DO NOT TURN IT ON till it is completely dry, you can blow up the board. My phone ended up working again, but I still ordered the one under my insurance incase something were to go wrong after a couple of days. Good luck!

thankk you! my mom knows the manager at the t mobile store from having worked a few stores down so i might go talk to him and see what he says .. it seems pretty dry i just hope leaving it on the charger didnt fry it.

myberrysrblack no está en línea Stack level 3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ same thing happened to me. I took the battery back off and used a blow dryer. The most important thing is to make sure the battery is dry. Mines works fine now

thanx soo much for the help!! my battery seems dry and was when i put it back in the phone so im gonna wait a few more hours and see what happens. im praying it will work once i find my charger and let it dry a little bit longer.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    hope you have insuance (and plenty of disinfectant)

mrmoe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Welcome to the Stacks. Bummer. Make sure you Air dry for as long as possible.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

sponch no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    25578c8b
    Wishing u good luck with your curve!!!

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Yeah, good luck. It would suck to have to get a new BB. One thing I always tell people, let it dry out for at least a day before even trying to turn it on again. And if it does start to work, you will most likely have problems with it further down the road.

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Quote Originally Posted by vwallacexo View Post
    soo my curve got a bath in the toilet yesterday .. of all freaking places. this is my first phone every to have this happen and of course its still brand new. it happened at like 4 yesterday after noon .. the phone was still on when i grab it and it was on 1/2 way in when i got it out and was in for like seconds. it still worked after but i took the battery out and wiped it all down and put it back in to see what would happen since i was at my moms store and didn't want to lose my sim card or anything. my phone did turn back on and loaded like normal but it was still damp so i took the batter back out and came home let it sit and turned the heat on in my car to see if that would work and used the blow dryer and wiped it down it seems dry but wouldn't turn back on and my mom is queen of getting her phone went in the toilet or sink *thats what i get for always laughing at her time after time* and usually if she dries it and lets it charge over night it will turn back on and the thing is still good as new. mine still would not turn on this morning. the light on the phone was flashing red which it does when my batter is dead but no longer will even flash and im trying the rice trick as we speak but the whole thing is i don't have my actual blackberry charger and was sharing my moms Motorola one with her which has been working fine up until last night so i don't know if i should try to charge it with my charger once i find it or buy a new battery and what might happen. the water damage is covered under my insurance but id have to drop $110 to get my new phone and due to not working and just dropping the $400 to get it .. i cant really afford to get the new one now and we just moved in to a new house so i don't wanna bother my mom for the money. but i needed to know if you think i might get some life out of it for the time until i get a new one and if should try to get a new batter .. thank you!

Here are some ideas (courtesy of Windows Secrets):

[FONT=Arial,Sans-serif] First, the obvious: water and electronics don't mix

If you merely dropped your handheld device on a hard, dry surface, your problem may not be too serious. In cases of dry damage, dust off your device and turn it on. If you can't make it work, you'll need to find a repair service. But you probably won't be out more than a nominal charge to see if it can be fixed.

A much bigger danger is secondary damage caused by exposure to water or other liquids.

"That's when the most damage happens," says Vronko. "People don't realize how much liquid can get inside or the harm it can do." What happens next can determine whether your device lives or dies.

If your handheld is exposed to liquids, try these steps.

Step 1: Act quickly. If your electronic device has been exposed to liquid, a wait-and-see approach may do more harm than good. The longer the electronics are exposed to moisture, the greater the chance of connections corroding, causing irreparable damage.

Step 2: Don't turn it on. "If you turn on a device exposed to water, you're attracting ions to the liquid and causing even more problems," says Vronko.

Step 3: Clean with solvent. Not all electronic devices can be easily disassembled, but do what you can to open yours up if it's a simple matter. Then carefully clean the parts with an electronics-safe solvent.

Good solvents to use for this purpose include contact cleaner from an electronics shop or a strong rubbing alcohol. Don't use the kind of mild alcohol that's sold in many drug stores; it contains too much water. Use a cleaner that's 80% or more alcohol.

Step 4: Dry and try. Once you've cleaned it, let your device dry out completely. Then reassemble it and try it out.

Step 5: If necessary, seek repairs sooner rather than later. If you don't succeed in reviving your handheld, try to get it to a repair service before internal water damage gets worse.

Vronko relates an unusual story in which his cell phone was on his lap during his drive home. When he got out of his car, the phone fell onto the driveway and that night was covered by 12 inches of snow. He didn't find the handheld until spring, two months later.

When he found the phone, he didn't have time to work on it, so he threw it into a freezer for another two months.

Once he found the time, Vronko cleaned out the phone with a solvent and made sure it was thoroughly dry. As a result, the phone worked just fine.

"Certain electronics don't like freezing temperatures," Vronko notes, so he doesn't recommend this approach for everything. "But, in this case, the cold kept the delicate parts from oxidizing."

When is a repair job worth the money?

If your own remedial steps don't help, it's time to seek professional help. Some shops, like Vronko's Rapid Repair, charge little or nothing for estimates. Rapid Repair charges one cent for estimates (a quirk of the company's online billing system), plus $10 U.S. for overnight shipping anywhere in the United States.

Vronko says a number of manufacturers will make repairs for free, especially if their product is the cause of the problem. "For example," says Vronko, "it's extremely common for car chargers to fry a product's mainboard if there is a power spike in the car's electrical system."

In that case, a reputable manufacturer of such a charger may replace your product for little or no money.

"For all your electronics, be extremely wary of hooking it to a car charger if you can avoid it," adds Vronko. "Or, if you do use a car charger, make sure the manufacturer stands by their accessory."

For repairs that aren't caused by user damage, 50% of the repairs Vronko sees require only a new LCD or battery. He adds that 85% of the repairs his company made last year cost the customer $90 or less.

In deciding whether to opt for repairs or a replacement unit, Vronko recommends the 60% rule: If the repair cost is more than 60% of the current replacement value (what the device would cost to buy today), don't bother with a repair. For example, you may have spent $300 on a device originally, but if a new model now costs $200, don't spend more than $120 getting the old one fixed.

Finally, if your product is beyond repair or not worth the cost, ask whether your repair service will recycle it for you. That way, at least reusable materials won't end up in a landfill.

As electronics get smaller, they also become easy to drop and damage. Knowing what to do in a mishap may save you the pain and expense of replacing or repairing your personal device.
    [/FONT]

yahh i have insurance on it .. and thank god it was clean water or id still be standing in the bathroom going how am i going to get this out and throw up all over myself .. it seems to be pretty dried and im gonna try charging it tonight once i find my right charger for my phone and maybe that will give it a little bit more power. as long as i get something out of it ill be happy until i can get a new one. so ill hope for the best and see what happens .. thank you all again!

Well my curve never went back on and I ended up using my upgrade and got the sliver one this time, the gold one ended up in the toliet. Finally after 6days I have a blackberry back!! But thank u for all the help!

monica.simons no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASKME
    Quote Originally Posted by StaceyRVC View Post
    Welcome to Pinstack!

I have done the same thing with my curve... had it 1.5 days and in the toilet it went. Leave the battery out, phone face down for a couple of days. DO NOT TURN IT ON till it is completely dry, you can blow up the board. My phone ended up working again, but I still ordered the one under my insurance incase something were to go wrong after a couple of days. Good luck!

thats what you get for being a lush.....LMAO
    Providing customers with the latest in news and info along with experienced one on one tech support, training, product sales, exclusive themes and more.

TheRiddler no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by StaceyRVC View Post
    Welcome to Pinstack!

LMAO...as soon as I read this I thought "I wonder what Stacey would suggest". Whatup Girlie?