I have a Blackberry 8320 which charges fine through a PC or the AC lead ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Mag1922 no está en línea Stack level 2

My 8320 won't charge via a car charger

Advertisement

I have a Blackberry 8320 which charges fine through a PC or the AC lead but it just won't charge in a car. I have 3 seperate car chargers, all different makes and models bought from different places, but none of them work. I admit i haven't tried the offifcal blackberry one but that is far too expensive. I've tried 2 different batteries and 2 different cars (both brand new) and it just won't charge.

I get the symbol come up of the plug to say it's charging but then 3 seconds later it goes and the charging stops. Any ideas? I've using OS 4.6 for about 8 months and the phone is fine in all other ways.

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    have you by any chance noticed the temperature of your device?

if your blackberry reaches 39degrees celcius, it will automatically stop charging... maybe its a heat issue?
    i see RED...

I don't think it's heat related, the phone's just normal temperature and i've been trying for a few months now. I did also try a Tom Tom charger on my phone because i noticed the voltage was the same. The blackberry chargers will charge my tom tom but not my Blackberry

PIN/ID
    ask me
    on the contrary, ive been able to charge with any mini usb car charger... and the voltage doesnt really matter either... the more there is the faster it charges... on the safe side, all USbs charge at 500ma, so that is always a safe bet...

there might be a defect in your device... try the same chargers on a different blackberry...
    i see RED...

dgburns no está en línea Stack level 3
    USB is always 5 volts.
    Sounds like you have car chargers like some I have, ones that are el cheapo and aren't able to output enough current to charge you BlackBerry. Cheap crap chargers are often that way.
    Buy a RIM car charger on eBay. Not expensive for an authentic item, though not your $1 cheapo crap.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

I'll have a look for an official charger. I have used these chargers on other things though and they work, the last time i looked for an offical Blackberry charger it was Ł25 (about $40)

PIN/ID
    ask me
    ^^ thats way way too much for an official bb charger... i just recently bought a motorola charger and that seems to be doing the trick... and its one of those $5 chargers... pretty sturdy too... maybe you can go to a store and ask em to try it out in your car and buy if it works?
    i see RED...

Just looked up the official charger here in the UK and it's Ł17 or $25. I can't find them for sale on ebay, just all the 3rd party ones

PIN/ID
    ask me
    try for motorola chargers...
    i see RED...

guynextdoor no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    215AC9BE
    I bought a usb car charger but not tmobile branded or rim branded. It worked fine for a couple weeks with no problems, and then it started connecting then stop connecting.

While checking out the charger, I've noticed a "kink" in the wire where the usb end is at..while giggling the connection point I noticed the charge icon come on and off. While connecting with the regular AC charger, it was fine.

So a cheapo charger would be the culprit of my problem.

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by guynextdoor View Post
    I bought a usb car charger but not tmobile branded or rim branded. It worked fine for a couple weeks with no problems, and then it started connecting then stop connecting.

While checking out the charger, I've noticed a "kink" in the wire where the usb end is at..while giggling the connection point I noticed the charge icon come on and off. While connecting with the regular AC charger, it was fine.

So a cheapo charger would be the culprit of my problem.
    Sure it is, get a OEM one, don't forget that you get what you are paying for...