Results 1 to 14 of 14

Where do you download music for you curve? I have I Tunes but I am ... BlackBerry Curve forum

  1. #1
    dagomez's Avatar
    dagomez no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    59

    Music Downloads

    Advertisement



    Where do you download music for you curve? I have I Tunes but I am unable to get those files on my curve. Please advise.

  2. #2
    glehman85's Avatar
    glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    PIN/ID
    24989104
    Posts
    2,673

    Re: Music Downloads

    i use lime wire, but you could also find a website that has free mp3 downloads. then just drag and drop them in

  3. #3
    dagomez's Avatar
    dagomez no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    59

    Re: Music Downloads

    Does Lime Wire have a charge for downloads?

  4. #4
    GBallew's Avatar
    GBallew no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PIN/ID
    2404b3a8
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Music Downloads

    nope, Limewire is a P2P (Peer to Peer) program, like Kazaa but with better corruption protection. All free, and almost any song you want...

    just don't go in to DL Video's...you might get an unpleasent surprise...

    ...that was not Lucky Number Sleven...
    Cingular is now the new at&t

  5. #5
    gkg3059's Avatar
    gkg3059 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    PIN/ID
    204bd5f7
    Posts
    451

    Re: Music Downloads

    Your curve needs files that are mp3, any MP3 or midi file will work on it.

  6. #6
    shmengie's Avatar
    shmengie no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    519

    Re: Music Downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by GBallew
    nope, Limewire is a P2P (Peer to Peer) program, like Kazaa but with better corruption protection. All free, and almost any song you want...
    let's all be clear about this: free=stealing. i don't want anyone saying 'i didn't know that downloading music was illegal.' unless you're paying for a monthly download service or paying by the song (or using a creative commons service), you are stealing.

    please note: i am making no judgments about whether stealing is wrong or not. just pointing out the facts.

  7. #7
    GBallew's Avatar
    GBallew no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PIN/ID
    2404b3a8
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Music Downloads

    This is where P2P programs win somehow. Napster got shut down because the music came from a database. Limewire, being P2P is using the name "Sharing" and not "Stealing". Otherwise it would already be gone.

    I'm just a person to reaps the benefits while they are available. If I really like a band and think they deserve it, I go buy the album, I just use Limewire to see if I'm going to like a band/album before I buy it.

    (not really around a radio too much)
    Cingular is now the new at&t

  8. #8
    alevy1122's Avatar
    alevy1122 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    23

    Re: Music Downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by GBallew
    This is where P2P programs win somehow. Napster got shut down because the music came from a database. Limewire, being P2P is using the name "Sharing" and not "Stealing". Otherwise it would already be gone.

    I'm just a person to reaps the benefits while they are available. If I really like a band and think they deserve it, I go buy the album, I just use Limewire to see if I'm going to like a band/album before I buy it.
    Well, not quite, if you want to be technical about it. P2P networks don't host any files, they just provide a mechanism through which people can "share" files. This is what makes it harder for them to be legally shut down.

    But don't fool yourself into thinking you're not breaking the law by downloading copyrighted files, at least in the US.

    Like a previous poster, I'm not making any judgments here. Just pointing out the facts.

    And if you really want to use P2P software, ditch Limewire and dl uTorrent or Azureus and learn about torrents. Limewire, Kazaa, etc. are inefficient and unreliable, and expose your computer to a lot of security risks.

    Also, any songs you've downloaded from iTunes can be legally stripped of their copy protection by simply burning them onto a CD and then ripping them back into your computer. Obviously this is a time consuming pain in the a** if you've got thousands of songs, but at least it's a workaround - and a legal one, at that.

  9. #9
    GBallew's Avatar
    GBallew no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PIN/ID
    2404b3a8
    Posts
    1,488

    Re: Music Downloads

    umm...little confused here, your first paragraph is just a rewording of what I said...I think I must have worded it wrong. And I know i'm not perfectly "legal" with limewire, but with how little I do download i dont think the feds are going to be knocking at my door any time soon...

    ...and i dont know any thing about torrents, i've heared of bit torrent, but don't understand just what it really is...

    (edited the spelling...I had a bit to drink)
    Last edited by GBallew; 07-31-2007 at 12:56 PM.
    Cingular is now the new at&t

  10. #10
    dagomez's Avatar
    dagomez no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    59

    Smile Re: Music Downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by alevy1122
    Well, not quite, if you want to be technical about it. P2P networks don't host any files, they just provide a mechanism through which people can "share" files. This is what makes it harder for them to be legally shut down.

    But don't fool yourself into thinking you're not breaking the law by downloading copyrighted files, at least in the US.

    Like a previous poster, I'm not making any judgments here. Just pointing out the facts.

    And if you really want to use P2P software, ditch Limewire and dl uTorrent or Azureus and learn about torrents. Limewire, Kazaa, etc. are inefficient and unreliable, and expose your computer to a lot of security risks.

    Also, any songs you've downloaded from iTunes can be legally stripped of their copy protection by simply burning them onto a CD and then ripping them back into your computer. Obviously this is a time consuming pain in the a** if you've got thousands of songs, but at least it's a workaround - and a legal one, at that.
    Thanks alevy1122. I appreciate it.

  11. #11
    rextilleon's Avatar
    rextilleon no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    53

    Re: Music Downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by GBallew
    This is where P2P programs win somehow. Napster got shut down because the music came from a database. Limewire, being P2P is using the name "Sharing" and not "Stealing". Otherwise it would already be gone.

    I'm just a person to reaps the benefits while they are available. If I really like a band and think they deserve it, I go buy the album, I just use Limewire to see if I'm going to like a band/album before I buy it.

    (not really around a radio too much)
    Yup, and the dog ate the homework. Aren't there forum rules about illegal activities--???????

  12. #12
    shmengie's Avatar
    shmengie no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    519

    Re: Music Downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by alevy1122
    ...Also, any songs you've downloaded from iTunes can be legally stripped of their copy protection by simply burning them onto a CD and then ripping them back into your computer. Obviously this is a time consuming pain in the a** if you've got thousands of songs, but at least it's a workaround - and a legal one, at that.
    even though the burn/rip method is a fairly easy workaround, it is, in fact, illegal, even if you legally purchased the tune(s). it's all under the auspices of 'circumventing drm,' which is totally illegal.

    here's just one example. google 'circumventing drm' for more info.

    btw, i really should point out here, i think drm sucks. i think the dmca sucks. i think the riaa and the mpaa should be strung up. i'm all for artists getting paid (i'm one, myself), but we are witness to the last death throes of dinosaur corporations whose business model is no longer relevant. they're trying to squeeze every penny they can before they die, and they're making enemies of the very people who they depend on. (seriously, i ****ing hate the riaa. evil pricks!)

  13. #13
    alevy1122's Avatar
    alevy1122 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    23

    Re: Music Downloads

    Quote Originally Posted by shmengie
    even though the burn/rip method is a fairly easy workaround, it is, in fact, illegal, even if you legally purchased the tune(s). it's all under the auspices of 'circumventing drm,' which is totally illegal.
    hmm. you may well be right - you're definitely correct in saying that the dmca makes it illegal to circumvent drm. but that said, i've never heard of the riaa going after someone for burning a cd of songs bought on iTunes.

    of course that may be because they can't track it. but it's interesting that they've never (to my knowledge) gone after anyone for SAYING that you can do this, whereas they have gone after people who write or blog about other ways to strip drm.

    maybe it's just a pr move on their part - how stupid would they look if they DID go after someone for saying, "oh, by the way, just burn the songs you PAID FOR on iTunes onto a cd and it strips the drm." but on the other hand, they've shown a complete tin ear in how they've gone after P2P users.

    also, you'd think they'd sue iTunes and/or prevent their member companies from selling on iTunes if there was a legal issue with being able to do this...

  14. #14
    Specs's Avatar
    Specs no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,500

    Re: Music Downloads

    And the strangest thing of all?

    Simply putting the music on your BB (or any other music player) is breaking the law.

    Yes, you could well have bought the CD legally but have you ever looked closely at the label?
    It says that any unauthorised copying, lending, broadcasting, lending etc is prohibited.

    That means you can't copy it legally, therefore unless you hold the relevant licenses (MCPS in the UK) you are not allowed to copy the contents at all.

    Even before the days of drm it was actually illegal to lend people your albums and also to copy onto whatever medium you preferred. However the numbers involved were so small that noone ever bothered to pursue it. It was only when the Internet explosion allowed mass copying/sharing that the authorities got all tetchy and started prosecuting consumers.

    I have my own, strongly held, views on the whole thing but this is probably not the place to start banging on about them!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •