Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Originally Posted by hoverhat I just got my curve and have the AT&T "Unlimited Data" ... BlackBerry Curve forum

jedd206 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2404E130

Re: Modem tethering

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by hoverhat
    I just got my curve and have the AT&T "Unlimited Data" plan. I pay $49.99 just for data. I have not been able to get the tethering to work, but had it going with my 7290 (but slow). Where, on the AT&T site, is the connection manager download?
    Its kinda hard to find. If you look under the small/medium business tab>downloads>connection mgr you should see it. If all else fails use the search bar and type in "cingular connection manager". If this still doesn't work go to your freindly AT&T store and they should have a copy of the connection manager you can use/borrow/buy.

PIN/ID
    2404E130

Quote Originally Posted by hoverhat
    I just got my curve and have the AT&T "Unlimited Data" plan. I pay $49.99 just for data. I have not been able to get the tethering to work, but had it going with my 7290 (but slow). Where, on the AT&T site, is the connection manager download?
    You also need to make sure that you have the correct feature attached to your account. If you tether without the BB tethering feature on there, you are going to have a hellacious bill coming your way...

maxdon no está en línea Stack level 1

I just spoke to the guy who sold me my curve and inquired about using it as a modem...he doesn't recommend it or mention it much b/c he said it's a slow if any connection as it doesn't always work or get a connection or isn't compatible --not exactly sure about that statement.

He didn't say I have/don't have the tethering package (I don't) but said I could try it.
    Just go to cingular.com and download & install the connection manager program. Is that the same as what has been mentioned in the previous posts here?

If I do try it, and don't pay for the tethering, I'm gussing I'll have a large bill for the time on line?? THe ATT rep didn't mention anything about other charges for doing this.
    Would it matter if the data plan is unlimited or not?

I'm just curious as it'd be nice to go online with my laptop when the other computer with DSL is being used.

PIN/ID
    2404E130

Quote Originally Posted by maxdon
    I just spoke to the guy who sold me my curve and inquired about using it as a modem...he doesn't recommend it or mention it much b/c he said it's a slow if any connection as it doesn't always work or get a connection or isn't compatible --not exactly sure about that statement.

He didn't say I have/don't have the tethering package (I don't) but said I could try it.
    Just go to cingular.com and download & install the connection manager program. Is that the same as what has been mentioned in the previous posts here?

If I do try it, and don't pay for the tethering, I'm gussing I'll have a large bill for the time on line?? THe ATT rep didn't mention anything about other charges for doing this.
    Would it matter if the data plan is unlimited or not?

I'm just curious as it'd be nice to go online with my laptop when the other computer with DSL is being used.
    the connection will be EDGE....not blazing fast but quite a bit quicker than dial up...the tethering package is 74.99, that includes all of the unltd BB data and unltd tethering....if you try tethering without the correct feature then yes your bill will STING....and yes the connection mgr is the one that you need to tether your BB

maxdon no está en línea Stack level 1

So...don't try it if I don't want to pay up the wahzoo!

Maybe when I'm at the ATT store this weekend, I'll have him "clarify" it and tell me what it'll cost to do that, since he failed to mention it when he was telling me about it over the phone...not that I want to be confrontational, but he should have mentioned a fee or the tethering package, wouldn't one think??? Especially if he says "you can try it, but I can't guarantee it'll even work."

Oh, well, guess it's a good thing I checked here before plugging it in to the laptop!

PIN/ID
    2404E130

sounds like you landed a rep fresh out of training. Any rep worth his salt would have jumped at the chance to give you the tethering package due to the commission value of it. The charges without the tethering package are 1 cent per kb. and believe me that adds up REALLY fast.

ggojman no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2408420e

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~are the steps the same if I run it on "vista" os on my laptop? Do I also disable "mass storage" on my curve? Please help!

Brady no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    241119E3

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkdave
    When I plug my Curve in to the USB port on my computer, my computer doesn't recognize the Curve as a modem. I have the Desktop Manager up and running, and can't add the Curve as a modem in the Phone and Modems control panel. I also can't install the modem driver by right clicking on the modem INF file and choosing install in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Modem Drivers.
    I upgraded from a 8700C to an 8300. I also upgraded DM software at the same time. My PC thought the same thing, and wouldn't connect with desktop manager.

I went to settings> control panel> system> hardware tab> device manager> universal serial bus controllers (bottom of the list). I opened the port labeled "Mass Storage device" and went in and was able to change the driver signing to blackberry device. That worked for me, and it connects every time now..

But I'm not able to tether? I tethered one time successfully and now it times out on error 718 while trying to verify username and password.

One thing that comes to mind is this in now completely AT&T, (I think) I'm using username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM, and dialing *99***1# Is there another number to dial?

sanduneboi no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2413E310

I have found the easiest way to tether is just using ATT's connection manager. I have also found that I can only have either the Connection Manager or DM running. Not both @ the same time.I have the BB personal max unlimited plan w/ teathering for 79.99. (I can't get DSL or Broadband where I live so its worth it.) ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by cavscout32z
    you dont need a tether plan...........
    Not on TMOBILE, just the 19.99 internet.

seafathom no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by c3po25
    Actually just figured this out. you have to go in and set the DNS manually. change the setting from auto setting to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 and everything will work nicely!!
    I added the modem and at first it didn't work for me. The connection said it was connected but the pages weren't loading. But I changed the DNS settings and now it works perfectly (and pretty fast connection - using T-Mobile).

In case people don't know how to change the DNS settings (I didn't until I messed around a little), follow these steps (I'm runnning XP):
    • Find the Dial Up Connection you created under Network Connections
    • Right click on icon for Properties
    • Click on the Networking tab
    • In the "This connection uses the following items:" Highlight the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item which should be checked. Then click Properties
    • Change "Obtain DNS server address automatically" to "Use the following DNS server addresses"
    • Enter 4.2.2.1 for the Prefered DNS server and 4.2.2.2 for the Alternate DNS server
    Worked for me - hope it works for you!

tfung no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2076720F

I have similar problems when trying to connect my 8320 as a tethered modem. With the same computer and same destop manager, it would work fine with my 8707, but once I connect the 8320, it would give me an "error 734: The PPP link control protocal was terminated" when trying to connect. Anyone have a fix for this problem?

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by tfung View Post
    I have similar problems when trying to connect my 8320 as a tethered modem. With the same computer and same destop manager, it would work fine with my 8707, but once I connect the 8320, it would give me an "error 734: The PPP link control protocal was terminated" when trying to connect. Anyone have a fix for this problem?
    eh just a shot in the dark, but do you have your TCP set to wap.voicestream.com?

haggisgirl no está en línea Stack level 2

What should one do if the "Standard Modem" doesn't appear on my laptop? I've installed, uninstalled and reinstalled DM 4.3 and still no Standard Modem. I apologize if this has been asked before, but I did search and couldn't find an answer. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Haggisgirl
    Why yes, that is my Miata. And, yes, it has a Ford 302.

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by haggisgirl View Post
    What should one do if the "Standard Modem" doesn't appear on my laptop? I've installed, uninstalled and reinstalled DM 4.3 and still no Standard Modem. I apologize if this has been asked before, but I did search and couldn't find an answer. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Does the PC detect the phone? The standard modem settings are installed when the drivers are detected from the phone. If Standard Modem does not show up the only thing you can do is create your own. Go to the control panel, phone and modem options, modems tab, add, don't detect my modem i will select it from a list, next, standard 56000 bps modem, select the com port, finish. Hope it helps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast