Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Not sure if anybody else has this problem with their 8320, if so, could you ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Splitz no está en línea Stack level 3

MINOR EDGE/WiFi(UMA) Irritant

Advertisement

Not sure if anybody else has this problem with their 8320, if so, could you fix the issue?

Ok, current settings: Automatic - WiFi Perferred - Data Services On

I hook up to 2 Wifi's each day (one at work, and one at home).
    Once I leave Work, and get home, the phone stays on EDGE, WiFi is not highlighted, but says T-Mobile-Home (router name at home) on the screen, won't switch to UMA.

When I go from home to work, WiFi is not highlighted, but says t-Mobile-Work (Work router name) and won't switch to UMA.

Now:

If I do a SOFT RESET (turn power off, NO battery pull), WiFi goes bright and UMA turns on.

Why won't my phone automatically switch routers at each place? Why do I have to do a soft reset?

Anybody else have this issue?

Using OS 4.5.0.55 (Platform 2.7.0.68)

Thanks in advance!

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Just a thought: have you done the "scan for networks" on both routers and saved both on your BB? If you save the names (locations) it should auto-connect as long as the signal is strong enough to be detected. (I do this with several wi-fi locations and it works.)
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

ganns1980 no está en línea Themes Pro
    Not sure, I can tell you that I'm running 4.5.69 and I have no issues with Wi-Fi/EDGE.

Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Just a thought: have you done the "scan for networks" on both routers and saved both on your BB? If you save the names (locations) it should auto-connect as long as the signal is strong enough to be detected. (I do this with several wi-fi locations and it works.)
    Yup, it's already saved.....just strange that's all.

Once I do the soft reset, everything is ok....just not when I GET to work or GET home.

If you go to the "manage connections" icon and scroll down to "Wi-Fi Options" is selection mode set to "automatic?"

UPDATE: In "wi-fi options" you should also see ALL the connections that you've saved - your home and your work names should both be in there if they are saved.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 09-13-2008 at 11:15 AM.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    If you go to the "manage connections" icon and scroll down to "Wi-Fi Options" is selection mode set to "automatic?"

UPDATE: In "wi-fi options" you should also see ALL the connections that you've saved - your home and your work names should both be in there if they are saved.
    Yep, set to automatic and there is a bunch in my list from the various places that I've traveled this year.

How annyoing huh? lol

Very! It appears that you're doing everything correctly and it should work.

I don't know anything else to suggest except to take it up with your carrier to see if they can either make it work (don't hold your breath whoever it is - didn't look) or replace the unit with one that works. Any hope there?

ARGH.....worked for a little while, now WiFi went un-highlighted.

Saw something new:

Opened Manage Connections:

WiFi is checked and showing the YELLOW MINUS sign.

No UMA.....

What causes the yellos mius sign?

I assume I should be looking for a green checkmark?

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    Bring up wifi diagnostics and it'll give you more info.

Another thing - make sure all of your wifi connections have "Allow inter-access point handover" selected.

Also, when out of wifi coverage, the device tends to do a search on your profiles when you come into coverage in a top-down manner. Put your work and your home networks as the first two so they negotiate quicker.

The yellow minus sign means you're not connected. Yep. You should have a green check. Can you get REAL close to the router and see if you get the green?~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

interesting......

Turned WiFi OFF.

Took the phone and put it NEXT to the router, turned the WiFi back on....couple of seconds, got the Green Checkmark.....

From where I'm usually at in the house, I was only 15 feet away. The antenna on the phone should be better than that?

6 computers in the house all WiFi connected to that router and dont' have this problem.

I got full reception now on the UMA tho....but if it drops, pretty sure I'll be back to square 1 with the yellow checkmark.

Could the clear plastic case be interferring with the WiFi signal?

Clear plastic case?

Just cycling your wifi (not moving) might have renegotiated it for you. (as is often the case)

Is the 4.5 code blessed by T-Mo yet (or might you be getting a newer rev?)

I think I had the same problem with 4.2.2.180, but had the WiFi turned off and just went EDGE. Had a bug up my *** the other day to see if there was something else wrong.

Did a WiFi Diagnistics (Basic)

Error Code W004
    Status: ISP Error. DNS Server (couldn't get the rest of it,

Then cycled again:

Error Code W006.1
    Status ISP or T-Mobile Network Error.

Am I missing a router setting? Connecting via Pre-Shared Key, but WPA.

Security problems? I tried deleting and saving the WiFi profile, and put it to the top of the list.

Doesn't even PING properly via Diagnostics.

Going to Check router settings on the DNS.

Almost seems like the DHCP is failing. (could always see if there's a firmware update for the WAP that T-Mo provided you).
    Sorry (getting my threads confused - was another one like this today)
    Do you have a laptop or desktop you can connect in to the wap to make sure the DHCP & DNS forwarding are being populated correctly?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast