Hi everyone I have my new Curve 8900 and I'm delighted. I had/have a Pearl ... BlackBerry Curve forum

kennymcallister no está en línea Stack level 1

Migrating Address Book from Pearl to Curve 8900

Advertisement

Hi everyone

I have my new Curve 8900 and I'm delighted. I had/have a Pearl 8100 and I'm having trouble copying my address book from the 8100 to my SIM card, so I don't have to rekey all my contacts/addresses. Is there any easy way to do this? I know, it's probably me being daft...

Nice site. Wish I'd seen it when I had the Pearl.

Ta in anticipation of any help you can offer me.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Kenny, Can you use DM to sync your contacts to Outlook giving the 8100 priority and then sync the contacts to your 8900 giving Outlook priority. You can configure the sync to be "directional" before you perform the operation. If you don't want to do a direct copy you should be able to do the sync with the "notify me" of conflicts set on and get it that way. Any help?
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

paulypaul no está en línea Stack level 3
    Kennymcallister.

I just went through you EXACT scenario last month. I went from my 8100 to my new 8900, and I posted the same question.

your BEST and most efficient way to migrate all info to your new 8900 is to download and install DesktopManager 5.0.

connect via USB your 8100 and click on the Device Switch wizard.
    It will back up your 8100. After that is complete it will ask you if you want to wipe the device. I would recommend you say no.

You will then be prompted to remove the 8100 and connect the 8900. DM5 will then move all info to your new device. and I mean ALL INFO. email settings, bookmarks, the whole shabang.

the problem with backing up to your SIM or OUTLOOK is that all fields are not going to be the same. and IMHO backing up to your SIM is 100% useless. doing the device switch in DM5 is the BEST

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    Quote Originally Posted by kennymcallister View Post
    Hi everyone

I have my new Curve 8900 and I'm delighted. I had/have a Pearl 8100 and I'm having trouble copying my address book from the 8100 to my SIM card, so I don't have to rekey all my contacts/addresses. Is there any easy way to do this? I know, it's probably me being daft...

Nice site. Wish I'd seen it when I had the Pearl.

Ta in anticipation of any help you can offer me.
    DO everything you can to avaoid using the SIM card for transfer as you will loose all but one email address and phone number for each contact! The Desktop Manager, "Switch Device Wizzard" is exactly what you are looking for!
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Kenny, Pauly and Greg are correct. If you can use the Switch Device Wizard that is the very best way to do it because, as they said, it takes care of everything including switching your BBM contacts. I was being too literal in answering your specific question of getting (only) you contacts from one device to the other. Sorry if I didn't offer you a better solution.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by GregGebhardt View Post
    DO everything you can to avaoid using the SIM card for transfer as you will loose all but one email address and phone number for each contact! The Desktop Manager, "Switch Device Wizzard" is exactly what you are looking for!
    Man I learned that the hard way a while back. I lost so much contact info that took me hours to manually put back in.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    Quote Originally Posted by MStrawder View Post
    Man I learned that the hard way a while back. I lost so much contact info that took me hours to manually put back in.
    Yep, the days where the contact info is on the card is gone as it hold so little in comparison. I got over 490 contacts with multiple emails, phone numbers and addresses and the idea of having to recover form that . . . well is will not be allowed to happen. I keep backups at the office and the house and keep a spare blackberry restored with the switch device wizard just in case. My company depends on this Bold as does my income!
    Greg
    in Jax, FL