did i do something wrong? any idea why it only has 3.7 gigs available out ... BlackBerry Curve forum

fleshka no está en línea Stack level 3

Question MicroSD card, installed in my curve but only shows 3.7/4.0 gigs free wtf?

Advertisement

did i do something wrong? any idea why it only has 3.7 gigs available out of the 4 gigs the card has? it is a sandisk. thanks all.

saukrateaz no está en línea Stack level 3
    Normally it has a small reserve that cannot be used. Hard drives in computers act in the same manner. If you format the card you may gain some of it back but you will not have the "FULL" 4gbs
    "When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world."
    -George Washington Carver

thanks. now im re-instaling my bb desktop stuff WITHOUT the roxio media player

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    Drive and flash manufacturers tend to express values like "gigabytes" as 4,000,000,000 bytes (4 10^9 gigabyte units), rather than 4,294,967,296 bytes (4 SI 2^30 gibibyte units).

If you convert 4 (manufacturer marketing )"gigabytes" into 4 "gibibytes", you get 3.725 gibibytes.

It's a marketing thing.

thanks appreciatae it guys.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    put in a new 2gb card in my 8300 and only showd 1.8gb, same with my 1 gb. It always is a little less

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~take a look at an ipod box and read it and it will tell you that device actually comes with less memory then advertised, basically each device has different memory compasity. If you were to look at another sd card like your it will mostlikely has more or less actual memory

PIN/ID
    LESS
    yup ditto with the above posts. it will always have as near to what is advertised in memory

avmsam no está en línea Stack level 1
    its a marketing thing, the tech world knows that the conversion is actually 1024 to 1. but the marketing world uses 1000 to 1 so u always lose some in the conversion. cuz its 1024bytes to 1 kb, then 1024 kb to 1mb, then 1024mb to 1 gb and so on and in doing all that u always end up with less. its same with with usb flash drives and hard drives.

imjuscrazy no está en línea Stack level 1
    it's a matter of conversion really. it converts differently than what companies claim they have. so like Thyth said. 4gb converts to actually 3.7+

CHEST ROCKWELL no está en línea Stack level 1
    Sorry for the necro bump, but something is bothering me with all this.

My understanding is that software and hardware read things differently. Meaning one reads in binary and the other in something different.

Am I off the track here?

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Usually the software will present what the hardware tells it. Do you have any examples?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~