Stackers, Has anybody used this "MemoryUP Mobile Ram Booster"? Increase performance? Speed? Worth the 13.00? ... BlackBerry Curve forum

BRGFATHER no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249EF5E7

MemoryUp?? Ram Booster?? Does it work?

Advertisement

Stackers,

Has anybody used this "MemoryUP Mobile Ram Booster"?

Increase performance? Speed?

Worth the 13.00?

http://www.emobistudio.com/products.html

Let me know.

Thanks,

BRGFATHER no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249EF5E7

Re: MemoryUp?? Ram Booster?? Does it work?

Sorry for wasting space....just found info on this forum about memoryup under 3rd party software.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...up_mobile.html

vinmontRD no está en línea Stack level 3

I have been searching online, and have yet to find a really good test / review of the product. It's listed on dozens of sites - but these are typically the sites that sell it, and loads of shareware products. The "review" is invariably a copy of the marketing material that MobiStudio has on their website and in their downloadable PDF document.

Sad state of affairs, when so many sites call something like this a "review". Reviews that are naught more than quotes from a vendor are useless to the consumer.

If anyone has seen a REAL review, please post a link here!

Meanwhile, I'll keep looking...

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i haven't tried it, but I will post a review once I have.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

I use it daily and I clear up 1MB of space on my Pearl. Plus my BB runs much smoother afterwards.

dtx
    dtx no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    207B3A96

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I use memoryup on my curve. Works great. Everything is faster. I clear 1-2mb of memory a couple times a day

jdub71 noticed some of this as well (posted 2 days ago), so I explored a bit more:

Hmmm... since I couldn't find any reviews on my own, I went back to the emobidstudio website to see if THEY could point to any reviews, and here's where it gets interesting:

On the home page, they have a section on the lower left called "awards". They show icons for "topshareware.com with a 5 star rating", "tucows", and a 5-star rating from CNET. I tried, but found that none of these images were clickable.

So I tried going to CNET downloads (where is where the image on the emobistudio site claims the rating should be), and searched for memoryup. No dice: Search for memoryup on CNET yields nothing found.

So - I go to "topshareware.com" and search - no luck here either, "memoryup" cannot be found on topshareware.com.

So - I go to tucows, where emobistudio claims to have received a 4 cow rating. But when I search for memoryup, I get NO HITS.

I looked at the "company" tab on the website, and see a picture of "Robert Wintson", Founder and CEO. Oddly, this is either a misspelling of "Winston", or this is a man with virtually no existence on the Internet, despite appearing to be a software executive who looks to be in his late 50's. Not impossible - but a wee bit suspicious. I can't imagine that, with such a simple website, the CEO would allow a misspelling of his own name - and if it's not a misspelling, then this guy never seems to have existed in the software world before January of this year.

Then I looked at the FAQ page, and there's a picture of "George Mahon", listed as living in "Washington, US". Certainly possible that English isn't George's native language, but the quote they list for him sounds far more as if it were crafted in the Hong Kong headquarters of the company, as they have him saying such gems as, "I have tried MemoryUp for dozens of time and I really like this small but useful software. Today I contact their company for purchase and upgrade information. Their custom service is good, they reply me in a few minutes, telling me their is a free upgrade and each registered user..."

Of course I could be wrong, but this sounds more like Hong Kong written marketing hype than it sounds like an actual quote from "George Mahon" in "Washington, US".

There are NO real tests or reviews for this product. The only mentions on the net for this product and company are clones of their press release and product literature, and links to download and/or purchase the product. That's it. Oddly, although there has been a Symbian version marketed for a few months, there are NO real reviews of the product for that platform either.

The sad state of affairs seems to be that there are thousands of sites that will happily jump on the "sell a product" bandwagon, and promote something that will make them money, even going so far as to mindlessly quote the provided marketing material as if it's fact.

While a company can do quite well promoting a product like this via press releases and remarketing via download sites, wouldn't you think that something this "powerful" - something that can dramatically improve the user experience with a blackberry (or Symbian or S60 phone) - would be submitted to places such as test sites and CNET labs for actually testing and review? That would be SO much more credible.

Re: the positive user experiences - sure - it's possible that this works I imagine. But, as pointed out earlier in this thread, it's a bit suspicious that an unsigned app like this would have low level access to the JVM, and could force a garbage collect and reorganization of the working memory allocated to the JVM, and further that it would be able to do a "smart" analysis of the memory requirements of all the Java programs running at the moment.

Testimonials are worthwhile - sometimes. But you can't necessarily consider them "fact". People WANT to believe that a product works, and there will often be subtle variations in performance that are hard to attribute to any particular factor.

Without measurable, repeatable, figures to back up the claims of this company and product, and with all the items I mentioned above, I'm increasingly skeptical about all of this. It's possible that it may belong in the "antenna booster foil sticker" bin, with all the other fake products on the market...

robert_lee no está en línea Stack level 1

But MemoryUp really works on my BB 8800. I run it everyday to clean about 1M momeory on my BB.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Quote Originally Posted by robert_lee
    But MemoryUp really works on my BB 8800. I run it everyday to clean about 1M momeory on my BB.
    Sorry, I'm going to have to go with vinmontRD on this one. With such negligible results as 1MB memory savings. This program hardly seems worth running. At least when I can go in the media app, select the option for reserved picture memory, set that to 0 and save 5MB. I know our devices don't have THAT much memory, but if 1MB is making that big a difference to your phone you either have too many apps, themes, languages installed, or you have a nasty memory leak. 1MB...

There's a very good chance that the 1MB cleanup robert_lee is seeing is actually the program cleaning up it's own out-of-scope java objects that haven't yet been picked up by the java garbage collector. The chances that it's doing anything beyond this are truly negligible. Also: all the considerations about the company being a total fraud/scam still stand. The company still appears to have no legitimate standing whatsoever.

renerabbitt no está en línea Stack level 1

i did a trial period of this product..call it coincidence, but my opera stopped working very soon after using this app and i got opera to work again only after deleting this app

Everything that appears to be publicly available about the company and the product points to "bogus". I would steer clear of this "company" and their software.

simprit no está en línea Stack level 2
    Found out about this MemoryUp from Handango best seller for Utilities categories. Got interested and went study the web site and googled for the reviews.

At first it looks *like real*. But the more detail I studied the more fishy it shows. Till I found this thread, http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=40628, and http://www.newlc.com/forum/boost-you...le-ram-booster

Now I am now absolutely sure that it is a scam.

My question is: how did it make it to become best seller in Handango? How many copies have been sold? Shouldn't someone do something to stop this??

Yes - as you can see from my comments in this thread, as one of the others you quoted, I was immediately suspicious of the product because it's essentially impossible for it to do what is claimed because of the security and isolation models used in virtually all modern operating systems.

Then, as I examined the adds, domain name(s), and so forth, it became increasingly clear that it has all the trappings of a scam. There appears to be nothing at all legitimate about this.

Handango and other portals like this apparently don't look too closely when somebody signs up to sell their wares. There are enough trusting customers "out there", not understanding the issues involved, so that it becomes pretty easy to sell snake oil like this. In this kind of situation, Handango doesn't seem to be much better about protecting customers than eBay, and it seems to be a reinvention of a open marketplace in which "caveat emptor" is the rule of the day.

Sad situation. I suspect that a good approach might be if several people each filed complaints with: their local state Attorney General's consumer affairs/fraud office. Perhaps cc'ing places like Handango on each letter might at least convince them to be more aware of the potential fraud that they are facilitating, however unwittingly.

- Jon

DonGato no está en línea Stack level 3
    It looks and sounds fishy.