Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

There is no problem. Your BlackBerry is just like a computer. As you use it, ... BlackBerry Curve forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Advertisement

There is no problem.

Your BlackBerry is just like a computer. As you use it, the applications are loaded into memory. Therefore the memory is being used, which shows a reduction in memory remaining for usage. Then just like a PC when you close out of an application the memory is not always returned until you shut down. Upon
    re-booting you check & see that the memory has been returned, thus the higher number.

So, no worries, just use it and enjoy it.

Also remember that it's a good practice to shut down your BlackBerry once a day. Then wait a minute & re-boot it. Every carrier suggests this as it serves a purpose. First it gives you a fresh connection which insures the best operation & voice clarity. And second it's only once your phone logs back onto the cellular network, that updates are pushed to your phone from your carrier. If you do not shut down, you will not receive their network updates.

Cheers

~via BoldBerry (wap.pinstack.com)~

wibbly no está en línea Stack level 3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

It's only a memory leak if the free memory continues to drop, eventually to zero.

And not every operator recommends rebooting or power cycling your BlackBerry one a day! I actuallu don't know of ONE, but YMMV.

Reboot IF you have a problem, like with most tech these days :-|

Quote Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

And not every operator recommends rebooting or power cycling your BlackBerry one a day! I actuallu don't know of ONE, but YMMV.
    I have specifically been told by tier two tech support from both AT&T and T-Mobile that a reboot of _any_ brand of phone, either a dumb phone or smart phone is suggested. They are constantly updating, repairing and upgrading their networks and that is the reason they suggest this. It has _nothing_ to do with it being a BlackBerry.

My personal experience is
    A) it's not hard...... to turn off the phone... and turn it back on.
    B) I always have a great voice connection that way, and no dropouts from either network.

iridemybike no está en línea Stack Professional
    I'm not entirely sure how much stock I really put into the memory leak thing. I'm using an 8310 on 4.5.0.81 OS. Yes it's annoying and I can't seem to get rid of it despite which 3rd party apps are installed/running at the time. It frequently goes down to 0 in less than a day but aside from the inability to remember a current bbm convo(which I don't really use much anyways) it doesn't seem to have any adverse effect being at 0. It doesn't lose emails, txt or anything else. It doesn't effect web browsing. I do usually have to battery pull every few days due to the device getting the permanently spinning hourglass. But I don't worry about the memory leak since it doesn't really seem to be effecting anything.

Tucker

babybluetx23 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Great post, very useful. I'm looking forward to an updated report after you've had a chance to use your replacement for a while.

Good Luck
    Cheers...
    Well to give you an update, i got my replacement phone on wednesday New Years eve. I backed up my old phone, activated the new one, restored my setting and didnt loose a SINGLE text message........Till Saturday! my phone dumped my txt messages again! so I waited another day or two.....Yesterday...monday my phone dumped my txt messages AGAIN! pulled the battery, waited another day....low and behold AGAIN it happened to me! this morning my phone dumped my txt messages again! So I called verizon technical support. they are going to get with Blackberry and level 2 tech support and see what they can find out. if they cant fix this problem I very well may make the move to the storm. =(

uberspeed no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24aa4e29
    Quote Originally Posted by babybluetx23 View Post
    Well to give you an update, i got my replacement phone on wednesday New Years eve. I backed up my old phone, activated the new one, restored my setting and didnt loose a SINGLE text message........Till Saturday! my phone dumped my txt messages again! so I waited another day or two.....Yesterday...monday my phone dumped my txt messages AGAIN! pulled the battery, waited another day....low and behold AGAIN it happened to me! this morning my phone dumped my txt messages again! So I called verizon technical support. they are going to get with Blackberry and level 2 tech support and see what they can find out. if they cant fix this problem I very well may make the move to the storm. =(
    Verizon? The 8900 is GSM.

Hopefully they will be able to do something for you. I know it's not much of a consolation, but we must remember that all the new BlackBerrys have had lots of problems. Patience is the key as the Storm & Bold have each had significant problems as I'm sure you are aware of. Right now it's a crap shoot, when buying a new BlackBerry. I'm sure at some point RIM will get them sorted out, just don't count on it being soon, as they are busy readying the next round of "kit phones". ... j/k

There is one way to insure that you get a great BlackBerry and that is to buy any version of the Curve 83xx. They are well worth it, and priced lower than ever. A few weeks ago when I was on my fourth Bad Bold I bought another new 8310 and it was only $79.99. The Best BlackBerry I've owned .... period.

Clittle07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    So far I haven't had a memory leak issue on my 8900 and on my curve it seems like by the end of the day or every other day I was down to 0 mem free and haven't had any of problems yet on my 8900.

th577 no está en línea Stack level 3
    My 8320 got worse after the T-Mo OS upgrade. Now my 8900 shows it as well, but like most others to go from 134 to 115 meg means nothing to me in terms of performance. Maybe that's one of the reasons RIM increased the memory??(HA HA) Anyway anything over 5 or 10 should keep the phone working just fine, so why worry about it?

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I seem to only be losing a few megs (about 5) on .133. Keeping an eye on it, but much better than the 8310.
    ~via smartphone wap.pinstack.com~

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    I haven't experienced the memory leak problem on my new 8900. I have 4.6.1.152 OS. Maybe try an upgraded OS and see if that helps. Also, make sure you are closing out all of your apps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12