I have about half the apps I had on my pearl and I still have ... BlackBerry Curve forum

micherooo no está en línea Stack level 3

Memory leak?

Advertisement

I have about half the apps I had on my pearl and I still have really low memory I have removed preinstalled themes and media, and the usual recommended things to remove (clear log, my messages set to 15 days) yet I still have about 14-16. I get 16K at a fresh reboot and it can go down to 12 by the end of the day and I've seen it lower. So I've been doing a reboot every day to avoid reboots during calls (yup, it was happening quite a bit). I admit I get a lot of SMS which would hog up the memory and I have had call reboots on my pearl, but I would only reboot about once a week, not once a day!

Any insight into my problem? Suggestions?

Is there a way I can look at everything on my phone to see what uses up what space? Maybe I need to manually move the language files I don't need instead of just not having it installed when I load it up on App Loader? I did it this way this time cuz it was easier, but I did it manually when I had my pearl. But STILL! I had a lotttt more apps on my pearl and it was fine. I'm getting frustrated.

Otherwise, my Curve's been perfect. I love it! I love Wifi!!!!

Thank you!

bpursley no está en línea Stack level 2
    I've found that it doesn't really close applications when you exit, and a lot of applications have an explicit Close or Exit menu item that actually removes it from memory, instead of just switching it to the background. Maybe this is the case in your situation?

If you're on the screen with all the icons, press the "blackberry button" (the button just next to the green phone button). And choose "Switch Application". That should pop up a small window, and if you move left and right you should see all the apps that are open. You can switch to them and close them if you want to free up some memory.

Just an idea. Let me know if it works.

jaesternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b04967
    Micheroo, I had the same problem! However, the following is what I did do to stabilize my berry:

1. Shorten the times of deletion for emails and sms. i.e. instead of 60 days to erase older messages, I changed it to 15 day clean ups.

2. This next tip was MAJA, this really cleaned up and made my phone run much more smoothly and efficiently. On the main menu screen, hold alt and press lglg....release. There should be a menu that pops up, this menu is a history of everything you have done on your phone. Press menu, and delete all prior. This trick seriously cleans up your berry and works! Don't worry about having any of this information effect your blackberry if its deleted. Like I said, all that junk is just a history of all the actions that have been done on your phone - I do this trick every two days to clean up more memory and get rid of unnecessary history. Hope this helps....

I do close my apps manually. I can tell what's open also by hitting alt+backspace button. I mentioned I set my messages to delete at 15 days, and I have cleared my log (which only helps a little).

I'm still at 16K and my pearl I functioned fine with 16K but I also had like 5 more apps.

Hmmm...I dunno what to do now.

FastAzzToyz no está en línea Stack level 2
    I am having this same problem!! Pull the battery and have about 10k of memory and it will leak all the way down to 0k and delete my SMS texts and call log!! Sometimes it takes hours, other times it take days. I've tried all the "fixes" with no luck, I installed the latest OS, I even wiped the phone clean and started over. Getting to be very very irritating! I had the same problem with my pearl which was the reason I bought the curve. Any help??? Thanks!

bpursley no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by FastAzzToyz View Post
    I installed the latest OS, I even wiped the phone clean and started over. Getting to be very very irritating! I had the same problem with my pearl which was the reason I bought the curve. Any help??? Thanks!
    What OS version are you running? The fact that you say you had the problem on the Pearl and the Curve is strange. Maybe its a problem in one of the newer OSs. I have a pearl and haven't had this problem, but I run 4.2.0.71.

Also, do you run any third party software or anything custom installed besides what comes on it by default?

FastAzzToyz no está en línea Stack level 2
    Im running the 4.2.2.180 OS and the only 3rd party apps I have are IM+ and Telenav

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Remove unused themes, app, get a memory card. get everything off your blackberry you dont need

Check check check. I have already prior to this thread, removed unused themes, apps, and have a 2GB memory card. It's so bad that as soon as I send a picture message I have to delete it right away to save valuable memory space.

Is there any new insight? Hmph.

Looks like the options I have is to replace my phone (booo for refurbished) I have returned a phone in the past which acted crazy on me (did CONSTANT reboots on its own, like 5 times a day with no apparent memory probs). Looks like the only hope I have is to wait for an OS upgrade. I know when I had the pearl I had memory leak issues and one of the OS upgrades was just MAGIC to me.