Hi everyone, So far I have been loving my Curve. However, there is one aspect ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Ybot no está en línea Stack level 1

Media player constantly crashing when listening to MP3s

Advertisement

Hi everyone,

So far I have been loving my Curve. However, there is one aspect that is driving me nuts, I hope someone here has a suggestion for me! I chose the Curve over the 8800 as I wanted to replace my iPod Shuffle I use on my commute to work. I was hoping by merging my cell and mp3 player I wouldn't miss calls anymore and would enjoy being slightly less geeky by only carrying one piece of electronics.

So I bought a 1gb MicroSD card, formatted it, enabled Mass Storage Mode on the Curve and connected it to my iMac. I then copied about 100 MP3s from my iTunes Library (DRM-free MP3 files) onto my Mac's HD and then onto the Micro SD card. The process went fine and all the files copied over the USB cable in a few minutes.

I clicked on Shuffle in the 8300's media player and was enjoying song after song until all of sudden I noticed that the music had stopped. I checked the screen to find this error:

Uncaught exception:
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException

So I went back into Shuffle and started listening again. After a while the same thing happened. Assuming one of the files was corrupted in the transfer I erased the memory card and re-exported my MP3s from iTunes to my Mac's HD and then copied them over to the card again. After playing again I received the same error. Just to be sure it wasn't the music files I played all the songs I exported in iTunes, QuickTime and on my iPod and they all play fine.

The Curve doesn't show much ID3 information on the media player application nor does it show album artwork. I am guessing this is because I tag my MP3s with the new ID3 2.4 standard and most devices as I understand it use 2.3. I am hoping that is not the reason for the crash, but if someone here thinks that is the problem I will re-tag my MP3s in 2.3.

SO, my question to all of you is: Do you have any idea as to why my media player is constantly crashing?! Any and all suggestions will be happily received!

Thank you in advance,
    Ybot

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

Re: Media player constantly crashing when listening to MP3s

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    sorry to hear of ur troubles ybot -
    I can tell u however that many of my music file do have album art that shows on my Curve... So maybe that tag standard u note is a contributing factor.

Ybot no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by jscottbarnes
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    sorry to hear of ur troubles ybot -
    I can tell u however that many of my music file do have album art that shows on my Curve... So maybe that tag standard u note is a contributing factor.
    I think I've cracked the album art problem. If you use iTunes to download your album art (like I've done for 90% of my music collection) it does NOT store the album art file inside the mp3. However, if you manually add album art to a song in iTunes it DOES embed the art into the file. So this is why I am missing album art for so many of my songs.

No one seems to know why the media player crashes so much, so I am going to try re-tagging my music with ID3 2.3 and see if that helps. Though I am doubtful. I saw one other poster is having random media player crashes too. One shouldn't expect RIM to have developed iPod-level software for their first (or second or third) attempt, but really, I am kind of surprised at how often and easily this software crashes. It feels very rushed and "beta" to me.

I'll let you know how the re-tagging goes!

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~pls do... Thx

dollars5 no está en línea Stack level 3

Also feel free to try third party mediaPlayer from us, more details and futures available at this thread http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com..._internet.html