If anyone has the knowledge to authoritively explain media card encryption, that would be Very ... BlackBerry Curve forum

wibbly no está en línea Stack level 3

Media card encryption summary?

Advertisement

If anyone has the knowledge to authoritively explain media card encryption, that would be Very Good, please.

Given different data (media files and other files) can be got to and from the media card in several ways (mass storage mode, the Roxio media manager, the previous RIM? media manager, Bluetooth, as email attachments, via MMS...) it's all very confusing under what combinations the data is encrypted, decrypted, or even viewable...

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: Media card encryption summary?

Still need help?

Also, I notice the link in your signature requires a username and password?

> Still need help?

Yes, please.

It's not clear to me at all under what combinations files will get encypted and when encrypted files can be got off the BB in decrypted form. It seems there was a change as far as what can be done via a PC when RIM migrated to to the Roxio based media manager, and lots of different examples of what happens when you try and send or receive files via email, bluetooth, or whatever. Sometimes they get encrypted, sometimes not. Sometimes they are sent decrypted, sometimes not. IIRC I don't think the Roxio software even makes encrypted files visible at all at the PC?!

For a company that prides itself on security, RIM are sure making this aspect so unintuative as to stop me, at least, from using it at all!

One consistent theme is I don't think you can use the BB as an "encrypted memory stick" in mass storage mode as the BB won't encrypt/decrypt on the fly on this mode, unfortunately.

> Also, I notice the link in your signature requires a username and password?

Should be fixed now...

Anyone?