I have an unlocked AT&T Curve running the TMO OS and I have a terrible ... BlackBerry Curve forum

curve123 no está en línea Stack level 2

Massive Dropped Call Problem T-Mo

Advertisement

I have an unlocked AT&T Curve running the TMO OS and I have a terrible problem with dropped calls in the middle of Manhattan. Mostly when speaking to other cell phones, the call will drop after a minute or so. I replaced the SIM chip and tried another Curve but I still have the same problem. The TMO people are very helpful and after many calls got two answers, either of which may be true or false.

1) We have 6 or 7 towers down in your area, they have been down for a while, we will fix them maybe
    2) You have an AT&T branded phone and it will never work correctly on the TMO network- there are customizations on the phone (such as the AT&T logo) that are not written over when upgrading the OS.

I have seen posts from many TMO customers who seem to be getting good service from an unlocked AT&T phone, and this is driving me crazy. The TMO Customer Service is excellent, helpful, and in several cases the person said they wanted to help me get the thing working because they wanted one themselves.

Any ideas? Obviously I can get the TMO version in a month or so, but now....???

TIA

vinmontRD no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Massive Dropped Call Problem T-Mo

Quote Originally Posted by curve123
    I have an unlocked AT&T Curve running the TMO OS and I have a terrible problem with dropped calls in the middle of Manhattan. Mostly when speaking to other cell phones, the call will drop after a minute or so. I replaced the SIM chip and tried another Curve but I still have the same problem. The TMO people are very helpful and after many calls got two answers, either of which may be true or false.

1) We have 6 or 7 towers down in your area, they have been down for a while, we will fix them maybe
    2) You have an AT&T branded phone and it will never work correctly on the TMO network- there are customizations on the phone (such as the AT&T logo) that are not written over when upgrading the OS.

I have seen posts from many TMO customers who seem to be getting good service from an unlocked AT&T phone, and this is driving me crazy. The TMO Customer Service is excellent, helpful, and in several cases the person said they wanted to help me get the thing working because they wanted one themselves.

Any ideas? Obviously I can get the TMO version in a month or so, but now....???

TIA
    Which TMo OS version??? The only ones we've seen are from Germany, Croatia and the UK, and these are known to not get you the proper service books and browsers for TMo USA.

I have no idea if the OS version will impact your stability, but I'm using the O2 version, which also gets me the TMo browsers and service books, and it works perfectly - no dropped calls - all over NJ, PA and NYC.

The TMO UK version does not have the service books for the browser, but otherwise gives good reception and works well- The other phone I tried the SIM chip in has the O2 OS and it dropped calls faster than the TMO OS. SO- Maybe there is poor service in the middle of Manhattan??

Quote Originally Posted by curve123
    The TMO UK version does not have the service books for the browser, but otherwise gives good reception and works well- The other phone I tried the SIM chip in has the O2 OS and it dropped calls faster than the TMO OS. SO- Maybe there is poor service in the middle of Manhattan??
    I have no problem in Manhattan, from Water Street / Wall Street area, up through midtown (West, central and East). No problem at all. Upper west side is fine too. Penn Station, Bryant Park, Grand Central. Upper west side is good too (Museum of Natural History up through Harlem). I don't know of any dead spots in Manhattan for TMo, although they probably *do* exist. But in several years, I haven't experienced any, except deep into the center of some floors in a couple of office buildings where the signal doesn't seem to penetrate.

jikdoc no está en línea Stack level 2

i've got a curve with O2 OS on T-Mo. while i wouldn't call my dropped calls problem massive it is fairly annoying. it gets really bad at work on 59th and 10th avenue. at home on the east side it's not much of a problem. i'm not sure if it's time of day or location but during the day it can get really bad, dropped after 2 minutes of talking 50% of the time. at nite it's no problem at all

ziminvades no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

I'm in Dallas Texas and have so many dropped calls I'm seriously thinking about at&t. The curve is the phone I want to keep. I have dropped calls and I have found it's in weak reception areas. I have full bars but my phone receptions is low (something you can see unless you go into your status screen). It's not all about the os but I'm sure it helps to have the current one. I have tried Germany's and the same problems exists. if T-mobile is going to carry the curve then they need to work on a solution with reception. Apparently it's a bigger and more wide spread issue. Is it the internal antenna? Is it the towers? Is it the os? All I can say is mobile better hire more tech support.
    Ps. I'm a loyal t-mobile customer. Not a ragging t-mobile bashing person. I want a good product and good service. =)
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Yes- this is exactly the issue- WHY do some phones drop after 2 min or so for such a high percentage of calls? This cannot be right- and I wonder if there IS ANY DIFFERENCE at all in the performance of a "native" TMO phone or an AT&T phone with TMO service. I know the phones can roam on each other's network, but IS THERE ANY DIFFERENCE USING ONE BRAND'S PHONE ON ANOTHER'S NETWORK? Sorry for shouting, but no one seems to address that question- and one TMO person claimed the dropped calls were due to the "off brand" phone.

jax80 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23f8b97f

i used to have a pearl (which was stolen!) -- but i used to have dropped calls all the time in my apartment (midtown west) ---had to switch to a simple Nokia until I buy a new blackberry ---but the reception has been night and day.....not a single dropped call with the nokia...plus I have full bars with the nokia ..and only had 2-3 with the Pearl.

o2sys no está en línea Stack level 2

I also have horrible reception and get about 3~5 drops in a 5 min convo. I'm using the att curve with o2 os. But this horrible dropped calls issue is only happening in midtown while I'm at work (the most important time) and on my way back home in the lirr is just too awful to even bother making a call. I really want to smash my curve. Once I'm back at queens, service is great and have have no issues AT ALL...
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

I'm having a diffrent problem, before with my 8700g.. I my EDGE connection rarely drop to SOS or X but now with the curve it drops more than 10x a day! The more I use it the more it drops! What weird is I don't really get drop calls just the EDGE connection.

I don't think I will get another unlocked phone ever again.. I'm going to wait for the Tmobile 8320 Curve and I will keep that until a better device comes out for T-Mobile and T-Mobile only.

boomboom no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    retired

Quote Originally Posted by flash24
    I'm having a diffrent problem, before with my 8700g.. I my EDGE connection rarely drop to SOS or X but now with the curve it drops more than 10x a day! The more I use it the more it drops! What weird is I don't really get drop calls just the EDGE connection.

I don't think I will get another unlocked phone ever again.. I'm going to wait for the Tmobile 8320 Curve and I will keep that until a better device comes out for T-Mobile and T-Mobile only.
    I just bought an unlocked AT&T pearl. Now it is a different phone, I have to say the call quality is 10X better then my 7105t.

I am sure it has to be the phone and not the service. I had a friend who used to work for t-mobile, who now works for AT&T. I always complained about the service on my treo 600... He kept on saying, are you sure it is the service? It is just probably the phone. "we have had so many problems with treos, we aren't even going to carry them anymore...."

I guess sometimes it is good that t-mobile doesn't always carry the lastest and greatest...as seen with the Curve.

toymachinejg no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24232f19

i have an unlocked curve and it works great on tmobile i havent gotten any droped calls

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Quote Originally Posted by boomboom
    I just bought an unlocked AT&T pearl. Now it is a different phone, I have to say the call quality is 10X better then my 7105t.

I am sure it has to be the phone and not the service. I had a friend who used to work for t-mobile, who now works for AT&T. I always complained about the service on my treo 600... He kept on saying, are you sure it is the service? It is just probably the phone. "we have had so many problems with treos, we aren't even going to carry them anymore...."

I guess sometimes it is good that t-mobile doesn't always carry the lastest and greatest...as seen with the Curve.
    Yea I know it's the curve... maybe some sort of compatibility issue

Quote Originally Posted by flash24
    Yea I know it's the curve... maybe some sort of compatibility issue
    It's really not a universal issue:

I've had 8700, 8800 and pearl on Cingular/AT&T, a pearl on T-Mobile, and also an unlocked Curve on T-Mobile. I've used them all from Washington, through NJ and up into NYC and New England. Most of my time is in Manhattan. I almost never got a dropped call in Manhattan, from Wall Street up through the Village, into Midtown East and West, and into the Upper West Side. I personally prefer T-Mobile, but I have to say that both T-Mobile and Cingular have been great with these devices - including the pearl and the Curve. Truly - no drop problems at all -- and btw, I'm using the O2 OS with the unlocked Curve on T-Mobile.

Whatever you're experiencing is NOT universal.