I've searched serval forums and could not find an answer: When I plug in my ... BlackBerry Curve forum

websquad no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Mass storage device when USB plugged in

Advertisement

I've searched serval forums and could not find an answer: When I plug in my 8300 to my desktop via a USB plug, it synchronizes the 8300 and the desktop's Outlook automatically. I want it to do that - but know how to turn if off if I change my mind. It also "mounts" my 2GB mass storage device - in my case, this is drive "R:"

95% of the time I just want to synchronize the system and don't need Drive R: mounted.

Is there some setting that will bypass mounting the mass storage device when I connect the 8300 to a USB port, and still allow my to synchronize my Outlook data (calendar, contacts, tasks, notes)? I've tried a number of Media Card option combinations, and just can't seem to get it right!

Dream Rider no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Mass storage device when USB plugged in

You can select to enable the mass storage or decline to enable at the prompt when you connect the USB cable. You can set the mass storage for prompt, on, or off by going to Options>Media Card>Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected and set it to one of the three options.
    If you're going to dream - Dream Large!

deljustdel no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Options-mediacard-auto enable mass storage device: change this to prompt
    Try that I think that's what your looking for

Quote Originally Posted by deljustdel
    Options-mediacard-auto enable mass storage device: change this to prompt
    Try that I think that's what your looking for
    That didn't seem to make much of a difference.

(1) when I plugged in the USB cord, I was not prompted for anything (although "prompt" was selected on the 8300 as suggested); however, the USB icon appeared in the tool tray

(2) the device synched as expected, but

(3) I had to click the USB icon and jump through those hoops to "Safely remove device" (forget the exact pharse) .... and that's what I want to avoid, having to jump through that hoop everytime in synch the device.

Quote Originally Posted by websquad
    That didn't seem to make much of a difference.

(1) when I plugged in the USB cord, I was not prompted for anything (although "prompt" was selected on the 8300 as suggested); however, the USB icon appeared in the tool tray

(2) the device synched as expected, but

(3) I had to click the USB icon and jump through those hoops to "Safely remove device" (forget the exact pharse) .... and that's what I want to avoid, having to jump through that hoop everytime in synch the device.
    I do not use the "safely Remove Device" feature. The one time I did it caused me some problems with my media card.

After you select an option you need to press menu and select save for many of the changes to take effect.

Am I a USB Slave ??

Dream Rider's post brings up a large issue, IMHO. Somewhere along the way I was lead to believe that the "Safely Remove Device" feature had to be strictly observed because some write operations from the desktop to the USB-connected mass-storage device may have not been completed, and the "Safely Remove Device" function completed the write operations, updated the USB device's file pointers, and then allowed the USB-connected storage device to be safely connected.
    1. Have I been wrong all these years?
    2. Specifically, can I remove the 8300 without fear of file corruption?
    3. Generally, can I remove ANY USB-connected storage device without fear of file corruption?
    4. Since only the 2GB extended memory card shows up as drive "R:" and it apparently doesn't have my calendar/contact/task/MemoPad files on it, does the USB "Safely Remove" function not apply to the internal memory of the 8300 but only to the 2GB device I installed after purchase?
    Inquiring mind(s) want to know !!

SokudoBlade no está en línea Stack level 3

Usually with my blackberry's and flash drives.. when the file transfer says complete or in the BB's case where the screen on the bb go's back to normal i unplug it. Never had a problem or needed to double check if the transfer went through.
    at&t Retail Sales Consultant Whitehall, PA. Data SME.

Re: Am I a USB Slave ??

Quote Originally Posted by websquad
    Dream Rider's post brings up a large issue, IMHO. Somewhere along the way I was lead to believe that the "Safely Remove Device" feature had to be strictly observed because some write operations from the desktop to the USB-connected mass-storage device may have not been completed, and the "Safely Remove Device" function completed the write operations, updated the USB device's file pointers, and then allowed the USB-connected storage device to be safely connected.
    1. Have I been wrong all these years?
    2. Specifically, can I remove the 8300 without fear of file corruption?
    3. Generally, can I remove ANY USB-connected storage device without fear of file corruption?
    4. Since only the 2GB extended memory card shows up as drive "R:" and it apparently doesn't have my calendar/contact/task/MemoPad files on it, does the USB "Safely Remove" function not apply to the internal memory of the 8300 but only to the 2GB device I installed after purchase?
    Inquiring mind(s) want to know !!
    1. No
    2. YES
    3. No
    4. You do not need to use the "Safely Remove" function with your Curve. If fact, the one time I used it it caused major problems for me. I never used it before or after that one time and NEVER have had ANY problems.