I was using Mapquest Navigator on my 8320 with an external GPS puck and wanted ... BlackBerry Curve forum

pcwizpcwiz no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32ae40a5

Mapquest Navigator Does work on 8900 if you have an external GPS puck

Advertisement

I was using Mapquest Navigator on my 8320 with an external GPS puck and wanted to continue to use it but they won't have an 8900 version for a few months.

I tried several versions Bold, 8330, 8800, 8820 and couldn't get one to work with the GPS. Some like the Bold version wouldn't run without error, others just wouldn't see the GPS.

Then I decided to try it with the GPS puck and sure enough the 8330 version does work with my external GPS puck. It's not an elegant solution but it will allow me to use my already paid for the year Mapquest Navigator for free instead of paying $10/month for Telenav.

Hopefully they will have the 8900 version soon so I can ditch the puck. I am just happy to have it working. I like it better than Telenav at least on the 8900 although I did really like Telenav on the Storm.

haggisgirl no está en línea Stack level 2
    Cool. Thanks for the info. I also have a puck from my 8320 and prefer Mapquest Navigator to the others but hadn't tried it with the puck. I inquired to Mapquest about a compatible version with the 8900 and was told they would have a version within the next two months. Your suggestion will work in the meantime while I'm out of town. Thanks!
    Haggisgirl
    Why yes, that is my Miata. And, yes, it has a Ford 302.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    do you guys want the turn by turn voice directions? if not, the google maps is free and it does a pretty good job (coming from someone who sub's to telenav too, but changed to a non-gps bb and had no puck)

Thank you for the suggestions but, yes, I travel a great deal and need the voice instructions when driving in unfamiliar cities. However, I just downloaded the version for the 9000 and it appears to be working (I only tested it briefly on my way to work this morning). I'll continue playing with it locally and will give it a real test in San Diego when I'm there in two weeks.
    Haggisgirl

Actually, I just got an email from Mapquest indicating the version for 8900's will be released March 9. Hope they're accurate with their time-frame.
    Haggisgirl

Tre Lawrence no está en línea Developer
    I didn't even know Mapquest did voice directions.

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    I use google maps, and amAze. They both work 100% and I have never had any issues or problems with them. amAze gives you real time updates on everything, road closures, traffic, you name it. And the best parts it they are free.

Try them out.
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

mocmylov no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24ab2f41
    I just installed the Bold version onto my 8900 and so far its worked flawlessly. It does take a minute or 2 to find the satellites but after that it works well
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~