I was running a 8350 version using my external puck. On Friday I was pleasantly ... BlackBerry Curve forum

pcwizpcwiz no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32ae40a5

Mapquest Navigator now fully supports the 8900

Advertisement

I was running a 8350 version using my external puck.

On Friday I was pleasantly surprised to find that their new version has been posted. I have been running it since Friday and it works great.

Despite being cheaper than Telenav I like it better. I find it easier to read on the 8900.

I am not sure if they offer a free trial but go check it out. The OTA download link is: http://mapquestdtc.telmap.com/ota

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    So have you deleted your Telenav contract and is Mapquest still able to activate your GPS without the Telenav?
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    32ae40a5
    Yes I deleted telenav long ago when I got the 8350 version working with my gps puck.
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    So have you deleted your Telenav contract and is Mapquest still able to activate your GPS without the Telenav?
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

I tried to download it this am using the link you posted above - "download failed" both times.

Evidently you have to go to their site to get the 7-day free trial instead. Gonna do that next.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Couldn't get it there either - they don't list Alltel OR the 8330 on their trial offering.

PIN/ID
    32ae40a5
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Couldn't get it there either - they don't list Alltel OR the 8330 on their trial offering.
    Not sure what's up with that. I was a subscriber and just went to that link and started downloading it.

I will check the link. I did retype it so maybe fat fingers strikes again.

I clicked my link and it worked again:

Here is the direct link for 8900 http://mapquestdtc.telmap.com/mqn/89...gator_full.jad

It's not the link - the download failed on the one you provided in your 1st post probably because I'm not a subscriber. When I went to their site on my p-c to get it they didn't list a 8330 for either Alltel (me) or Verizon - they DO list one for Sprint which is you and you're evidently a subscriber too. That's why you're not having a problem.

I shot support an email and asked them how the "other half" is supposed to buy OR try the product. Haven't heard back yet. Will post....

PIN/ID
    32ae40a5
    Not sprint - Tmobile for me. Since I posted about the 8900 I assumed you were Tmobile or at least GSM. I am not sure they have compatability with Verizon phones. Remember it was only recently that Verizon unlocked the GPS on their Curves. I had tried a few phones 9000, etc for a version that would work with my 8900 and puck and the 8350 seemed to work just fine.

Sorry, I thought you had mentioned Sprint. Evidently they don't support Verizon (or Alltel) - the GPS STILL isn't unlocked on my Alltel 8330 which REALLY makes me mad. I thought, however, that maybe Mapquest Navigator could do it. I guess I was wrong.

I've looked around and NO ONE has the answer to unlocking GPS on those phones whose carriers lock them. Very annoying to say the least. I used Telenav ($10/month) and would have kept it but it's not that great IMO so I dumped it.